End of season 2006. Thoughts, observations,

I have to say when all is said and done, 2006 will go down in the books for me as one of the best years ever. Competition was fierce, suprising, somewhat unpredictable, and very..in the end....satisfying.

In my opinion, this top seventeen rivals the quality and depth of no other since way, way back to 1982.

There is something arguable about each 13 - 17th place corps that could male them deserving of a finalist position.

I want to first say that in the end, any of the top three had something over the other. Each corps was outstanding in their performance and quality. If the trophy went to any of the thop three, It would be satisfactory.

I was lucky enough to make it to Atlanta, but didnt make it for the morning show. I then went to Bensalem, and the Meadowlands, Allentown, then Madison. I love the end of the season, so hectic, so tiring, so many good shows, so many memorable performances.

I could not believe the size of the audience in Atlanta !! Wow....larger than Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando , and 2001 Buffalo, by far......I think they should look into revisiting the area for championships...oops, my bad, I understand Indy is now reserved for a ten year run beginning in 2008 ?? Not a good idea to throw away Madison, Buffalo, and yes even Orlando. These cities have been very good to DCI and to just shut them off is not good business.

There is talk of DCI East being moved after next year. I for one, would like to see it go to New Jersey, or Delaware. Or maybe someone could invest in ASD stadium and fix the top ?

I had a great Allentown this year. Weatherwise it couldnt have been any nicer. Cool, once the sun went down, and low humidity. I had the best seat-mates and found out we both knew a lot of the same people. I was even introduced to Wayne Downey, and had the oppotunity to watch the entire BD performance with him.....it doesnt get any better than that. (Thanks Rita)

I was lucky enough to meet two members of the SCV colorguard also, and tell them how much I loved their show and assure them that in my "expert opinion" they will be placing very well in Madison.

Dr. Dan sat with my Mother and myself during Phantom Regiments performance and it was hilarious to see both my Mom and Dr. Dan giddy like school girls over the outstanding performance Phantom Regiment gave. My Mom walks with a cane and has a very bad ankle, but when PR was over, she lept to her feet, as did Dr. Dan as they hugged each other ...it was so exciting. He explained to her a lot of the storyline so by the time we saw them in Madison, we saw the show from a different angle. We both cried.

I saw Marc Sylvester as I always do in the YEA section. If I were to post here what I told him regarding this years Cadets show..I woould be banned. Good thing he has a sense of humour and I got my usual hug and kiss and a "you are such an ....." (ah the real world, you gotta love it. )

And yes, The truth came out, I was indeed wearing a Vanguard t-shirt on Saturday night instead of the usual Blue Devils shirt.

Now, regarding the corps and the competition...I love the Blue Devils, they are my favorite corps, I forgave them for last year and I got goosebumps every time I saw this years show but I got to tell ya'.

The 2006 DCI title belonged to the Cavaliers, from the first time I saw them.

This Cavaliers show was designed so flawlessly, performed so solid, and full of contrasts nad dynamics, nobody had a chance. This show, to me, was as sweet visually as 2000. Musically, it was one of Cavies best efforts and blows 2002 away. The music was emotional and hummable and just downright effective....the ending ? shocking and disturbing. This corps told a story with no words, as a drum corps should. Humourous too as the "Robots" bent and retracted the forms....LOL LOL...genius, pure genius. This showdesign was pure GE from beginning to end. Opening move with the corps in two triangles and the guard inside.....just breathtaking and the entire show was full of breathtakng moments from start to end. This will wind up as my second favorite Cavaliers show EVER. Right behind 2000's Niagara falls, and may just pass it by the time the DVD's come.

Congratulation Cavaliers, you earned the title in every way.

Phantom Regiment presented what was easily the most emotional show of 2006 and one of the most successful shows of their history. Trying to think back, I cant. Its all a blur.....It went by so fast, it was so powerful, so dark yet so enlightning, so regal, so triumphant. By finals night everything came together and the performance was simply magical. Congratulations percussion, your first drum title ever, and well deserved.

In the end the Blue Devils were third. the 76, 86, 96, 06, streak snapped....Its ok, this show was a winner in every aspect. THe corps rebounded 100% from last years ffering and almost ran away with it all. I think that their might not have been enough "meat' in this musical book" to showcase the talent that was there and needed more music and diversity in style. Guard-wise, as usual, breathtaking. No guard can do as an ensemble what Blue Devils to year after year.

Bluecoats were hot again finals night, re-igniting that spark that was missing on Thursday and Friday. Colorgaurd was awesome and enhanced the corps very well, as did the unique, once again, drill. Easily the "prettiest" drill of the night.

