Any news of staff changes for 2007?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about changes but they need a show coordinator who understands what a drum corps show should be. This years adventure into marching band show concept didn't get the job done. They also need to add a marching tech who knows how to clean a drill. Marching has been Crossmen's achilles heel since the mid 90's. Bobby Yarnell would be a good choice. An alumni who has cleaned a lot of Crossmen drills in past years.

"...what a drum corps show should be"?? :rolleyes:

To each their own - I think the Xmen produced one of the best, most entertaining shows of the summer. I don't believe design held them back. They simply did not execute up to their traditional standards, but I loved them.

"...what a drum corps show should be"?? :rolleyes:

To each their own - I think the Xmen produced one of the best, most entertaining shows of the summer. I don't believe design held them back. They simply did not execute up to their traditional standards, but I loved them.

Really go back and listen and watch the show. They performed what they were given. The better they performed it the more it (the construction - arrangments especially) was exposed.

When I read something in Hop's blog about Crossmen's staff having to adjust to the grueling summer tour, I figured they had a staff that wasn't even beginning to resemble a traditional drum corps staff and were pulling them from marching bands or elsewhere. Has any drum corps done well that had a staff full of drum corps neophytes?

I haven't looked them up, I'm just basing it off something I read in one of his blog entries.

When I read something in Hop's blog about Crossmen's staff having to adjust to the grueling summer tour, I figured they had a staff that wasn't even beginning to resemble a traditional drum corps staff and were pulling them from marching bands or elsewhere. Has any drum corps done well that had a staff full of drum corps neophytes?

I haven't looked them up, I'm just basing it off something I read in one of his blog entries.

Yes - however the traditional drum corps neophyte has their hands in other aspects of successful music education or successful design. A div. I top 12 calibre group, 14 out of 15 times will not hand over the entire writing of audio and/or visual programming to a team of caption heads looking to gain experience.

What will happen if this is the cause of no more bones?

Rumors Rumors are out there . . . . . . . . .

Keep watching -

Just heard a rumor of a new show coordinator for cadets plus some big changes at Crossmen. Not sure Crossmen staff were band as much as they were senior corps which is actually a little less intense than even marching band at a good school.

Just heard a rumor of a new show coordinator for cadets plus some big changes at Crossmen. Not sure Crossmen staff were band as much as they were senior corps which is actually a little less intense than even marching band at a good school.

Actually the drill designer - Bobby Jones was great at Reading and if you would look at the video from last year, it was better at Reading and would have gotten in the top 12 with that show.

Reading Buccaneers = planning + staff preparedness = successful season

But he was the only staff member with REAL senior corps credentials and the only cpation head used to structuring / running rehearsals.

If there are a great many changes in a show: 1st the music has to be written in a timely manner (both brass and percussion) and only then can the drill / dot guy write it......

You can only write when the music is finished............each time - version A, Version B, versions C,...........

In the day of technology, each experienced corps could have the entire show written and in the hands of the corps staff asap. Unlike many marching bands, corps can predetermine the instrumentation prior to that first day of camp. If the corps is set up with name guys and gals who are organized, auditions will go smoothly because these names will bring in the right talent. With the pyware program, the drill could be written before January and the guard staff would be very pleased to see pass throughs or suggest changes PRIOR to learning the show -

Back to the statement about the Crossmen staff - they were or are more band staff than anything else. Even some of the staff were used to having others run their band programs for them or they were not used to going in there and getting their hands dirty so to speak. If you teach in band programs where 80% of the band takes private lessons for example, you might be a bit spoiled when it comes to a working scenario or your teaching talent might be misread as an instructor because everyone can already play an instrument with a higher level of profiency........it may not mean you were the god of instruction. Who would have thought - IMO

Performing with a famous group has never really translated into being an arranger or designer either -

Once again I say - will there be a Crossmen for the next season? Going to be tough - I would be sad if this corps folded or was dissolved in some way. Who is going to draw the kids there to this corps? I know I said it before - the caption heads should be changed today.