Thoughts on Academy

I've run into the Academy kids before a show, and unfortunately, I walked away with a very different opinion. They were rude, snotty, arrogant, and downright disrespectful. I hope that;s not what the staff is teaching them, and this was based on interfacing with a bunch of the kids - it wasn't a single isolated instance.

Sorry.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run into the Academy kids before a show, and unfortunately, I walked away with a very different opinion. They were rude, snotty, arrogant, and downright disrespectful. I hope that;s not what the staff is teaching them, and this was based on interfacing with a bunch of the kids - it wasn't a single isolated instance.

Sorry.

I've talked to many Academy kids in the last three years and have NEVER EVER gotton anything like that...that have been, without exception...most grateful for the praise and humble that they've gotton it.

Sorry.

I know where your coming from.

Sorry.

I know where your coming from.

I have heard the same thing. They seem to be nice to your face, but behind your back when they think no one can hear them they are, like jjlet said, very arrogant, rude and disrespectful.

Meh, I had a dude from AA crash on my couch for a week after finals. We marched together for three years before he moved. Obviously I had no probs with him at all. For the most part, the cats at AA seemed to think very highly of themselves. And of course, they had reason to. I suppose I really shouldn't say much about AA due to the fact that me and my corps will be personally ridiculed for our opinions, however biased they are. As a member who competed against this corps, and also spent time with a member outside of the season, I feel that they were a very well ran organization with a very good setup for success. Let me add, though, that with all of planning that went into this season for them, I don't feel they reached their full potential. Yes, I acknowledge that they won, fair and square. But where can the line be drawn between being the best out of the group and reaching your best? Perhaps with all the talk about AA showing up, sweeping finals, and having no competition, some of the members of the drum corps had a bit of a lack-luster approach to the season. I am not disrespecting AA or anything/anyone that is affiliated with the corps. This is my opinion of the drum corps and the success they had on the field this season. Besides some silly personal comments made about some members of my corps, they seemed like nice enough people with a good sense of sportsmanship. My final thought about this well-ran drum corps is that I hope things go well for them, but please check the egos at the door... unfortunately div I doesn't have room for those.

This is why I hate drum corps planet. It doesn't matter that what is said is true or not, people will believe it just because it is posted. Do I know if the Academy kids are graicious or not...no. But I do know that what you're saying about them is very rude, and an improper representation of your own corps. Should I judge your entire corps on your actions? No, and you probably should not judge the Academy because of individuals in their group, if indeed you had the experience you said.

Also, I agree with GlassmenFan. I do believe that they did not reach their full potential, and that is why I look forward to seeing them in future years.

good job all Div 2/3 this year. It was a year to remember.

Play nice boys and girls

This is why I hate drum corps planet. It doesn't matter that what is said is true or not, people will believe it just because it is posted. Do I know if the Academy kids are graicious or not...no. But I do know that what you're saying about them is very rude, and an improper representation of your own corps. Should I judge your entire corps on your actions? No, and you probably should not judge the Academy because of individuals in their group, if indeed you had the experience you said.

Also, I agree with GlassmenFan. I do believe that they did not reach their full potential, and that is why I look forward to seeing them in future years.

good job all Div 2/3 this year. It was a year to remember.

Play nice boys and girls

It is so hard to control 130 young people, I believe ALL corps members are very good people, you have to be, to be able to do what they do.

Do a few have a chip on their shoulder, probably yes, thats in ALL corps. Please do not judge ANY corps based on an occasional encounter with a few members, maybe they have a bad day, maybe they don't feel well, maybe they are tired. Who knows.

However I believe that ALL corps members are heroes in my book, just because of what they do.

How some of you can "pick on this" or "pick on that" is beyond me.

Everyone tries so hard to do well each year, no matter who wins, if you are a better person after three months you win, if you had fun you win, if you learned things you win.

If you liked one corps better then another thats ok, but don't knock other corps just because you liked them less, look into their goals and vison statements, what are they trying to do with the kids, its the loing term goal of most of the corps to provide opportunities for young people to become better persons and future citizens of this planet.

Get involved in Drum corps, sell suvi's, teach in your local high school marching band, drive a bus or truck, sigh up for cooking,

give back, BUT PLEASE DON'T BE NEGATIVE about this wonderful experience.

My mom use you tell me, "if you are going to say something bad, don't say it at all"

Congratulations to everyone who had something to do with drum corp this summer, thank you, and let's do it next year!!!

Sorry.

I don't know what Academy you ran into, but it's definitely NOT the Academy from Arizona. I've never seen anything close to rudeness, and know for a fact (after dealing with them as a staff member from another corps, and as a fan talking with the kids, staff and supporter crew) that their kids would never be rude, disrespectful, or bad in anyway...they've been taught from day one to respect the activity and those involved with it. In fact, that is one of the first things the kids learn when they join.