• Phantom 2005
    • Phantom 2006
    • Cavies 2002
    • Cavies 2004
    • Cavies 2006
    • Blue Devils 2001
    • Blue Devils 2004
    • Blue Devils 2006

First of all, it should be known that the Cavaliers brass staff considers the 2003 hornline to be significantly better than the 2002 hornline. Just something interesting to consider.

I will say that I think that early decade Cadets is much more listenable than 2005 Cadets. They were clean, I guess, but I find the tone quality/balance/ensemble clarity pretty lacking. Not trying to offend anyone, that's just how I hear it. You could get away with that a lot more in the 90's when most everyone sounded like that, but I personally feel that the Cavaliers have changed the way hornlines are expected to sound, from an ensemble standpoint. But they got the brass score they got, so whatever. I'm not a judge.

2005 Cadets, great great technical hornline. They have that really bright sound that comes out of Gino's hornline. It doesn't sound the nicest, but can't argue about their technical precision, it's pretty impressive.

They scored high because every brass member played in uniform bright and crass all the time.

It's different, just because of the quality of sound. Your ear wants to fool you to think that they're not in tune. The uniformity in breathing and playing without fatigue at blistering tempos is also a really good score upper.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 Cadets, great great technical hornline. They have that really bright sound that comes out of Gino's hornline. It doesn't sound the nicest, but can't argue about their technical precision, it's pretty impressive.

They scored high because every brass member played in uniform bright and crass all the time.

It's different, just because of the quality of sound. Your ear wants to fool you to think that they're not in tune. The uniformity in breathing and playing without fatigue at blistering tempos is also a really good score upper.

I guess I'll give you that, but I still can't listen to it without cringeing several times.

I guess I'll give you that, but I still can't listen to it without cringeing several times.

all the execution captions stress is uniformity. we could all march limped like pirates, but if we're getting the hit crosses down, it's box five

all the execution captions stress is uniformity. we could all march limped like pirates, but if we're getting the hit crosses down, it's box five

so if everyone makes bad, crass noises on their instruments together, then it's okay . . . B)