Full-package shows and total integration

The Cavaliers have just won another Championship with an original music concept-show. And the "music vs visual" thread has come up a few times in the past week or so. I gotta ask, how do we feel about the Cavaliers way of designing shows that just "fit" altogether? Are full-package-shows and total integration of music and visual the way most corps will start to move? Or are Cavies the only ones who will try it, and pull it off.

Look at 2003 Cavaliers. Spin Cycle. If you took a drum corps fan who had never seen or heard of that show or it's title, I bet if you just played him the music and asked him what it is about, he would be able to tell you something along the lines of "a cycle" or "rotations" or "start to finish to start again". He would basically "get" the show without even knowing the title beforehand. And if you took that same fan and only showed him the video, but muted, I bet he would still be able to "get" the show. That's the way the Cavies write their shows. Both aspects work to convey the overall concept very well, even by themselves. And when they are combined, the overall product is astonishing. When you watch "Spin Cycle", you can almost hear what it would sound like without even needing to listen to it. When you listen to "MACHINE" you can see what they are doing in your head and understand what it's about without even really needing to see the drill. Maybe the music is simple, maybe some don't like it. But I highly doubt that anybody doesn't "get" their shows from watching or listening to either aspect.

Contrast that with "Faust". While not my cup of tea, their music is beyond great. I'll admit that. But if you had never heard the title of the show, and weren't seeing the guard portray the story, could you really guess the show is about Faust? Even if you were watching and listening to the show, but deleted the "demon squad" and "Margaret" would you think their show is about Faust? And just so I'm not a Phantom hater, let's use one of my favorite shows of all time" SCV's "Sound Shape and Color". Does that show really fit the title? Does anything in the music convey that theme so well that you don't need the drill to get it? It doesn't to me. Even if you were watching AND listening to Cadets "Beyond the Looking Glass" but somehow deleted the actors from the show, would the rest of the show have anything at all to do with Alice in Wonderland?

The Cavaliers are pretty much on the forefront with this. Some corps have been able to integrate with varied levels of success in the past, but I don't think any have done it to the level that the Cavaliers have. Now it can be argued, and I have even argued this myself in the past, that shows are not "meant" to be experienced as single aspects. A show is meant to be viewed and listened to live at a stadium. The individual parts are not supposed to really stand apart. That's not what the season is about. But to reach the level of integration the Cavaliers have, each aspect can stand by itself, and when combined, is more than the sum of it's parts. With the other shows I mentioned in the previous paragraph, it seems that only one part of the corps, mainly the guard, is really telling the story. And the music and drill don't have a whole lot to do with it. But with the Cavaliers, each part of the show carries the concept. And they all do it better together.

How does DCP feel about this? Is this the next big thing for drum corps? Are more corps going to start achieving that level of total show concept?

Is that something we even want or care about?

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

there have been shows like you like, and shows with characters as long as i can remember. i don't see either one becoming THE in thing, but i see both styles continuing

I'm not sure I understand your post.

Regiment and Cavaliers have two completely different approaches to drum corps programming.

The music for Regiment's show could've been any number of works, but the ones chosen seem to really convey the feelings of the storyline at its various points. I don't know that I agree with you that you can't tell something about the show just from the music--it is basically sinister, then beautiful/devout, then angry/mean, then majestic. It does what it needs to do, like Cavaliers show. If I were going to guess a storyline from that, it may not be Faust, but I'd venture that anyone would've gotten the good/evil idea from it.

But you're point seems to ignore the obvious--this is drum corps. It's music and visual; seeing or hearing only one aspect leaves an incomplete taste of the show. The visual portrayal of the Faustian storyline was essential to the product, as much as the visual representation of machines was essential for the success of the Cavaliers show.

I would not agree that Cavaliers show was more the "total package" than Regiment. Regiment's show evolved so much that by finals night, it was a complete package visually and musically, with a storyline that wrapped everything up in a coherent statement. The typical fan definitely got the good/evil Faustian storyline--the place went nuts for the show.

Here's a counter idea: Maybe Regiment and BD's success shows that corps can still tell a story and do well with it, rather than be content with conveying concepts.

One's not better than the other. Just my opinion, of course.

I think the thing about Cavaliers' show this season was that in addition to being a total package, there was no extraneous anything on the field. Everything that happened during the show was based in the machine theme. While other corps have a full package, I do not think that they integrate the idea of a theme as fully into their performance.

That being said, I don't necessarily see that as the most important thing in a show. I liked Cavies, but that show is probably around sixth or seventh for me this year, in terms of enjoyment, not execution. It awes me, though, how well designed it was.

Wave of the future? No, it's continuing from MANY years past. Total integration is nothing new at all. How about Santa Clara playing Phantom of the Opera in 1988 and 1989? That's just one example...

No doubt, Cavaliers know how to design a show around their strengths.

Edited by Tommeee

If you played the music only of a Cavaliers show for most average fans they would NOT get the show, with the exception of 2004. You could play the average fan 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2006 and they would have a hard time getting the show just by listening. Their production depend on the whole effect, music plus visual.

Phantom Regiment is much more of a musical treat without the visual than many corps are. They are just fantastic with visual as well. This isn't to say the Cavaliers are bad when listening to music only, but Phantom, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and even Cadets, would generate a more fan-friendly music-only concert.

There is a place for the type of integration that the Cavaliers use. It's great stuff. I would not call it total integration or the total package however. Phantom Regiment also has a total package. The Bluecoats had a total package. I mean, what does that mean anyway? Are we saying some corps have incomplete packages? Certainly not, we just aren't getting to the crux of the issue.

