Must have T's

wait, remind me again where they put the mics for recordings? oh thats right... right in front of the pit...

More things change, more they stay the same.......

Should have saved my DC News article and letters about use of (marching) bells in the mid 1970s and quality of the DCA Champs recordings. Back then the drum line, including bells, moved up and down the 50 yard line basically and the mics were close to the 50.

One year there were a crap load of letters about how the bells were a lot louder on the recordings than in real life. Still remember someone referred to it as "Drum and Tink Tink" corps. :P

PS - Can't see how a "no amps" shirt singles out Cadets and waving the shirts in front of the souvie table (staffed by volunteers) makes no sense to me. It makes as much sense as holding an "Impeach the Major" sign in front of my towns (volunteer) fire house.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies to those it may offend, but I'd rather wear the shirt than scream like crazy through someone's show because I dislike their use of amps.

Unfortunately plenty of people would rather do both

2006 Semifinals night was the classic example of all that is wrong with amps: diminished dynamics making corps overall sound smaller by playing the pits way too loud over the brass. When the brass is triple forte, should I be able to hear the pit?

Why not if that's the way it was written to be? It seems a bit limiting to say that you should never be able to hear the pit when the corps is playing loud. If that's the case why are they even playing? They could take a smoke break instead.

Mixers with their cellphones on having their mix called in by someone else didn't help either.

How else is the mixer supposed to know what something sounds like in the stands?

I wasn't at Semifinals, but I did attend 3 shows during the year, and I didn't hear a single corps who had an overpowering pit, and I heard almost everybody.

wait, remind me again where they put the mics for recordings? oh thats right... right in front of the pit...

I've been to many DCI shows from 1977 to present and I had NO PROBLEM listening to the pit! Yes, the mics for the recordings were set on the sideline and did pick up the pit. So what! :worthy:

Edited by Malibu