"A" Class?Div II/III Corps that did well in Open/Div I

Okay, I'll chime in with the Argos again.

80 = B class

81 & 82 = A class

83 - 87 = Open class, with Associate in 85.

I should point out that by 85-87, it was still the same people (mostly) from 80! Quite the drama, if I ever chose to write it.

Edited by apoch003

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be cool if there were 34 Div I corps today.....

Well technically back then what was considered to be Class "A" equates more to the Div III corps, and the corps in Open class that didn't make top 25 equates more towards todays Div II. So if you add together the Div I & II corps you get 34 corps this summer.

in 1982, my first year with the Bluecoats we had 40 horns, 22 perc, and maybe 22 guard, and 2 DM. = 86 members and we were 33rd in Open class that season. Today that corps would be competing in Div II or possibly Div III.

in 1981 the Bluecoats had 41 horns, 31 perc, 28 guard, and 2 DM = 102 members and were 31st in Open class that season. This corps probably would have been a div II corps this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually the Bluecoats only ever competed "A" class in 1 show, the 1981 US Open which the corps won. We were always an open class corps even if we weren't always a great open class corps.

OK, I too remember the Bluecoats competing in Class A so I dug out the old US Open Programs.

In 1974 32nd place Class A prelims

In 1975 25th place Class A prelims 46.75

In 1976 6th place Class A Finals 62.45 ( will have to dig out the prelims scores later)

In 1977 last corps on at Fridays day two Class A prelims out of 38 corps 65.85

In 1977 2nd place Class A Finals 70.70 ( Cardinals of Precious Blood won with a 72.95 )

At Butler a few days later they competed in 1977 Open Class prelims (first corps on 9:00 A.M.)

score 64.85

At Butler 1977 Open Class Finals 10th place 65.20

So, they did compete in Open Class at Butler 77 after having competed in Class A at US Open just a few days earlier.

I can not find my US Open program from 78 right now so I am not sure on that one.

Hope this helps! :worthy:

OK, I too remember the Bluecoats competing in Class A so I dug out the old US Open Programs.

In 1974 32nd place Class A prelims

In 1975 25th place Class A prelims 46.75

In 1976 6th place Class A Finals 62.45 ( will have to dig out the prelims scores later)

In 1977 last corps on at Fridays day two Class A prelims out of 38 corps 65.85

In 1977 2nd place Class A Finals 70.70 ( Cardinals of Precious Blood won with a 72.95 )

At Butler a few days later they competed in 1977 Open Class prelims (first corps on 9:00 A.M.)

score 64.85

At Butler 1977 Open Class Finals 10th place 65.20

So, they did compete in Open Class at Butler 77 after having competed in Class A at US Open just a few days earlier.

I can not find my US Open program from 78 right now so I am not sure on that one.

Hope this helps! :worthy:

Thanks Fleabag!! I wasn't going to chime in on this, because I never kept any of the old programs from '77, but I certainly remember competing against Bluecoats in Class A at Marion. That finals show was the best performance in the history of Cardinals of PB, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much record of it.

Any chance you have the full set of scores from '77 US Open A Class? It would be great to get them on Corpsreps.

Regards,

I remember Academie Musicale, who were division III. They were an amazing little corps. They broke into top twenty five four times, including getting 16th in 97.

Vanguard Cadets have always broken into top 25 on occassion.

I marched in the Bluecoats in '77 & '78, and we were entirely Class "A" except for Nationals, where Art & Tom, and the staff, for some reason, entered us in Open Class.

We won Class "A" finals in 1978 at Butler. I still have the patch.

Edited by rrheinlen

Well technically back then what was considered to be Class "A" equates more to the Div III corps, and the corps in Open class that didn't make top 25 equates more towards todays Div II. So if you add together the Div I & II corps you get 34 corps this summer.

in 1982, my first year with the Bluecoats we had 40 horns, 22 perc, and maybe 22 guard, and 2 DM. = 86 members and we were 33rd in Open class that season. Today that corps would be competing in Div II or possibly Div III.

in 1981 the Bluecoats had 41 horns, 31 perc, 28 guard, and 2 DM = 102 members and were 31st in Open class that season. This corps probably would have been a div II corps this year.

Actually, we were #3 in Class "A" (now Div. 2) in 1979. We went "Open Class" (now Div. 1) in 1980. If I remember correctly, there were something like 70-80 "Open Class" corps in that time frame.

BTW: Back then, it wasn't your corps size that made the determination as to what division you were. Your first show of the year was an "evaluation" show.

Well since the corps folded and did not field in 1979 I find it rather difficult to believe you competed against them that year. The Bluecoats were always an Open class corps, the management never wanted to compete in Class "A" even from the start in 1972 when it was a bunch of 15 yr olds (I don't know the actual ages of the members). In 1981, my brother marched then the corps only competed in one Class "A" show, the US Open, which they happened to win. All other shows were in open class.

Ok. I may have the years wrong

I marched in 79 and then was staff for two years. I just remember our corps being in shows that were all class A in the and Bluecoats were there. :)

Edited by shawn craig