Must have T's

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to say it...but without amplification, you wouldn't be able to hear the pit at all while the rest of the corps were playing... :rolleyes:

What??? Hmm....unless I'm hearing something else, I'd say I hear the pit very well in recordings prior to the amp rule change.

The only advantage I see is for pit players.....they don't have to hit so hard or they can use softer mallets.

That's funny...because to hear people talk, the people that attend DCI shows are of a more musically knowledgable background (read :educated) then they were 20-odd years ago. Then again, according to some here, those who didn't "get" the Cadets show this year as a deep concept aren't ready for such art, and were labeled as uneducated simps. Pick a side, eh? :)

Perhaps it isn't the amount of ignorant and rude fans that are growing...it's discontent in general with some of the directions the activity has taken. Everyone handles that in their own way.

Those that were labeled uneducated were called so for the rude, mean-spirited, venomous way they attacked the 2006 Cadets, not because they didn't like their show. Everyone certainly has the right to not like the Cadets show, give me a freaking break! If there is discontent with the direction DCI is headed, how about trying to be fair here and criticize all the member corps in DCI! The truth here is that the majority of member corps in DCI have voted on the current direction of DCI. It's absolutely absurd that the Cadets are always singled out, when in fact the Cadets do not dictate the direction of DCI, all the member corps do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I just wasted my time though, some don't let the facts get in the way of their opinions! If opinions like yours on DCP are an indication of how the general drum corps fan feels, this activity is really doomed!

What??? Hmm....unless I'm hearing something else, I'd say I hear the pit very well in recordings prior to the amp rule change.

The only advantage I see is for pit players.....they don't have to hit so hard or they can use softer mallets.

wait, remind me again where they put the mics for recordings? oh thats right... right in front of the pit...

Those that were labeled uneducated were called so for the rude, mean-spirited, venomous way they attacked the 2006 Cadets, not because they didn't like their show. Everyone certainly has the right to not like the Cadets show, give me a freaking break! If there is discontent with the direction DCI is headed, how about trying to be fair here and criticize all the member corps in DCI! The truth here is that the majority of member corps in DCI have voted on the current direction of DCI. It's absolutely absurd that the Cadets are always singled out, when in fact the Cadets do not dictate the direction of DCI, all the member corps do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I just wasted my time though, some don't let the facts get in the way of their opinions! If opinions like yours on DCP are an indication of how the general drum corps fan feels, this activity is really doomed!

Okay.

Perception is reality to a lot of people.

Even though we all know that there were 12 people who voted "Yes" in 2004 to amplification, people only remember that George was the one who pushed for it for years. That's neither here nor there, but to some people....thanks to the face time the blog, DCI.org and we here at DCP give to him, he's ascribed a great deal more credit to these changes than is actually the case. This year brings a push for electronic percussion.

Therefore, people who only have a glancing view into the DCI miasma will inevitably blame George (and by extension YEA! and the Cadets) for those things that they don't like. That's not truth, but it is perception.

Additionally, there were several threads over Summer 2006 where it is pointed out that Cadets 2006 is art, a new direction...and that if you don't get it, you aren't "getting it" (read: you are a boorish, uneducated simp). We've been through this before, but the important thing to remember is that the show only took what had come before and built on it. Some design issues kept the show from saying exactly what Hop and Sylvester wanted to say, it seems. That's the gist of it.

Lastly, "opinions like mine" are ones that actually like part of what the Cadets put on the field. Considering how much hatred I have for amplification, I'm probably one of the most level-headed anti-amp posters you're going to find on that show, thanks. I suppose my trying to keep an open mind is dooming the activity, though. :P

I know you like the Cadets a great deal. I know you want them to do well. However, let's leave the hyperbolic "opinions like yours" out of this. Flame wars are never pretty.

Okay.

Perception is reality to a lot of people.

Even though we all know that there were 12 people who voted "Yes" in 2004 to amplification, people only remember that George was the one who pushed for it for years. That's neither here nor there, but to some people....thanks to the face time the blog, DCI.org and we here at DCP give to him, he's ascribed a great deal more credit to these changes than is actually the case. This year brings a push for electronic percussion.

Therefore, people who only have a glancing view into the DCI miasma will inevitably blame George (and by extension YEA! and the Cadets) for those things that they don't like. That's not truth, but it is perception.

Additionally, there were several threads over Summer 2006 where it is pointed out that Cadets 2006 is art, a new direction...and that if you don't get it, you aren't "getting it" (read: you are a boorish, uneducated simp). We've been through this before, but the important thing to remember is that the show only took what had come before and built on it. Some design issues kept the show from saying exactly what Hop and Sylvester wanted to say, it seems. That's the gist of it.

Lastly, "opinions like mine" are ones that actually like part of what the Cadets put on the field. Considering how much hatred I have for amplification, I'm probably one of the most level-headed anti-amp posters you're going to find on that show, thanks. I suppose my trying to keep an open mind is dooming the activity, though. :P

I know you like the Cadets a great deal. I know you want them to do well. However, let's leave the hyperbolic "opinions like yours" out of this. Flame wars are never pretty.

Your avatar and signature have been downgraded :(

Dear DCP'ers,

The shirt was designed in 2004 in response to the rule change to allow amps. We retired it 2005 because we figured that 2004 would be the worst of it. We were wrong, as BD and Cadets proved. So back comes the shirt in 2006 and there is still plenty of passion about the issue. People see in the shirt what they want, be it anti amp, anti vocal, anti woodwind, etc. My apologies to those it may offend, but I'd rather wear the shirt than scream like crazy through someone's show because I dislike their use of amps. 2006 Semifinals night was the classic example of all that is wrong with amps: diminished dynamics making corps overall sound smaller by playing the pits way too loud over the brass. When the brass is triple forte, should I be able to hear the pit? Mixers with their cellphones on having their mix called in by someone else didn't help either. It seemed all that was going on was, "If I can't hear the pit, it's not loud enough, turn it up!!!" That's not the proper balance of a drum corps. So thank you to all who support the cause of eliminating this rule. The website has been updated for your enjoyment.

Thank You,

Christopher Aud

I'm really starting to dislike some of the spectators at DCI shows these days. When I first started following DCI in 1974, the fans seemed more educated and open to different ideas. Now days a corps such as the Cadets has to deal with the wrath of un-educated, close-minded, ignorant fans. I don't mean to stereotype all DCI fans, however, the number of ignorant, rude fans seems to be growing.

Why bring this up in a thread about amps since dislike of amps has absolutely nothing to do with how educated a person is?