In all shows, each corps gives different weight or importance to different aspects like music, effect, drill, guard, and characters.

The Cavaliers tend to go for a more even approach with drill and music giving just as much, but then they vary that over the course of the show. They add effect to the drill or to the music. They mix it up.

Phantom tends to put more weight on music. Music comes first, then drill and effect, and all the rest. There are times Phantom mixes it up as well, but not to the level that the Cavaliers do. This does not make the Cavaliers better or Phantom better. It is a different approach.

The truth is this: we are more affected by what we hear than what we see. The Madison Scout Reunion Alumni Project showed us that. Simple, easy moves, and less frequent moves, yet exciting and powerful music = fans going bazerk like there is no tomorrow.

Phantom played music that the crowd hungered for, that they could feel in their bones and be passionate about, and that had the crowd roaring.

Above all else, drum corps was first introduced as a musical activity, and at its core it still is. It is a musical activity with all the extras of staging, drill, effect, props, characters, and more. But music is its core, its heart beat, and those corps who play the best music and bring that power of emotion to the crowd will be rewarded with the most crowd appreciation.

This doesn't mean these corps will always place high, since our sheets tend to judge too much of the design aspect and do not focus enough on the performance of the kids. I am personally for a revamp of the judging sheets show that they look like this:

1. Brass Performance = 20

2. Percussion Performance = 20

3. Guard Performance = 20

4. Marching Performance = 20

5. General Effect = 20

Demand would be build into each caption, along with artistry, construction, and ability to communicate, but the bulk of these sheets are about how the kids perform. We reward show design and show designers more than the kids.

Bottom line: there are many effective ways to take all the elements and integrate your show, but the most powerful way is to put music first and build around that. You may not always win, but chances are the fans will love you.

Keep in mind, the Cavaliers were loved by many this year, and they did win high brass, so it's not like they are ignoring the musical end. Their music simply doesn't generate the passion and power that other types of music can and do. So they need the visual to really sell their point, and they do that better than anyone.

I saw Phantom's show as a full package, but I guess not in the sense you mean. I saw it as a beautifully written and designed show that used the guard to "tell the story". The music enhanced the guard's portion and the guard enhanced the music portion of the show. This show told the story without need of narration or amplified vocals. I felt the whole concept from music, to colors used with the guard, to the "lead characters" was well executed. I liked the fact that while Margaret was a focal character at times she was just part of the entire guard at other times. She was in the forefront when the story needed it, but then blended into the flag line when she was not the focus of the story or show. Other shows have focused on one charater and that becomes a distraction to me and I could not enjoy the "entire package".

The Cavies have always seemed to integrate the guard into the show where it is one Corps and not hornline, percussion and guard. I've seen shows over the years where the guard just did not seem to be "part of the show" but almost an after thought.

Just my humble opinion. B)

CorpsMom13

I think it is horrible overstated how the Cavaliers have a more integrated concept. Yes, you may be more constantly reminded of their theme; however, their theme is much simpler. It is a lot easier to remind people simply of a "machine" than of a story with peaks and valleys; hence, it can take shows such as Regiment's longer to develop themes. So... they are developed throughout the course of entire pieces rather than having the same one theme hammered on every 2 seconds. Not saying that either way is better or worse, just that I think it is silly to assume picking an easy theme and making everything hit that theme all the time is the "best" way to go. I mean, come on, the winning margin was only .35, and let's not forget that Cavaliers also won a title last time they did a show based on normal music. It isn't like their titles don't have a lot to do with other factors...

I think it is horrible overstated how the Cavaliers have a more integrated concept. Yes, you may be more constantly reminded of their theme; however, their theme is much simpler. It is a lot easier to remind people simply of a "machine" than of a story with peaks and valleys; hence, it can take shows such as Regiment's longer to develop themes. So... they are developed throughout the course of entire pieces rather than having the same one theme hammered on every 2 seconds. Not saying that either way is better or worse, just that I think it is silly to assume picking an easy theme and making everything hit that theme all the time is the "best" way to go. I mean, come on, the winning margin was only .35, and let's not forget that Cavaliers also won a title last time they did a show based on normal music. It isn't like their titles don't have a lot to do with other factors...

I hope you did not take my statement as putting down Phantom Regiment. I loved their show this year and thought it was absolutely beautiful! Last year I liked 2 shows in Div 1 and Phantom's was one of those. I felt their development of the story within their show was well done.

CorpsMom13

The way the Cavaliers do show design may not be the "wave of the future", but I don't really want it to be. I like that The Cavaliers set themselves apart by giving us concept shows. Now keep in mind, just because it's a concept show, doesn't mean there isn't a story there.

As far as comparing shows, The Cavaliers were by far the better package. You can't compare corps by Visual or Music alone. Now don't get me wrong, I have drum corps on my i pod. I have alot of different corps, but I love listening to Cavaliers music. The is melody there, I don't care what anyone says. But I digress.

Comparing this year's total packages of The Cavaliers Vs. The Phantom Regiment: The Cavaliers deserved first for many reasons. But, if you're going from a strictly design standpoint, The Cavaliers still win. Why? Because, while PR's show did have somewhat of a story line and thematical elements, it was limited to the guard. You take out Phantom's guard and you're thematic elements are gone besides "low, minor chords = evil, bright, major chords = good". Plus, what if you took out phantom's music as well? Does any of their drill speak for their show? I couldn't find any, and I love studying show design.

So if you had to boil my argument down, I'd say this: The Cavaliers make sure that their masseage is conveyed in every asspect of their design, which is, by definition, solid disign. The Phantom regiment does not convey their message in every asspect of their design, but rather, lean on one or two specific elements to get the job done (I.E. the guard).