What changes/evolutions/innovations do you expect/hope/want to see?

What changes/evolutions/innovations do you expect to see in the junior drum corps activity in the next few years?

What changes/evolutions/innovations do you hope to see?

What changes/evolutions/innovations do you want to see?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some corps do a red hot Latin show. By the way, best of luck to 'Canos next year. I'd like to hear more jazz. And, in general, I'd like to see more "in your face" shows. I'd like to see more masculine shows like '06 Cavies. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the beauty and skill of the guard ladies. And, I hope some corps will not lose sight of the fact when designing their '07 show that the genre is drum and bugle corps. Interpret that anyway you wish.

i feel what we'll start to see in the future is corps that can do it all. we already see corps like crown that incorporate so much dance into there hornline. but think of one day when you can here a trumpet feature and then those members put down there horns and do a rifle feature. now this may not be in the next few year but i could see this happening in the future, especially as i mentioned them before at crown. though i say this knowing already that things have been done like this such as troopers having half the corps on flag innnnnnn... 86? im sorry i cant remember the exact year so feel free to correct me on that

The improvements in marketing and overall operations over the past few years has been quite impressive.

The use of the internet as a marketing tool and opportunity for revenue generationis something that DCI and many member corps have also really stepped up in the past couple of years and they really do deserve to be commended on this. I am anxious to see where this can really go, and imagine that the role the internet and television will play in the future will be equal (if not much greater) in terms of revenue generation than the individual live shows.

What I would hope to see is organizations really capitalizing on the opportunities presented by the predictibility of scheduling over the next 10 years. It would be great to see a lot more co-operation between organizations on the operational and administrative aspects of each group, such as the LLC that was created for joint fuel purchaes.

With a consistent finals date and location for the next 10 years, it is possible to create entire tours that are also fixed and consistent. This would allow organizations to more accurately project their touring costs and expected revenues.

In addition, this fixed tour would allow organizations to develop muti-year planning of various logistics.

For example, a group could be able to plan their food purchasing on a fixed schedule, and know the exact dates of payments and amounts to be paid even years in advance.

If this purchasing were pooled among various DCI member organizations, not only could there be an opportunity for volume based discounts, but food could actually be scheduled for delivery by the supplier, to all groups, at a show site, saving administrative staff and volunteers a considerable amount of time and headache. A similar opportunity is presented by sourcing promotional items from a common vendor, with a similar method of common delivery.

Also, with this predictibility of cost and bulk purchasing, combined organizations could look for opportunities to distribute their burden over the entire year, though the majority of their costs are in the summer... preventing the issues of getting strapped for cash while out on the road.

So, something like an extention of Summer Tour Fuel Partners, LLC that would accomodate fuel purchasing... either through seperate LLC's for co-operative selective participation in each (fuel, promo, food) or some structure that would accomodate flexibility based on organization's size and/or needs.

One other thing that I think would be very cool and could help support the growth of the activity would be to create an organization that would be able to provide greater stability for instructors/designers at all levels.

To explain, many instructors and designers make their living from a number of different sources. They 1099 these organization and work out their taxes some how. As a result, it is more difficult and complicated for these individuals to get bank financing and more expensive to get private insurance and often lack options for retirement that other careers may provide.

If an agency were setup, something similar to how various talent agencies might work... The various groups hiring represented instructors/designer would engage the agency, rather than the individual directly, and the agency would pay the instructor/designer. This would also provide them with a consistent employer from season to season, regardless of what organization they may be working with, and could also provide opportunities for health insurance and retirement plans.

The need for something like this really hit me recently when I got an email with an article about a hard working, but uninsured, drum instructor that collapsed from a heart attack just after a parade with a line he was teaching.

Family seeks heart transplant funds for drumline teacher

Anyway, these are pretty much the types of innovations and evolutions that I think would be quite cool and would help keep this activity continue to sustain the growth it has recently been experiencing.

I'd like to see samplers, tape machines, and other electronic music devices legalized sometime in the near future.

Corps return to thier musical roots and figure out that shows that are entertaining are what bring people in the stands, not esoteric, artsy shows.

Why is every other type of ensemble in the world allowed to stretch out artistically except for drum corps.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I think it might be interesting to have every one do a "Best of..." show, pick a show from another decade and play it as close as they can to its original idea. The show would not have to be of that particular corps, just a drum corps show from the past. I know that the change from 13 minute shows to 11 1/2 minute shows will be a challenge, but what the hey!

I'd like to see well enough left alone for a while until we figure out how to judge and use what we've passed first.

Either that, or pass everything that's left (electronics, woodwinds, flying squirrels) at one time to get it over with.

I'd like to see samplers, tape machines, and other electronic music devices legalized sometime in the near future.

Why is every other type of ensemble in the world allowed to stretch out artistically except for drum corps.

"Every other"? Please explain. British Brass Bands? Scottish Pipe Bands? Symphony Orchestras?