"audience award"

I'd say use crowd meters. You know, the measuring tools to see who yells the loudest. Which ever corps gets the biggest response at the end wins the award.

Complaining Field Judges triplefunk. :lol:

wordriderTerrance

Edited by Terrance I.McGee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say use crowd meters. You know, the measuring tools to see who yells the loudest. Which ever corps gets the biggest response at the end wins the award.

Which means the home corps will win the show............. b**bs

I haven't read any of this thread, so I may be a bit redundant, here.

I know(at least in '98) the show in Sevierville, TN, used to have the audience vote who would win that night's competition. Then, I think it was '01? maybe '02?, when the show had reverted to a traditional format.

I always had fun at that show, at least as a performer, since you never knew who would win!

Suffice to say, and I'm sure Sevierville hasn't been the only one, I surely believe that the audience could (and perhaps should, even) have a more active role, if only for finals week.

We've all been there when the show EVERYONE loves comes in third, or fourth, or fifth,...

It'd be nice to have an audience award. And why not? Couldn't the fact that the audience would then be a judge somehow impel all members of all corps' to "sell it" that much more?

Now, to implement a system at Finals would be a Sysyphian task. Electronic voting would only work if DCI went like "American Idol" and used text message voting...

And yeah, thanks again to whomever it was that messed with the Murfreesboro voting in '05 by using a bot... <**>

Which means the home corps will win the show............. b**bs
Precicely. 82 BD's only loss that year was to Troopers at their home show that was judges via applause meter. :lol:

Oh yeah, one more thing:

I'd like to think that home corps' win at their home shows anyways...

It may be esoteric to say so, but I don't think that scores matter the most when performing at home. Maxing-it-out and channelling all of one's emotion to their valve, stick or flag in order to show-off for all those that marched before you and enticing those who would dare to march after you is the name of the game at home. At least, that's how we always felt in Paul Brown-Tiger Stadium in Massillon, OH.

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

So to answer the question of who would have won the audience award this year based on crowd response?

Clearly Phantom Regiment as the roar of applause shook the foundation of Camp Randall Stadium on all three nights!

:lol::lol: ^0^ :angel: :lol::lol:

In 86, in addition to announcing the tradition winner, there was an audience winner award that was given out based on an appause meter at a couple of shows (Cheyenne and Colorado Springs). We won the audience award in Cheyenne over Troopers, Suncoast, and Cavies.

The next night in Colordao Springs, the Cavies won, thanks to their staff strategically placing themselves near the appause meter and going ape. Cavies were great that year, but they didn't come close to having the loudest audience response in Colorado Springs that night. Sky and Suncoast responses were clearly louder than Cavies. This was done during retreat, so we could hear the audience quite clearly from the field. It was not that hard to tell who received the most applause at all, yet the corps with the third loudest response took first, thanks to the staff. Again, not baggin Cavies - I loved them that year. Just illustrating how this type of award can go wrong. Not that I am against it - it's just that it's so easy for teh award to become a fiasco, which lessens the award.

Yeah -- an applause meter would be a terrible way to go about it. Besides what you mentioned, I can also think of some shows that a lot people love, but the immediate roar from the crowd may have been a bit muted because of a downbeat ending or something.