OK.... as it says in the title, this isn't quite a review of the Scranton "Parade of Champions" DCA show, just a few thoughts about the day:

First..... the rain. It started raining in mid-afternoon, and continued at a fairly steady pace until just before showtime.... then it stopped for a while, starting up again as the Bushwackers were finishing their show and the Buccaneers were getting ready to start. The rain was never heavy enough to hold up the show... but just enough to be annoying.

It seemed that all the corps had a little bit of trouble marching at times on the artificial-surface field...understandably so, since the surface was somewhat slick from the rain.

IMO, it was a good idea to move this show from Lackawanna Stadium to the refurbished Scranton Memorial Stadium..... lots of memories at this place....most definitely an historic drum corps venue.....but with bright new lighting and a nice new field.

I might be wrong here, but I believe this show was NOT designated as the American Legion national championship this year, since the Orange Flag and A.L. trophy were not awarded.....only the Parade of Champions flag and first-place trophy.

It was nice to get a chance to see Doc Sebastianelli and his American Legion crew again...... he is a living drum corps legend, one of the last of the "old guard" of drum corps titans who helped build the modern-day activity from the ground up. I thank him for his years of tireless work on behalf of all-age drum corps, and I salute him and his American Legion colleagues for their service to our country.

Also, it was great to see old friends Al and Linda Hammond, and John Gough. I wish I had more time to chat with each of them.

No trip to Scranton is complete, IMO, without a stop for a bite to eat at Marvelous Muggs. Barbara and I had dinner there before the show, then stopped in again for a late-night bite after the show. The sweet-potato fries are still awesome!

Drum majors Chris Killian of the Bushwackers and Josh Decker of the Buccaneers both expend a lot of energy on the podium... so much so, that both guys kept inching closer and closer to the edges of their podiums during their corps' performances. I thought for a minute one or both of them might fall off, but thankfully, they stayed upright!

Based on what I saw in Scranton, the corps are all rounding into shape nicely for the championships. After next weekend off to spend some time in the "real world"....LOL.... I'm looking forward to a great weekend in Rochester!

Fran

i almost didn't recognize you last night Fran ~ your shirt was so PLAIN!!!!

:lolhit:

Yeah... thought I'd save the heavy artillery for Prelims...... b**bs

Fran

ok world, we have been warned :P

Fran glad to hear the old place has been fixed up. I was able to perform there once, and you just felt the vibe going in

Good comments Fran. Sorry for the delay, but I will have a full review up sometime today.

Maybe that's why I didn't see him.... :worthy:

It seemed that all the corps had a little bit of trouble marching at times on the artificial-surface field...understandably so, since the surface was somewhat slick from the rain.

IMO, it was a good idea to move this show from Lackawanna Stadium to the refurbished Scranton Memorial Stadium..... lots of memories at this place....most definitely an historic drum corps venue.....but with bright new lighting and a nice new field.

I'm looking forward to a great weekend in Rochester!

Fran

You are right, the conditions at Scranton Memorial Stadium were excellent! Field conditions were superior; lighting was top-notch, and the new elevated stands and press box gave us terrific viewings of the visual programs. We also didn't have to pay to park our cars! In all, a good choice. Much better than a standard HS field with low, wooden bleachers.