Show Concepts

Everyone's clamoring for some more Johan de Meij. I second the LOTRS.

I thought he disapproved of corps / bands arranging and playing his music on the field. When I marched (1996), there was mild discussion about the corps playing LOTR Symphony in '97, but that de Meij, like John Williams and many other bad-### composers have copyrighted their compositions to the hilt ($$$). :blink: I also heard that a really neat corps from Oklahoma called "Black Gold" played LOTR two years in a row (93-93?) and was sued over their performance or something - and that thier choice of music and the copyright violations somehow contributed to their folding. :sshh: I'm certain that the stuff about Black Gold is just a rumor though - I know de Meij use to have something against marching music but came arround to drum corps around the end of the 90's, even allowing and helping The Cadets with their 1999 show. :)

Long rumor short, I would give my lower lip to hear that symphony - just check with the copyright holder or publisher first!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hey, is anybody familiar with a wind ensemble piece called "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"? I played it in band once and remember liking it. I was trying to track it down on Soulseek just now, but all I could find was some really lame John Cale song. And I usually enjoy John Cale.

Has anyone done a show utilizing the music of Tower or Power?

That would be a good, high octane show.

And I know this would be considered old school, but

I would like someone to tackle Los Hermanos again.

I've done some arranging of some of this for marching band.

http://www.esposthumus.com/

You could possibly call the show something like "Warring Elements," or something having to do with music being nothing but tension and release.

With that being said, the soundtrack to "The Time Machine" is pretty good. I'd also like to hear part of the theme to "Requiem for a Dream" in some sort of a nightmare sequence.

You may laugh, but many video games alone have great potential for a show. http://www.ocremix.org/ is a great reference for video game theme remixes of all genres. I've also done some arranging for marching band of some of the themes from the Metroid series. Great potential there.

Last night and this morning (I'm a bit of an arranging freak) I was working on a drum corps arrangement of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydu5Ecju0xE

I've also done a few Josh Groban tunes as ballads. I could go on and on. It's an addiction. Whenever I hear something I try to picture in my head what a drum corps arrangement would sound like. I'd just like to hear someone pull this off!