Blue Knights 06 Fans

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan since 1999. Great job this summer, BK!

Great show Blue Knights... congratulations! I was blow away when I first saw it the week before championships... the darkness, beautiful sound, and impressive drill... I loved the swarming effect around the "Evil Guard Girl"... great effect. After seeing them on Thursday and Friday and feeling they were a bit off, I was really impressed to see them nail it on Saturday. Can't wait to watch it again on DVD.

This was one of my 3 favorite shows of the season (PR and Crown being the others). But BK just brought such an intensity to the field that commanded absolute attention. And the "ballad" was absolutely devastating, I agree with the person who called it "haunting" earlier in the thread. And that pit! WOW!!! If all you did was watch the pit during the show, that was enough of a visual component to really show the true passion and artistry that made this show so compelling. I had to wear my BK T-shirt during Semis to show my support (because I was amazed at the lack of a response they received from many fans who simply refused to open themselves to such a different sort of drum corps). But in many ways, this was old school drum corps at its best -- fantastic music played well and with a visual design to really accentuate the music (not the other way around).

Also, I am mistaken or was the closing set for the show actually a heart? I thought it was and begin to wonder if the show's theme (if it must have one) was an exploration of dysfunctional love -- such as the gentleman in NYC who blew up his town house (with him in it) just so his soon-to-be ex wife wouldn't get it.

Dudes, I don't post here often, so I'm trying to avoid being controversial as much as possible.

To me, the Blue Knights aimed their show to nobody else but 10 judges. I felt the show to be boring and unentertaining from the upper deck. But then again, I have a drum corps liking that the Blue Knights have NEVER been able to cater to. The Bluecoats have had their years, Boston had a year or two, Crown has over the past 3 years; but BK just hasn't ever done it for me. I like to read threads like this to see WHY people enjoyed the show in hopes of understanding why I'm having such a hard time liking anything they do.

And I'm one who hates it when the crowd does not applaud loudly for a corps, almost as if the corps' sole purpose is to simply receive simple courtesy from the fans and strong scores from the judges. But after Crown's placement was announced, BK got just that treatment from the audience. And as a corps alumn, I know how it feels to not get the crowd to enjoy my show as much as other corps.

Anyway, that's all I have. I'm open to any discussion on this as I'm trying not to come to this thread and be controversial.

It's a pretty cool shirt, too (the show shirt). I picked one up as well after seeing them at finals.

I'm glad you guys like it... I was a little concerned when I was designing it because it ended up so different than my original ideas for it. I was under the gun to get it finished, so I threw the Piano Concerto up on iTunes, closed my eyes for a few minutes, and then put it together. I've been really surprised at the nice response it's recieved.

Agreed on the tour shirt; still kicking myself over not buying it at Riverside (the first one) when I had a chance.

I'd check the bknights.org website regularly. I don't think it's in the online store yet, but I would think that it'll be up eventually. Hopefully they'll also get the hats I designed in there, too. We has Zephyr manufacture them, and they turned out great... a very popular item.

Now that my souvie plugging is over, I'll just say that I'm glad to hear nice comments about this year's BK show. I know it's not a show for everyone and it's not the most easily accessed show, but being so close to the organization, I can tell you that they didn't perform strictly for the judges as has been suggested. Rather, they wanted to take the audience somewhere that they don't normally go. I think they did something very unique, risky, and challenging, and I'm unbelievably thrilled that they got the competitive reward in addition to the pride that the members had in that show and their performances.

Good for them, and I hope BK's artistic identity continues to take audiences into strange, uncomfortable, and under-examined areas.

I had the pleasure of seeing the BK show in California a few times early on, and got the chance to see about 3 hours of their ensemble rehearsal early in the season. I knew immediately this show had the chance to be a great performance, but only if they kids and staff worked their a-- off to make it a great show.

They did, and it became a great show. BK has a chance to become one of the shining stars in DCI, just like another Blue corps from Ohio. I would not be surprised to see BK push into a top 6, top 5 spot in the coming years. Organizationally, they are sound, performance wise- they are very good, and with the suspicion that a lot of their kids come from Colorado, they have the basic foundation as the Colorado schools have an excellent performing arts commitment, at least along the front range schools.

I can't wait to see what BK puts on the field in 2007!

To me, the Blue Knights aimed their show to nobody else but 10 judges.

I don't know if designing for the judges has anything to do with it. This corps has been especially dark since 2002, but missed finals in half of those years. I think making the claim that BK designs for the judges misses the mark, primarily doesn't give the corps credit for designing what many find to be a highly entertaining product. I think it would be more accurate to say that they aim their show to the 10 fans who totally dig their style. Though of course, as this thread shows, it's way more than 10 fans, even if it isn't a majority.

Dudes, I don't post here often, so I'm trying to avoid being controversial as much as possible.

To me, the Blue Knights aimed their show to nobody else but 10 judges. I felt the show to be boring and unentertaining from the upper deck. But then again, I have a drum corps liking that the Blue Knights have NEVER been able to cater to. The Bluecoats have had their years, Boston had a year or two, Crown has over the past 3 years; but BK just hasn't ever done it for me. I like to read threads like this to see WHY people enjoyed the show in hopes of understanding why I'm having such a hard time liking anything they do.

And I'm one who hates it when the crowd does not applaud loudly for a corps, almost as if the corps' sole purpose is to simply receive simple courtesy from the fans and strong scores from the judges. But after Crown's placement was announced, BK got just that treatment from the audience. And as a corps alumn, I know how it feels to not get the crowd to enjoy my show as much as other corps.

Anyway, that's all I have. I'm open to any discussion on this as I'm trying not to come to this thread and be controversial.

Yeah, it's not for everbody, but it's also not for the judges and nobody else. I know this because I'm not a judge. :lol:

But seriously, thanks for the sincere post, and I hope they get you someday, or that you get them, or whatever. It strikes me as very sad that anybody could sincerely dislike every single show a corps has ever put out.