Here's To All You Imbeciles

I have a drop down menu of the various blogs that I occassionally visit. Most would bore you. Well, I did my bi-weekly trip to Hop's Blog and found myself dumbfounded at something I read.

It's not George's words, but somebody else's. It's a comment to George and is an ode to all of us ignorant fans who didn't like the Cadet's show. I found it to be in poor taste to read that the Cavies' and the Blue Devils' shows were for the simple minded (implied in the article).

Maybe what it boils down to is that I'm a simpleton.

The interesting thing is that Hop's blog entry is in part about how he does what he likes because he likes it. What's ironic about this author's comment to this specific blog is that the rest of us shouldn't be afforded the luxury of liking what we like. When we didn't like the Cadet's show, it proved that we are imbeciles who don't know anything.

I shall take my seat now.

Read the second comment called "Fan Behavior"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like every drum corps show I see, and therefore don't cheer as enthusiastically for the ones I didn't like.

Count me in as ignorant as well, I guess.

I found it to be in poor taste to read that the Cavies' and the Blue Devils' shows were for the simple minded (implied in the article).

"It doesn't take much to understand a Cavaliers show, it's just ziggs and zaggs, circles, loops, lines end to end, sort of what any other marching band could do."

:rolleyes: <**>

Hop is SO emo :P

"It doesn't take much to understand a Cavaliers show, it's just ziggs and zaggs, circles, loops, lines end to end, sort of what any other marching band could do."

:rolleyes: <**>

Cutlass, I couldn't agree more.

To Paul (the author of the original drivel from hops blog):

Your intellectual elitism is worse than any fan's reaction to Cadet's show. I for one (an imbecile) got the Cadet's show... I just thought beyond the performance aspects it was unispiring. Oh, and I didn't have to look around to see how others responded when the show ended... I already knew I'd sit on my hands.

Now as for as your attack on the Cavies and Blue Devils - You must be the imbicile to only come away with 'zigg zaggs circles and loops.' The Cavies show was designed to be a stuggle of human vs. machine. If you follow the show, you can see that the machines (which are human) are struggling to become more human and experience human emotion. Kind of like us in our modern society (Wake-up, Work, go home... Wake up, work, go home). Apparently you're too intellectual to grasp that though. All you saw was zig zags and loops just like the five-year-old sitting next to me in Atlanta.

You make the Cadet fans more elite than they already appeared. Congrats.

I guess if people don't get it, it should win in your mind. Let's have a contest to see who can make the most complex non-sensical show.

i responded to that guy's ridiculous article too

what an IGNORANT fool...

If any artist, a drum corps or otherwise, wants to elicit a particular response from the public/consumers/judges/etc., then the work should be constructed accordingly. Art can be designed to soothe, excite, arouse, provoke, make a statement, make the viewer scratch their head, and an infinite number of other responses. A crucifix in a jar of urine elicits a different response than an Anne Geddes picture of baby heads in a bowl of cherries or a painting of a bowl of fruit. The response is certainly dependant on the viewers' points of view, life experiences, etc. But it doesn't make sense to blame the consumer for not "getting it."

Star 1993 certainly was controversial at the time. Some liked it, some didn't. We can now watch that show (obviously through recordings) with a different perspective, thirteen years later. Perhaps thirteen years for now, we will look at Cadets 2006 with a greater appreciation.

The top creative minds in DCI are just too good at what they do for me to believe that they do not know how to get the audiences on their feet, cheering and throwing babies. If they want that type of response, they should program accordingly. If they want to pursue art, be "cutting edge," "push the envelope," or "challenge the viewer," then they are taking a chance, and should not blame the viewer (or the judges, for that matter) if the show isn't appreciated the way they hoped it would be.

To Paul (the author of the original drivel from hops blog):

Your intellectual elitism is worse than any fan's reaction to Cadet's show. I for one (an imbecile) got the Cadet's show... I just thought beyond the performance aspects it was unispiring. Oh, and I didn't have to look around to see how others responded when the show ended... I already knew I'd sit on my hands.

Now as for as your attack on the Cavies and Blue Devils - You must be the imbicile to only come away with 'zigg zaggs circles and loops.' The Cavies show was designed to be a stuggle of human vs. machine. If you follow the show, you can see that the machines (which are human) are struggling to become more human and experience human emotion. Kind of like us in our modern society (Wake-up, Work, go home... Wake up, work, go home). Apparently you're too intellectual to grasp that though. All you saw was zig zags and loops just like the five-year-old sitting next to me in Atlanta.

You make the Cadet fans more elite than they already appeared. Congrats.

I guess if people don't get it, it should win in your mind. Let's have a contest to see who can make the most complex non-sensical show.

Great post.