why do we need amps?

because.

~>conner

......because Bb horns aren't as loud? ^0^

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, its not the amps that are being place causing the problems, its the speaker cabinets. Not being smart here, but this is part of the problem, not enough people understand sound systems. These should be used as sound reinforcement, not to take away technique or the playing ability of the corps. What it does though is help a corp that has 1 or 2 good players, mic em up, turn em up and you now can sound as full as a corp that has 6 good players.

One thing, through all the conversation about sound systems I have seen is nobody says anything about some of the poor quality systems being used. My question is how can you judge on quality of tone and sound and use a 2 dollar system to amplify this? And then they want to hear the system all the way to the top for the judges. Well ladies and gentlemen, this can not happen with quality sound with the types of systems being used. IMPOSSIBLE. Then you throw in th experience of the one running the board, do they really know how or is it simply turn it up till it feedback then turn down a little.

But my biggest concern is all the effort, time and money and judging put into quality sound of the instruments but then its ok to amplify the sound to the audience and top judges with sub par sound reinforcement. Believe me there is a huge difference between types of speaker cabinets and microphones and it effects the amplified sound a great deal. So what are we all about, quality sound or loud sound? Just my 2cen

Yeah, I think the amps add too much to all of this. Personally the best corps out there in theory shouldn't need those amps. They should be able to play a well balanced show, and put it onto a well balanced recording without any of the ampage. Yes I think I just made that word up. Other then that, amps are just an extra burden to anyone who has to help move the pit equipment, so I say get rid of them.

a simple solution is to have the corps plpace their speakers behind the mic stands that way the recordings pick up the natural pit sound as before but the audience will hear the amplified pit live during the show.

I can think of three corps right off the top of my head from this season who were able to add another layer of texture to their shows with amps in a way I really appreciated.

Santa Clara - those beautiful handbells. Yes corps have used them in the past unamped, but Vanguard made it work better.

Bluecoats - love those steel drums, probably wouldn't have worked without amps

Cavaliers - lots of great metallics and sound effects

Of course any time someone amps a voice I cringe, but that's another discussion. In all, amps seem to be a good tool to have in the box. As far as the recordings, I noticed more than 1 corps set up their speakers right in front of the recording mics. This caused a big problem on some recordings and should be addressed, but wasn't apparent to the fans in the stadium.

Having not attended a show in a few years, I was kinda suprised to see all the PA gear. I was doubly suprised to see a singer perform with the Cadets which made me think of another question. Is it legal to mic the brass with wireless microphones?

I can't remember if it was Semis or Finals this year, I want to say Finals. The Volume for Cadets Pit was just a "Tad" too high. I wanted to yell " Hey you,,turn it down a little bud".

Yeah, I think the amps add too much to all of this. Personally the best corps out there in theory shouldn't need those amps. They should be able to play a well balanced show, and put it onto a well balanced recording without any of the ampage.

Please explain this theory of yours.