Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wait - they'll beat PR or Cavaliers soon enough and it will change

I know you're being hypothetical and all, but they probably won't beat either corps soon. But if the time does come when they perform better than the Illinois corps, I'll be cheering for them.

btw George, how did you react when Cadets won worlds?

btw George, how did you react when Cadets won worlds?

OK, I'm stickin' up for george here. That wasn't necessary.

i live 90 minutes from the Sponsored by YEA corps.

I have loved Phantom since 1977. Cavies I do like most years.

At Allentown, the hometown of the YEA corps, cavies and Phantom...and BD abd SCV got as good if not louder reactions as the cadets.

maybe it's just people liking good drum corps regardless of geogrpahy. When cavies won in 95 in Buffalo I dont recall East Coast fans being ######. same in 94 in Boston with BD

Oh come on, we were all thinking it.

No, actually I'd forgotten about it. And while we're on topic, congrats to the Cadets for hanging onto top five in a year where that's truly an accomplishment!! (Even though they knocked my beloved SCV out :( )

just wait - they'll beat PR or Cavaliers soon enough and it will change

Not if they keep showing a great attitude it won't.

SCV has been loved in the midwest since they first came here in the early 70s and started kicking the crap out of the midwestern powerhouses. Cavaliers and Madison had the most to lose back then - but both corps and their local fan bases have never shown anything but respect and admiration for the Vanguard organization, because Gale Royer and the Vanguard never showed anything but class to their competitors and modesty for their accomplishments. Outside of PR and Cavaliers last night, no one got as much love from the audience as SCV. Those sorts of attitudes don't change fast.

But if Vanguard ever started trash talking others or publicly taking the approach that "we're getting screwed by the judges", it would change in a heartbeat.

Most midwestern corps have histories of humble beginnings, small corps that blossomed as a group of kids grew together and their leadership established themselves. Star never had that sort of component to their history. The corps was willed into being by one very smart, very strong businessman. As such, it was a little hard to get warm and fuzzy about them, since they weren't a product of a community, but of one personal vision. NOW, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's gonna make for a little different relationship with the fan base than is shared by most of the corps who grew over time and with community involvement.

Edited by mobrien