OT: Memorial: Maynard Ferguson

CONQUISTADOR--Blue Devils!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to see the great Maynard perform 4 times - 3 at nightclubs in the Boston area. At Berkelee College of Music he presented a scholorship to a trumpet student and, almost as an after-thought, handed him the horn he had been performing on. (He kept the mouthpiece, I noticed).

:angel:

RIP, Maynard

A (very partial) list of drum corps covers of his songs - I'll start

Strawberry Soup

Chameleon

MacArthur's Park

Gonna Fly Now

Birdland

You guys can continue the list.

Sorry but Strawberry Soup is a Don Ellis tune. Nevertheless Maynard was a great player and a wonderful showman. RIP

I would say that Maynard Ferguson is my all-time favorite jazz great. I have probably over 20+ vinyl records and countess CDs of Ferguson and his band from various eras. From the first time I heard his music I was hooked (as probably many of you were/are). I even joined his fan club and probably have some of those old MF bookcovers they used to have. I've been to countless concerts (as many of you probably have) over the years. One that stuck out was a concert he had at La Jolla H.S. back in 78 (or maybe spring of 79). I read about it in the Sunday newspaper and I and a good friend went down to hear the concert. We sat about as close to the stage as you could and spent a great Sunday afternoon there listening to his music. I recall going to school the next day and I couldn't hear a thing-I think for a good couple of days after that. I went to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and even to his tour "opener" at Bob Wackerman's middle school in Los Alamitos (the name of the school escapes me). I even turned down a request to host a concert at the h.s I taught at in the late '80s because I didn't think he'd be safe enough (rough area-still is). Not withstanding I consider it fortunate to march in the Blue Devils and have the opportunity to play his music while I was there. I still feel that La Fiesta was probably the greatest concert number ever played by a non-winning drum corps in the history of DCI. The response we got that night after playing that chart was the greatest I've ever known. Yes, there are his detractors. I remember going to Long Beach State and getting 'dissed because I was a fan of his. So many people have considered his music "loud" "pop" and even "crass". Needless to say, I don't think any of them could hold a candle to Maynard's accomplishments. As I said on the BD website, he was the ultimate "Chameleon" (pun intended) when it came to musical styles and genres. Look at his disography and you can see how he changed with the times. I've spent the day listening to various recording of his and I marvel at his ability to take a "pop" song and put his very own special signature on the music. Don't think I haven't gotten a bit emotional today because I have. He has been a great influence as a performer and an educator and I hope people will see that now that he is gone. As I read on another site, he's the last of the "great" ones to go. I will miss him being here but I am thankful of what he's left us musically. God bless you Maynard Ferguson! :worthy:

Maynard Ferguson was the MAN when I was in high school band. :worthy:

I got the play an arrangement of "The Fly", "Chameleon", and "Gospel John" in jazz band and arrangements of some his other tunes in marching band.

RIP Maynard. You will be sorely missed. :angel:

Edited by Jd83

And the Big Band in Heaven is complete. Sad day indeed. RIP Maynard, you were truly one of the greats!

In 1977, at least three corps did jazzy arrangements of Vesti la giubba from Pagliacci. I know Maynard preformed that piece, I don't know when, but the recording has that 70s sound. :worthy:

Edited by KungFuCharlie

Maynard was by far my biggest inspiration to become a sop screamer. He

was the one that made me think horn playing was cool. A very sad day

indeed. I regret that I never saw him play live.

RIP Maynard, the Drum Corps world will miss you.