"A" Class?Div II/III Corps that did well in Open/Div I

Ok. I may have the years wrong

I marched in 79 and then was staff for two years. I just remember our corps being in shows that were all class A in the and Bluecoats were there. :)

Well I understand from older Bluecoats that the corps competed in Class "A" in the late 70's. However, I do know that from 1980 on the corps only competed Class "A" in the 1981 US Open and was open class at every other show.

And regarding being at class "A" shows. in 1986 we were at a class "A" or div II whatever it was called that year, and we even competed, however we competed as an open class corps. It is my understanding that the corps even requested performing in exhibition since we were in a different competetive level as the other corps but whoever was in charge made us compete, and I believe we won the show by at least 15 points.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

2 of the corps I taught did well in open (although too briefly)

L'Academie:

won division III in '95

Top 21 division I in '96

Top 17 divison I in '97

Les Étoiles

won division II in '96

Top 15 in division I the very same year (when div II & III could compete)

Top 21 in '97

Top 17 in '98

I miss those 2 corps :(

Later,

Mike

The Blue Devils competed in their local circuit's class B in 1971, where shows were a couple of minutes shorter than open-class routines. I believe you could characterize their transition to open-class as "successful". :)

Blue Knights competed in DCI's first class A championship in 1975.

In 1976, my first year of Drum Corps, the Wausau Story won the class A championship. In both '77 and'78 we placed 24th in open class. Wow, was that really 30 years ago!!?? :laugh:

The Mandarins

They were A60 (div III) when I was marching and even won a title with only 9 horns. Now theyre Div I.

Ken H.