Cadets...so much potential, so many missed opportunities. In the end, strip away the "extras" and you have a really good fifth place corps with adequate dirll and adequate music. I cant imagine where they could have been had they not weighed down the show with so many "extras" ..I will tell you the one thing that I really, really, I mean really liked..the ending where the "alice" loos in the mirror and sees the "Schoolgirl" ..so not drum corps, but so entertaining I have to give it credit.

Vanguard !! Friday nights SCV performance was by far the most emotional of the night, had they performed like that on Saturday ?? Fourth place without a doubt. This show was just amazing. The little things that are often taken for granted, the non stop motion, the integration of the guard....THe way the left the field. A very successful season for SCV and a "watch out for next year"

Blue Knights.....yawn,. sorry folks but I would love to know what wrapping paper was used to give the gift that this corps got. Over Madison Scouts ?? maybe. Boston ?? Maybe. Over Carolina Crown ?? not on your life. Boring, emotionless, dark. Enough of those tye-died silks already. It was a feel good story back in 1991, and 1992, and 1993...enough already, they add nothing to your GE. Bring the lady on tour and have her sell some shirts in the souvie area if you want to help her, stop using her designs already..that is, when the guard actually uses equipment. C'mon ! Almost half the show with all that amateur-ish impression dancing..... spin ! Toss ! do SOMETHING !

Sure, the music arrangements were intricate, and the drill had some nice moments, but this show was not in the same league as Crown and the six above them..what happened?

Carolina Crown: Thank you for one of your best shows ever, one of the best shows of the night, and a pleasing, satisfying superb drum corps show. The perfect marriage of old and new. Once again, a top rate colorgaurd with color, GE, execution and demand. Well integrated into a pleasing drill full of highlights and pretty pictures. Brass..outstanding and even better than last year. I understand it ws percussion that held this corps back, ok, but not enough to be behind the Blue Knights.

Madison Scouts. Wow. exhausting is the only word to describe this show. A messy, mediocre Quarters performance, a really hot finals performance. Why so many people put the guard down ?? Their work is rather difficult and quite effective. This corps actually runs their show. So many Rosander signature moves here, the snakes, the wedges, the pull aparts....Kuddos to the brassline for not running out of steam, and percussion ?? Hot hot hot !

BAC. Leaving their best show on the field Thursday, once again BAC fell on finals night. I still think that they are not rising to the challenge because they are just happy to get into finals. The added purple to the "windows" had no effect and the execution of moving them around was rather shaky in Madison.

This show seemed to peak about three weeks ago, I remember then being ahead of Crown and Scouts, and knowing that it dodnt really have the depth to stay there. It was lacking in excitement and diversity. Good, but not great.

Glassmen. So underrated, so "forgotten" about. I still cant believe how much I have grown to love, really love the Glassmen. This years show was so elegant, so sophisticated, so full of audience accessiblity. THe guard really stole the show with all of their goings on and all of their contribution to the mood and feel of the show. A mature show with a solid musical book and again, a well trained colorguard veres both in equipment and dance. Loved the "ball dancing" .

Crown, BAC, and Glassmen had such solid shows, I could see any of them on top of each other and accept it, I still cant understand how Blue Knights passed them all by......sigh.

Another year, another finalist berth for the Spirit of Atl......JSU. This corps, however, should not be defined by its placement (jus tlike the 1987 corps) Easily the most powerful, most mature, most solid corps since re-emerging in this latest configuaration. Everything about this show said polish, profesional, and experience. I liked this years drill much better than last years, more readavle transitions and much better staging .

Now, how are we going to get Spirit back in the top six ?? They always " get by" and make it in, what has to be done fof the corps to surpass this years output and really climb towards the top ??

Colts. Another great show that just had too many "greater" corps in front of them. Solid drum corps and great music. The signature of the Colts. "As time goes by" beautiful.

Blue stars. How exciting to hear them cheered for in Madison. How exciting to see them big, and adequate and ready to deliver their best corps since 1981. How sad that the shows beautiful, poignant moments were abruptly stopped by un-needed narration. The talking dodnt enhance the show, it didnt excite the audience, it didnt break new ground, and it totally didnt make for an intriguing side effect. Everytime you would connect with whats happening on the field, you were distracted by soemone telling you what to think or what to get out of the performance. so not needed. The show was that good, it didnt need talking. Its a shame. Nobody around me went "ga ga" over the narration and many felt it distracted from the overall product. If you arent going to enhance the show, excite the audience, or elevate the performers experience byusing narration, then dont put it in, it makes it cheezy and amateurish.

