Any news of staff changes for 2007?

Hop mentioned something about some on his blog, but nothing specific at all.

Hopefully the changes aren't within the Crossmen organization. I think they have a good staff set up right now... young staff, but good all-in-all. I think they put together a great show this year. They just need to learn how to teach the kids how to perform it. That should come from experience though... I think they learned a lot this year and should try again next year. Hope he doesn't fire those guys.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It's the same in the sports world- you can't up and fire a coach after 1 year without giving him a chance to develop the people on both the staff and the team (well, unless you're Isiah Thomas...)

I agree with not getting rid of coaches after one year. However on a sports team, the players on a sports team are not paying to be a part of the learning process. The players are being paid. The two really cannot be compared -

The percussion staff for example has just finished year two. Some of the brass staff did a greatjob and the corps could have won high parking lot. They sounded great in the lot before going on Thursday night - when they played their warm up exercises. The arranger has many many years arranging for the band idiom and I think Div "A" in DCA. Sometimes the switch is not meant to be.

Mike Klesch - great in everything

Jay Bocook - great in everything

Matt Krempesky - great in both......sometimes not so punctual

Chuck Naffier - great in everthing

The above are 4 arranger guys who are proven and would help to attract more kids from the college and high school ranks.

Lee Bedis - awesome

Mark Thurston - awesome

Colin McNutt - awesome

Thom Hannum - awesome

Rob Robinson - awesome in DCA..(check out those Reading Lines and Bush 92-93)

Chris Johnson - awesome in WGI open and the top high school programs -

Rich Hammond - turned around the Reading program

The above are percussion guys to put down some notes and who would also bring in staffers.......

Visual

Bobby Jones

John Miliaskus - awesome with the dots on the page

Eric Kitcheman - awesome writing as of recent.

Just add water and here is the "who"

Just add water

I agree with not getting rid of coaches after one year. However on a sports team, the players on a sports team are not paying to be a part of the learning process. The players are being paid. The two really cannot be compared -

The percussion staff for example has just finished year two. Some of the brass staff did a greatjob and the corps could have won high parking lot. They sounded great in the lot before going on Thursday night - when they played their warm up exercises. The arranger has many many years arranging for the band idiom and I think Div "A" in DCA. Sometimes the switch is not meant to be.

Mike Klesch - great in everything

Jay Bocook - great in everything

Matt Krempesky - great in both......sometimes not so punctual

Chuck Naffier - great in everthing

The above are 4 arranger guys who are proven and would help to attract more kids from the college and high school ranks.

Lee Bedis - awesome

Mark Thurston - awesome

Colin McNutt - awesome

Thom Hannum - awesome

Rob Robinson - awesome in DCA..(check out those Reading Lines and Bush 92-93)

Chris Johnson - awesome in WGI open and the top high school programs -

The above are percussion guys to put down some notes and who would also bring in staffers.......

Visual

Bobby Jones

Just add water and here is the "who"

Just add water

and yes I know some are teaching else where.....that is why I have a big list.......hey - isn't Tom Aungst contract up at Cadets this year? hmmmmm imagine the possibilities - hah

I recognize every name on that list. Is the Chris Johnson on your list that same one that marched Crossmen for 7 years? If so, he is a very talented percussionist. I would love to see what kind of line he would put out.

I recognize every name on that list. Is the Chris Johnson on your list that same one that marched Crossmen for 7 years? If so, he is a very talented percussionist. I would love to see what kind of line he would put out.

Yeah - the same guy. When he wrote Penn State indoor, those guys drummed. Musical and tastyyyy......the visual program held them back in a big way back then. I think it was 2000 when they won open in WGI. I saw him at the reunion tent in Allentown in passing. It looked like he was talking to Thurston for a bit.

I know he worked with Surf, Spirit and then like 2 or three years at Cadets during the drum championship years - I thinked worked two and then skipped a year and came back with the Cadets -

I agree, all of us at Allentown kind of had his name at the top of the list of who could get it done. I saw him at MAPS in 2005 at Methacton when we was with the Coatesville indoor group. It was a class show and pushed it the next level for the year. They obviously won hands down. The kids at Coatesville are known for that line. I think he is still there again for the fall.

I know CJ has always held his alma mater (Crossmen and Coatesville) close. He said to a couple of us, I think it was maybe the week before championships, that Crossmen was the only place he ever wanted to teach and give back what he got out of the program for those years. He can REALLY write....and teach/run a rehearsal......and would most likely go on tour the entire summer......he's got my vote for Caption Head! He could do it and would draw the talent and instruction into the program.

Good enough to teach at Cadets and good enough to produce great championship indoor programs. What else is needed?

He would never approach unless asked however - I wish he would though - not that kind of guy. They really need to call him -

Sorry - soap box again - strong feelings - I apologize

As far as Bones is concerned, do we really want to keep changing staff every single year? I think it's doing more harm than good. Maybe we just need to stick with who we have and give them a chance to gel, and get used to working together. If we keep changing staff everytime we don't place as high as we might like, we might never find the "right" people. Some of the staff might be young, but how else do you expect these guys to get Div. I instructional experience if they get axed everytime their corps has a year that didn't go quite as planned?

Didnt the Crossmen keep the same staff for 2004 and 2005? or most of it at least?

Also, I think its perfectly reasonable to expect a faster turnaround in Drum Corps then you would in professional sports. Too many corps out there have done it (a competitive 180) for it be impossible. Tough, yes, but not impossible.

Didnt the Crossmen keep the same staff for 2004 and 2005? or most of it at least?

Also, I think its perfectly reasonable to expect a faster turnaround in Drum Corps then you would in professional sports. Too many corps out there have done it (a competitive 180) for it be impossible. Tough, yes, but not impossible.

I know 2005 had a different drill guy and perc. staff from the 04 season. Same perc. staff this season as last but different drill and brass arranger guy

I agree with the 180 possibility.........once again though last season and this season had most of the same instructional staff..except those that I mentioned..

fred morris was sent in to help with the tour with cap reg this summer...im not sure that DCI called him the director...but he acted the part...and was great at it...many of the rumors you heard about capital regiment are very very true...once again if anyone wants more info please message me...ill be glad to tell you what went on....

Mike Klesch - Crown

Jay Bocook -CADETS / CAP.REG.

Matt Krempesky - sometimes not so punctual-???

Chuck Naffier - WAS THERE ALREADY. JUDGE ?? would be great.

Lee Bedis - MADISON

Colin McNutt - MADISON / CADETS MAYBE would be great

Thom Hannum - awesome

Chris Johnson - not familiar

Visual

Bobby Jones

I think all 3 were on staff for them in 2006