2003 The Cadets - Our Favorite Things

I really enjoyed '03 - the first and only time I have ever seen the z-pull done live - Malaguena was really hot, in about a dozen different styles (enjoyable even though some directly evoked earlier Madison versions). The sops were crystal clear on their very exposed opening to the Fanfare and Allegro. And the warm-up running directly into the show was very nicely done. Crazy clean visuals, great music, excellent guard work - all in all one of my favorite Cadets shows.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I care very little about scores, but I think that's one of the cleanest shows I've seen in the 2000s.

I liked the concept when I heard what they were going to do, but ended up feeling that none of the arrangements were as good as the originals to which they were paying homage .

SCV paid their own homage to "Fanfare and Allegro" in '84, and did a good job of it. The "Malaguena" wasn't as intense as Muchachos in '74 or as fun as Madison's '80/'81 arrangement (still the best attempt, imho). And RPH, on B flat horns, just sounded wrong :rolleyes: .

They were clean though.

Edited by mobrien

This show was a classic example of Cadets just doing some music unrelated to each other, yet weaving it together into a very nice show. Great horn line (only .1 under BD) and best drum line, and what a guard.

If anything, however, Fanfare and Allegro was ok but not great from an arrangement standpoint, and the same is true with Rocky Point. It's tough to bring back the old classics and sell them with new arrangements, especially when 2 of the 3 tunes were not Cadets classics. And I thought their GE scores were appropriate. There was nothing all that flashy about the drill with the exception of a few spots, and doing the older version of the Z-Pull, as much as I love it, did not help. They needed something more clever like the modified Z that they did in 1990. Still, this show does sell itself well, and they were a top 3 corps. They were top 2 in all the performance captions.

The Cadets need to do more shows like this.

It's not just a Cadets thing either. I am starting to think that there is too much story telling and complex thematic development by a great number of corps today. It's not so much Bb horns or mics, or even the vocals (which I can do without), that are causing some of the concern, it's the sheer lack of entertainment. When the Cadets took 3 unrelated works and found a way to connect them in their 2001 show they created a gem of a show. But when they did the same thing this year with unrelated music, but added narration, vocals, too many props, circus-like acts, and some sort of story line, they took focus away from the music and the total visual program.

I liked the Malaguena arrangement. I didn't like the RPH one. Very good show though. I also liked Crusaders version of Malaguena.

Probably my second favorite Malaguena arrangment. Hard to top 74 Muchachos.