Crossmen had a solid show where all the elements came together. If talking has to be done, this show did it right , using it as a gimmic, instead of a crutch.

Capitol Regiment...wow ! What an opening statement ! What a colorguard ! This show is so underrated. It is easily one of y favorites of the year and I cant wait to see it again.

Mandarin. I like the color of the new uniforms, and really enjoyed this years show. A solid corps always that is on the verge of breaking into the top.

Southwind had a great show and would have made top 17 probably any other year. They seemed to lose steam by the end of the season though.

Pacific Crest, Esperanza, and the rest all had entertaining show and really did a fine job.

So, those are just some thoughts I wanted to share with you. It was a great season, full of quality, diversity, and excellence.

This comes to you all a little late due to the fact that right after Madison, I vacationed in the great Bay state, Massachussetts. Touring Boston, Gloucester, Rockport. Drum corps is great, but you cant beat the New England coast in the summertime. Plus I finally, had a dream come true as I am in the process of closing on my dream house. Not a mansion, not an estate, not even a full acre of property, but a small house built, in the federal style in 1753 in Ipswich Mass. It needs work, a lot of it, but it will all be worth it and will take up much of my time, considering that, for now, Im still in NJ.

So, Signing off for now, but Ill still be around, have a great fall season everyone

~G~

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent "review"! It was great reading it and reliving those performances I saw finals night. Losing my voice yelling "VANGUARD" (and this time, everyone around me was doing it!) is something I'll never forget.

another "liner notes" quality post... ^OO^

I have to say when all is said and done, 2006 will go down in the books for me as one of the best years ever. Competition was fierce, suprising, somewhat unpredictable, and very..in the end....satisfying.

In my opinion, this top seventeen rivals the quality and depth of no other since way, way back to 1982.

There is something arguable about each 13 - 17th place corps that could male them deserving of a finalist position.

I want to first say that in the end, any of the top three had something over the other. Each corps was outstanding in their performance and quality. If the trophy went to any of the thop three, It would be satisfactory.

I was lucky enough to make it to Atlanta, but didnt make it for the morning show. I then went to Bensalem, and the Meadowlands, Allentown, then Madison. I love the end of the season, so hectic, so tiring, so many good shows, so many memorable performances.

I could not believe the size of the audience in Atlanta !! Wow....larger than Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando , and 2001 Buffalo, by far......I think they should look into revisiting the area for championships...oops, my bad, I understand Indy is now reserved for a ten year run beginning in 2008 ?? Not a good idea to throw away Madison, Buffalo, and yes even Orlando. These cities have been very good to DCI and to just shut them off is not good business.

There is talk of DCI East being moved after next year. I for one, would like to see it go to New Jersey, or Delaware. Or maybe someone could invest in ASD stadium and fix the top ?

I had a great Allentown this year. Weatherwise it couldnt have been any nicer. Cool, once the sun went down, and low humidity. I had the best seat-mates and found out we both knew a lot of the same people. I was even introduced to Wayne Downey, and had the oppotunity to watch the entire BD performance with him.....it doesnt get any better than that. (Thanks Rita)

I was lucky enough to meet two members of the SCV colorguard also, and tell them how much I loved their show and assure them that in my "expert opinion" they will be placing very well in Madison.

Dr. Dan sat with my Mother and myself during Phantom Regiments performance and it was hilarious to see both my Mom and Dr. Dan giddy like school girls over the outstanding performance Phantom Regiment gave. My Mom walks with a cane and has a very bad ankle, but when PR was over, she lept to her feet, as did Dr. Dan as they hugged each other ...it was so exciting. He explained to her a lot of the storyline so by the time we saw them in Madison, we saw the show from a different angle. We both cried.

I saw Marc Sylvester as I always do in the YEA section. If I were to post here what I told him regarding this years Cadets show..I woould be banned. Good thing he has a sense of humour and I got my usual hug and kiss and a "you are such an ....." (ah the real world, you gotta love it. )

And yes, The truth came out, I was indeed wearing a Vanguard t-shirt on Saturday night instead of the usual Blue Devils shirt.

Now, regarding the corps and the competition...I love the Blue Devils, they are my favorite corps, I forgave them for last year and I got goosebumps every time I saw this years show but I got to tell ya'.

The 2006 DCI title belonged to the Cavaliers, from the first time I saw them.

