Ballad-less shows

So I was listening to shows from 1997 last night when it struck me that Crossmen's show that year really had no ballad. There was a brief, slow section right after "Birdland," but it didn't last very long before they got grooving again. (By the way, this is one of my favorite Crossmen shows).

But this brings up the question: Would a corps today attempt a show without a ballad? Don't get me wrong; ballads are some of may all-time favorite moments in drum corps ("Fire of Eternal Glory" from Phantom '93 gives me goosebumps every time I hear it). Can anyone else cite examples of other drum corps shows that didn't contain a ballad or slow section?

And what are the pros and cons of putting on a show without a ballad?

Thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was listening to shows from 1997 last night when it struck me that Crossmen's show that year really had no ballad. There was a brief, slow section right after "Birdland," but it didn't last very long before they got grooving again. (By the way, this is one of my favorite Crossmen shows).

But this brings up the question: Would a corps today attempt a show without a ballad? Don't get me wrong; ballads are some of may all-time favorite moments in drum corps ("Fire of Eternal Glory" from Phantom '93 gives me goosebumps every time I hear it). Can anyone else cite examples of other drum corps shows that didn't contain a ballad or slow section?

And what are the pros and cons of putting on a show without a ballad?

Thoughts?

The Cadets didn't have a ballad in 03 or 04.

The Cadets didn't have a ballad in 03 or 04.

Eh, listen to the malageuna part again, thats about it for the 03 ballad. Now 04, I think you are correct, now I have to check out my mp3s.

2003 Crossmen always struck me as balladless. It was really more of an extended percussion feature. I also rather like the show.

beat me to it.

~>conner