2003 The Cadets - Our Favorite Things

This is probably my personal favorite show of all time.

I love the xylo lick in the Malaguena intro (the xylo player was our pit caption head this year) and the whole drum solo sequence. My god, it gives me goosebumps evey time!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they played and moved well,. but musically, it left me flat. tried too hard, IMO, to recreate greatness

This show was a classic example of Cadets just doing some music unrelated to each other, yet weaving it together into a very nice show. Great horn line (only .1 under BD) and best drum line, and what a guard.

If anything, however, Fanfare and Allegro was ok but not great from an arrangement standpoint, and the same is true with Rocky Point. It's tough to bring back the old classics and sell them with new arrangements, especially when 2 of the 3 tunes were not Cadets classics. And I thought their GE scores were appropriate. There was nothing all that flashy about the drill with the exception of a few spots, and doing the older version of the Z-Pull, as much as I love it, did not help. They needed something more clever like the modified Z that they did in 1990. Still, this show does sell itself well, and they were a top 3 corps. They were top 2 in all the performance captions.

The Cadets need to do more shows like this.

It's not just a Cadets thing either. I am starting to think that there is too much story telling and complex thematic development by a great number of corps today. It's not so much Bb horns or mics, or even the vocals (which I can do without), that are causing some of the concern, it's the sheer lack of entertainment. When the Cadets took 3 unrelated works and found a way to connect them in their 2001 show they created a gem of a show. But when they did the same thing this year with unrelated music, but added narration, vocals, too many props, circus-like acts, and some sort of story line, they took focus away from the music and the total visual program.

Agreed. Fanfare and RPH were fairly lackluster as musical arrangements and as musical performances -- they played amazingly well but it was pretty boring to me. Malaguena rocked. Guard rocked, and their cleanest drumline this decade. GE just tanked and kept them from squeeking past Cavies.

Their GE score was too low, IMO. The only thing that bothered me was their color palette for the colorguard unis and silks. But yeah, one of my favorite shows from 03. :)

See, now I loved the colors of the guard outfits. Guardwise, an awesome book full of exposure, just a bad performance on finals night.

I loved the visual program and how can you not love the music. A great show.

~G~

I also dug the warmup.
Me too. My Favorite Things playing softly as the corps moved from warm up to perfect formation for the beginning of the show. Wow.

The guard unis color combination was striking, imo. The guard work during the trumpet solo was excellent. They won color guard in semis but I don't remember a particularly bad performance the next night so I'm not sure why they moved down in finals.