This Cavaliers show was designed so flawlessly, performed so solid, and full of contrasts nad dynamics, nobody had a chance. This show, to me, was as sweet visually as 2000. Musically, it was one of Cavies best efforts and blows 2002 away. The music was emotional and hummable and just downright effective....the ending ? shocking and disturbing. This corps told a story with no words, as a drum corps should. Humourous too as the "Robots" bent and retracted the forms....LOL LOL...genius, pure genius. This showdesign was pure GE from beginning to end. Opening move with the corps in two triangles and the guard inside.....just breathtaking and the entire show was full of breathtakng moments from start to end. This will wind up as my second favorite Cavaliers show EVER. Right behind 2000's Niagara falls, and may just pass it by the time the DVD's come.

Congratulation Cavaliers, you earned the title in every way.

Phantom Regiment presented what was easily the most emotional show of 2006 and one of the most successful shows of their history. Trying to think back, I cant. Its all a blur.....It went by so fast, it was so powerful, so dark yet so enlightning, so regal, so triumphant. By finals night everything came together and the performance was simply magical. Congratulations percussion, your first drum title ever, and well deserved.

In the end the Blue Devils were third. the 76, 86, 96, 06, streak snapped....Its ok, this show was a winner in every aspect. THe corps rebounded 100% from last years ffering and almost ran away with it all. I think that their might not have been enough "meat' in this musical book" to showcase the talent that was there and needed more music and diversity in style. Guard-wise, as usual, breathtaking. No guard can do as an ensemble what Blue Devils to year after year.

Bluecoats were hot again finals night, re-igniting that spark that was missing on Thursday and Friday. Colorgaurd was awesome and enhanced the corps very well, as did the unique, once again, drill. Easily the "prettiest" drill of the night.

Cadets...so much potential, so many missed opportunities. In the end, strip away the "extras" and you have a really good fifth place corps with adequate dirll and adequate music. I cant imagine where they could have been had they not weighed down the show with so many "extras" ..I will tell you the one thing that I really, really, I mean really liked..the ending where the "alice" loos in the mirror and sees the "Schoolgirl" ..so not drum corps, but so entertaining I have to give it credit.

Vanguard !! Friday nights SCV performance was by far the most emotional of the night, had they performed like that on Saturday ?? Fourth place without a doubt. This show was just amazing. The little things that are often taken for granted, the non stop motion, the integration of the guard....THe way the left the field. A very successful season for SCV and a "watch out for next year"

Blue Knights.....yawn,. sorry folks but I would love to know what wrapping paper was used to give the gift that this corps got. Over Madison Scouts ?? maybe. Boston ?? Maybe. Over Carolina Crown ?? not on your life. Boring, emotionless, dark. Enough of those tye-died silks already. It was a feel good story back in 1991, and 1992, and 1993...enough already, they add nothing to your GE. Bring the lady on tour and have her sell some shirts in the souvie area if you want to help her, stop using her designs already..that is, when the guard actually uses equipment. C'mon ! Almost half the show with all that amateur-ish impression dancing..... spin ! Toss ! do SOMETHING !

Sure, the music arrangements were intricate, and the drill had some nice moments, but this show was not in the same league as Crown and the six above them..what happened?

Carolina Crown: Thank you for one of your best shows ever, one of the best shows of the night, and a pleasing, satisfying superb drum corps show. The perfect marriage of old and new. Once again, a top rate colorgaurd with color, GE, execution and demand. Well integrated into a pleasing drill full of highlights and pretty pictures. Brass..outstanding and even better than last year. I understand it ws percussion that held this corps back, ok, but not enough to be behind the Blue Knights.

Madison Scouts. Wow. exhausting is the only word to describe this show. A messy, mediocre Quarters performance, a really hot finals performance. Why so many people put the guard down ?? Their work is rather difficult and quite effective. This corps actually runs their show. So many Rosander signature moves here, the snakes, the wedges, the pull aparts....Kuddos to the brassline for not running out of steam, and percussion ?? Hot hot hot !

BAC. Leaving their best show on the field Thursday, once again BAC fell on finals night. I still think that they are not rising to the challenge because they are just happy to get into finals. The added purple to the "windows" had no effect and the execution of moving them around was rather shaky in Madison.

This show seemed to peak about three weeks ago, I remember then being ahead of Crown and Scouts, and knowing that it dodnt really have the depth to stay there. It was lacking in excitement and diversity. Good, but not great.

