Any news of staff changes for 2007?

Crossmen have to make tough decisions.

I say tough because some of these guys(staff) are friends of friends who thought it would be great to start teaching drum corps with these kids. I think the Crossmen kids are awesome and deserve the best. There really isn't a conspiracy by YEA to hold them down. The caption heads held them back this year.

Yes, there were parts that I thought were entertaining as did most of the audience and no, the corps did not get dumped on because there was a "hate Crossmen" campaign - The kids performed what was given to them. In fact I thought the level of excellence was better than the level of Rep. Because of their ability level the kids actually exposed the design/programming/ music flaws. The caption heads held them back this year. It was not that DCI was not rewarding effort. The other programs did not have more talent. They had better design and instruction.

Scott will fix it.

The drill can't be written until the brass and percussion book is complete. The visual guy is left holding the bag when the arrangers take a long time to write. Bobby Jones does a great job when not rushed. Reading Buccaneers drill from the 2005 season was great. Actually better than what was written for the bones. However Reading writes their show asap once everything is solidified. It was the Reading show that sold the Crossmen team on Bobby's talent level.

The M.O. of the horn arranger is lateness..........ask around. Time to flat out get new perc. head as well. Just have not seen something like that ever -

Did anyone see the recaps from the Bensalem show? Everyone was on DivI sheets - including SURF........check out what happened in Brass GE and overall visual.

When I saw them in MAryland and the Allentown (the first two shows) I said then what the problems were and I was pelted hard...............the problems still exist and may fester into the college level. (West Chester U. instruction)

There are a great many alumni who are successful in the Allentown area and the West Chester area that could turn that program around in one year. Known instructors with kid drawing power. Known instructors who would be on tour the entire season. Talented instructors with major Div. I instructional experience with other corps. Many have been asking to work with their home team and have been passed up. It is now time to put the corps first and promises to "wannabes" last. Bring in the Staff with the experience to kick butt. BONES WILL SMILE - hah!

Ok sorry - I loved this group and had relations of family and friends in the corps. Just a bit frustrating -

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please remember you have to look at every situation. I know a few times we got fed brownies for dinner after the show. But the day was short, meaning we pulled in late, got down time, had a good meal, went and did the show, and had a snack... There are rumors, the capital regiment rumor mill is huge, but please recognize there are things that you may not be hearing along with the rumor.

I think Capital Regiment was a mess this summer because the director doesn’t appear to know how to run a drum and bugle corps. This was my first experience being a drum corps parent and I could not believe how poorly the group was run. From what my son has told me, he doesn’t think hardly any of the staff or many of the members will return because of the director.

According to my son, DCI brought in the Troopers new director Fred Morris to help out the last few weeks of the season. He said that Fred and one of the Capital Regiment board members who was on tour the last couple of weeks were the ones who held things together

My son really liked everyone at Capital Regiment. Many of the members are hoping they hire a new director and then the staff and members will come back next year.

So basically, the director of Capital Regiment, who is not a DCI employee, is replaced by a third party mid tour? How does this structure work? Does DCI have ultimate control over who the director is? {I can hear it now- lets write DCI and get rid of Hopkins}

Since the shows are governed by DCI that gives them the power to require corps to do things. 'Either you going to let us help you or you are not going to perform in DCI events.'

Without knowing specifics, I don't necessary blame the director for the problems. Some times problems arise that are just too much for one person to handle. I am glad to hear that DCI has the resources to assist corps who experiance temporary difficulties.

Crossmen have to make tough decisions.

Scott will fix it.

The M.O. of the horn arranger is lateness..........ask around. Time to flat out get new perc. head as well. Just have not seen something like that ever -

There are a great many alumni who are successful in the Allentown area and the West Chester area that could turn that program around in one year. Known instructors with kid drawing power. Known instructors who would be on tour the entire season. Talented instructors with major Div. I instructional experience with other corps. Many have been asking to work with their home team and have been passed up. It is now time to put the corps first and promises to "wannabes" last. Bring in the Staff with the experience to kick butt. BONES WILL SMILE - hah!

Ok sorry - I loved this group and had relations of family and friends in the corps. Just a bit frustrating -

who ??

As far as Bones is concerned, do we really want to keep changing staff every single year? I think it's doing more harm than good. Maybe we just need to stick with who we have and give them a chance to gel, and get used to working together. If we keep changing staff everytime we don't place as high as we might like, we might never find the "right" people. Some of the staff might be young, but how else do you expect these guys to get Div. I instructional experience if they get axed everytime their corps has a year that didn't go quite as planned?

As far as Bones is concerned, do we really want to keep changing staff every single year? I think it's doing more harm than good. Maybe we just need to stick with who we have and give them a chance to gel, and get used to working together. If we keep changing staff everytime we don't place as high as we might like, we might never find the "right" people. Some of the staff might be young, but how else do you expect these guys to get Div. I instructional experience if they get axed everytime their corps has a year that didn't go quite as planned?

I agree. It's the same in the sports world- you can't up and fire a coach after 1 year without giving him a chance to develop the people on both the staff and the team (well, unless you're Isiah Thomas...)

Don't know about changes but they need a show coordinator who understands what a drum corps show should be. This years adventure into marching band show concept didn't get the job done. They also need to add a marching tech who knows how to clean a drill. Marching has been Crossmen's achilles heel since the mid 90's. Bobby Yarnell would be a good choice. An alumni who has cleaned a lot of Crossmen drills in past years.

I don't agree with you on this one. In 2001, Crossmen were centered around 5th in visual until a hiccup on finals night i believe put us in 7th. That was the best marching corps i have ever taught, so to say that it was our achilles heel is a stretch. Actually, the music captions were behind visual that year is memory serves correctly.

I'm sure someone can do the research.