What Does it Cost to Run DCI ?

I agree completely. It seems to me that they are a bit underpaid as others have pointed out.

as someone who lives in the area, I concur. Nobody on that list is getting rich off DCI.. especially when you consider the amount of time the jobs they have take.. these are all consuming professions.. they don't leave any of it at the office. It goes where they go.

Why?

I can only speak for myself, but I also think salaries are kind of a verboten topic.. not just here.. but anywhere -- in casual conversation, it's considered rude to discuss what one makes. The way I see it, unless you've applied for and been offered the job, it's really not something that should be any of your business. I know I wouldn't want anyone looking at what I make for what I do and passing some form of judgement based on that. Again, speaking for myself only.. I just don't think it's an appropriate topic for open discussion.

To clarify - I disagree that the costs for running the operation should not be an open book.

And allow me to clarify.. I DO believe the costs involved in running a NFP organization such as DCI should be public.. absolutely!

But I believe salaries (other than the CEO) should be lumped into a single sum and carried under an operating expense caption.. not blown out by title or name, individually.

When you go to work for a company, you're almost always told not to discuss your salary with anyone else. At my company (and others I've worked for in the past) it is a performance issue to do so.. and we could lose our jobs for it. Your salary should be between you and your employer UNLESS you hold an appointed position (such as a CEO).

According to IRS records, in 2005 DCI reported that Daniel Acheson made $95,004. Mark Goodmanson makes 85,000 as the Operations Director. Ricky Fritzching makes 58,370 as the web developer. David Wilson & Ed Dempsey both make just over 50,000 as the Website Content Manager and Alliance Manger, respectively.

This is all public record.

I am not commenting on how I feel about these salaries, just posting the information because someone asked.

I might work on a full analysis of Executive Director compensation in all Div. One corps. Might be interesting to see. Any interest?

Those are fair salaries for the jobs they do, probably somewhat less than what one might make working for the United Way or the Red Cross.

Blood, Guts and Tears! b**bs

wordriderTerrance

I can only speak for myself, but I also think salaries are kind of a verboten topic.. not just here.. but anywhere -- in casual conversation, it's considered rude to discuss what one makes. The way I see it, unless you've applied for and been offered the job, it's really not something that should be any of your business. I know I wouldn't want anyone looking at what I make for what I do and passing some form of judgement based on that. Again, speaking for myself only.. I just don't think it's an appropriate topic for open discussion.

In general I agree. But for a non-profit, I think it's appropriate to disclose all financials including salaries.

I would want to know if a non-profit is using 80% of it's funds to "self-sustain" with 50% going to the chief.

In general I agree. But for a non-profit, I think it's appropriate to disclose all financials including salaries.

I would want to know if a non-profit is using 80% of it's funds to "self-sustain" with 50% going to the chief.

As non-profits depend on donations/endowments/support from the public, it is not only neccessary, but essential that salaries of the executive staff be made to the public.

I encourage everyone to register at Guidestar.org and look into the salaries of the corps they support.

Do you think it is ethical that some Executive Directors of Corps that did not field a team this year get paid more than others?

Just my random thoughts...

According to IRS records, in 2005 DCI reported that Daniel Acheson made $95,004. Mark Goodmanson makes 85,000 as the Operations Director. Ricky Fritzching makes 58,370 as the web developer. David Wilson & Ed Dempsey both make just over 50,000 as the Website Content Manager and Alliance Manger, respectively.

This is all public record.

I am not commenting on how I feel about these salaries, just posting the information because someone asked.

I might work on a full analysis of Executive Director compensation in all Div. One corps. Might be interesting to see. Any interest?

Actually, as someone mentioned, these salaries are in line, and maybe a bit too low. Dan's salary should be higher considering the size of the organization, the repsonsibility, the scope, etc. I would say somewhere in the $125,000 is more appropriate.

Although this is public record, I am not so sure this is the best discussion to be having on this forum.

Actually, as someone mentioned, these salaries are in line, and maybe a bit too low. Dan's salary should be higher considering the size of the organization, the repsonsibility, the scope, etc. I would say somewhere in the $125,000 is more appropriate.

Although this is public record, I am not so sure this is the best discussion to be having on this forum.

One other point to consider, the salaries listed on a 990 are what that organization paid their executive staff. It may not be all encompassing of that person's salary.

One example of this, in college sports, would be a head coach's salary. (S)he might be paid $100K by the school, and another $50K from the booster organization, plus additional money in endorsements, etc. I'm not implying that's the case with Acheson but just be aware that, if someone appears grossly underpaid, you may not be seeing the whole story by looking at a 990.

Edited by Phillygwm

Looking at the tax forms it looks like you only have to report individual salaries if they excede 50,000 per year. I've looked at several corps and have not found any corps to have reported salaries. Therefore, I don't think there should be much of a consern about corps directors taking advantage of their corps. I didn't expect that to be the case, but if anyone doubted, that should clear things up.

It's also hard to find individual corps expenses for organizations running more than one corps. Blue Devils for instance are running three corps a wind ensamble and other things.

Speaking of Blue Devils. They have the most detailed depretiation expense form I have ever seen. It is completely itemized... down to the individual insturments (each horn and drum is listed... not even grouped like "25 trumpets"). Most corps just lump everything into one category - like, "horns".

Looking at the list, the A corps has two entries for "Electric Organ" listed under "A Corps Equipment." What can they use an electric organ for? They also have "Sound Effect" and "CSIX Synthisizer" listed.

Edited by boilerman_05