Glassmen. So underrated, so "forgotten" about. I still cant believe how much I have grown to love, really love the Glassmen. This years show was so elegant, so sophisticated, so full of audience accessiblity. THe guard really stole the show with all of their goings on and all of their contribution to the mood and feel of the show. A mature show with a solid musical book and again, a well trained colorguard veres both in equipment and dance. Loved the "ball dancing" .

Crown, BAC, and Glassmen had such solid shows, I could see any of them on top of each other and accept it, I still cant understand how Blue Knights passed them all by......sigh.

Another year, another finalist berth for the Spirit of Atl......JSU. This corps, however, should not be defined by its placement (jus tlike the 1987 corps) Easily the most powerful, most mature, most solid corps since re-emerging in this latest configuaration. Everything about this show said polish, profesional, and experience. I liked this years drill much better than last years, more readavle transitions and much better staging .

Now, how are we going to get Spirit back in the top six ?? They always " get by" and make it in, what has to be done fof the corps to surpass this years output and really climb towards the top ??

Colts. Another great show that just had too many "greater" corps in front of them. Solid drum corps and great music. The signature of the Colts. "As time goes by" beautiful.

Blue stars. How exciting to hear them cheered for in Madison. How exciting to see them big, and adequate and ready to deliver their best corps since 1981. How sad that the shows beautiful, poignant moments were abruptly stopped by un-needed narration. The talking dodnt enhance the show, it didnt excite the audience, it didnt break new ground, and it totally didnt make for an intriguing side effect. Everytime you would connect with whats happening on the field, you were distracted by soemone telling you what to think or what to get out of the performance. so not needed. The show was that good, it didnt need talking. Its a shame. Nobody around me went "ga ga" over the narration and many felt it distracted from the overall product. If you arent going to enhance the show, excite the audience, or elevate the performers experience byusing narration, then dont put it in, it makes it cheezy and amateurish.

Crossmen had a solid show where all the elements came together. If talking has to be done, this show did it right , using it as a gimmic, instead of a crutch.

Capitol Regiment...wow ! What an opening statement ! What a colorguard ! This show is so underrated. It is easily one of y favorites of the year and I cant wait to see it again.

Mandarin. I like the color of the new uniforms, and really enjoyed this years show. A solid corps always that is on the verge of breaking into the top.

Southwind had a great show and would have made top 17 probably any other year. They seemed to lose steam by the end of the season though.

Pacific Crest, Esperanza, and the rest all had entertaining show and really did a fine job.

So, those are just some thoughts I wanted to share with you. It was a great season, full of quality, diversity, and excellence.

This comes to you all a little late due to the fact that right after Madison, I vacationed in the great Bay state, Massachussetts. Touring Boston, Gloucester, Rockport. Drum corps is great, but you cant beat the New England coast in the summertime. Plus I finally, had a dream come true as I am in the process of closing on my dream house. Not a mansion, not an estate, not even a full acre of property, but a small house built, in the federal style in 1753 in Ipswich Mass. It needs work, a lot of it, but it will all be worth it and will take up much of my time, considering that, for now, Im still in NJ.

So, Signing off for now, but Ill still be around, have a great fall season everyone

~G~

You won't be considered a New Englander until you've stood in line for over an hour for some great Fried Clams or Lobster at a long time seaside fish shack called Woodman's in your new home of Ipswich, Ma.... Been there yet ?

Edited by X DM

You won't be considered a New Englander until you've stood in line for over an hour for some great Fried Clams or Lobster at a long time seaside fish shack called Woodman's in your new home of Ipswich, Ma.... Been there yet ?
We've been to the Clambox, but not Woodmans. Now, I have a reason to go back sooner.

I found another great little "restaurant" last week in Marblehead called "Barnacles" Amazing and of course, they said their clams came from Ipswich !

~G~

Couldn't agree more. I haven't been much of a fan of Crown, but I don't know what the judges were looking at and listening to, but I'm glad they got loudly booed by the majority of fans. They deserved every bit of it. They got it wrong this time. Not a good moment for DCI judges.

Blue Knights didn't start using the hand painted silks until 1996. They also haven't used Brenda Vang since the late '90's. They now use a gentleman whose name I forget. Just thought I'd clear that up. It's sort of funny everyone was happy for BK during the season that they were putting on a competitive show, but since they beat Crown they have received a lot of negative vibe on here. Go figure! Very nice review though - thank you!

We've been to the Clambox, but not Woodmans. Now, I have a reason to go back sooner.

I found another great little "restaurant" last week in Marblehead called "Barnacles" Amazing and of course, they said their clams came from Ipswich !

~G~

There are lots of good small restaurants all along the North Shore there.

Edited by X DM