Mini-Corps Results

Thanks. We cannot wait to get there. Save for one member we are all a little wet behind the ears when it comes to DCA. I call this our 'Big Toe' year as in sticking it in the water. I am not sure how we will stack up, but we are there to do our thing and have some fun. Reading some of these responses it seems we have jumped into a lively arena.

Just to futher clarify some thoughts. Star United is a small group from the Star Alumni Association who desired to do a little playing and drink some beverages together here and there. We have no professional musicians save for a band director or two. We are not affiliated with Blast or even SOI for that matter. The music is arranged and taught from within our membership. We are paying for this out of our own pockets just for fun.

I personally hope this is something we get the bug to do regularly. Maybe we can get some of you guys to catch our bug and want to come to Indy and be apart of us.

uh huh

Edited by Mike_B

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cough: :cough: Star of Indiana :cough::cough:

:cough::cough:Alumni Corps :cough::cough:

:cough: please :cough:

:cough::cough::cough:I'm begging you :cough::cough::cough:

Well, we kinda did that two years ago. It was fun, though few people got to see it. Someday the alumni corps will probably field again, though more likely for a DCI exhibition.

In the meantime the members of Star United have been bitten by the competition bug. We just might have to show up at DCA regularly to scratch that itch. Mini Corps was fun, but I bet Class A would be better. :worthy: Time will tell.

Thankyou to all for the reception we received in Rochester. Most of us had never been to DCA or even seen a DCA corps before. We had no idea how we would be received playing the type of music we were doing and coming from where we hail from. The crowd response was beyond our wildest dreams and we were very honored to play for you all. Hopefully we will return next year, and hopefully with a full line this time. I am sure we will need it, for now our competitors have seen what we are all about. They will come better geared up and ready to throw one down.

To my Star United brothers it was a blast to play and hang out with you this weekend. Next time we know to bring rain gear, more adult beverages, and some serious air freshners for the vans. Special hugs to my mello brothers and sister, Julie, Chris, & Sean. Mello Power! To our new friends in the Renegades, it was a blast hanging out with you, competing against you, and helping with your pit Saturday. Thanks for extending a friendly EVIL hand and hope to see you next year.

I TOLD you people would like you :P

Congrats on a well earned victory peeps.

... all are members of the Star Alumni Association.

So one does not have to be a Star Alumni to join the Alumni Association? :worthy: I recognize at least one person in the photo who has never marched Star, Blast, Brass Theatre (congrats, Dan). Or does getting married into Star count? :worthy: :)

I am not exaggerating one bit here:

I drove 720 miles this weekend. If the only musical performance I had seen were Star United, I would have gone home happy.

I am digging deep for the right words. Let me try.

SU was one of the finest acts I have ever seen, any genre, any venue--and I've been to a couple. The overall sound picture ranged from stunning to sublime, hitting all stops in between.

BTW, for those crusty old-timers who want ticks, judges with guns, one-valve Getzens and color presentations, why were you all standing and cheering when SU finished?

BTW, pt. 2. It was fun to see Tommie Martin and Frank Ponzo, side by side watching SU, mouths agape in unison.

To all SU members on the board, my sincere thanks for an uplifting, absolutely delicious ten minutes of musical excellence.

Speaking of Shenendoah Sound, thier five-man hornline was remarkable...you first think you're not going to hear much from four sopranos and a mello, but you're wrong. They played so well, and with great balance. The entire audience was very appreciative of them.

We certainly appreciate the response and thank you for the kind words. Now if we could just find some low brass...

I too was in awe of Star and offer congratulations on an excellent performance.

Speaking of Shenendoah Sound, thier five-man hornline was remarkable...you first think you're not going to hear much from four sopranos and a mello, but you're wrong. They played so well, and with great balance. The entire audience was very appreciative of them.

We certainly appreciate the response and thank you for the kind words. Now if we could just find some low brass...

I too was in awe of Star and offer congratulations on an excellent performance.

Congrat's to our new friends Star United! You guy's were awsome! I'll admit that I was concerned if your show would play well with the generally drunk and roudy DCA crowd but you sold it!!

What I love about this competition is that it is a low stress event meaning the scores are important but entertainment is king! Look at the variety. Of the few minicorps I was able to see around our performance Mass Brass- energetic, loud and exciting mix with a touch of old school (shout out to Strutta). Ghost in the cool calvery uni's with Joe Pero dancing and leading a very entertaining ensemble. MineBrass with their steller improv approach with great soloist work (featuring fellow BD alum, Todd Tanji!!) Our own in your face jazz excitiment and now the refined, delicate and powerful presentation by Star. Even more variety exists with all the others that I did not have a chance to see this year. I can think of no better night of entertainment. Thanks to the crowd and all the minicorps competitors for making this year so great!! :worthy:

Suggestion for next year.

Move the seats and the bar closer to the stage. It's hard to trow baby's that far and you spill your beer when you do!