Alumni Corps

I have to agree. Allowing people to have the experience of being a Royal Air Alum is really a good idea. I remember being initiated by an original Royal Air in 2003 and it was really cool. The chance to march next to legends that marched in the 50's and on. People from Skokie Vanguard, Troopers, Norwood Park, Cavaliers ect... is really awesome. The chance to march a 60's stlye show, although modified somewhat, is a neat experience. Hopefully, and it looks like it's going to happen the Royal Airs Alum should be back in 2007 and better than ever. I hope to see some of the Madison Alums come and march with us and share their corps history.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I for one would not mind reliving a little of my drum corps past.

Would love perform new world just one more time.

I concur! I would love to see a Regiment alumni corps. Just think ducky, we could end up marching next to Bob or at least get a chance to march next to Reuben and his plaid sports jacket.

Edited by SpookyKid

1994 27th

2002 SCV

2006 Bridgemen, Madison

2007 Anaheim

2008 Cavaliers?

Don't forget the Star Alumni. We were formed in 04' to perform for our 20 year gala, and did the Indy 500 Festival parade that year. Though technically dormant at this point, the alums are stirring now that DCI is coming to our backyard. The Star Alumni Association has already purchased some equipment toward future alumni performances and competitive units. We really hope to do a performance in front of DCI fans in the coming years. Our brand new Mini-Corps just became the first Star Alumni Association sponsered competitive unit ever when it competed at DCA in Rochester. I think we gave the crowd there a taste of the Star Style and didn't do half bad score-wise either.

I considered myself so lucky to have ended up a member of the Defenders.

Even though I never marched finals, I got to tour and see the best drum corps in the world

each summer of my last three years, the first being 1980. That was the year

that the DCI championship was possibly going to be won by a corps from the east coast! We all know

how it turned out, but man!! What it must be like to march in the 2nd place corps! I busted my @ss just

to make 17th place! I couldn't even imagine the hard work, the dedication, the TALENT! But to me, Revere

was a million miles away from the south shore of Massachusetts (when you're a kid with no car).

David Halter

I would also consider myself lucky if I had marched in the Defenders. They were a fabulous drum corps!

For me, Rockland still seems so far away!

And as far as 17th or 2nd, we each busted our ##### the same I would think. There is hard work, dedication and talent in both 17th and 2nd. Maybe the show just happened to be better!

Don't forget how many corps you had to beat to be 17th! I forget what years you marched, but I believe 17th was pretty darn good back then!

well to those out there who have a problem what we call ourselves...."WHO CARES???" I know we don't!! :P

I can say, that as the President of the Bridgemen Organization, it is my responsibility to ensure the integrity and reputation of our fine Junior Corps and it's alumni.

When we, the Board of Directors, approved the idea of our "alumni Corps" we had concerns as to how it would all go. We gave our director George Lavelle very specific requirements that he must adhere to in order for the drum corps to exist and continue.

They were...1) don't ever do anything to embarrass the name, and 2) always put out a product that is worthy of the name Bridgemen. That's it. No more really..but certainly no less. and to this point I have to say the corps has been a great idea. We have a nice mix of Junior corps alums and new faces, and we like it this way! We have all grown from the experience. Could we field a corps of just alumni? of course we could.. but we would much rather act as true Bridgemen and open our arms to those that truly want to be a part of our special little piece of the activity. In other words we choose to be an "inclusive organization" not and "exclusive organization". So, if some people don't like that? who cares... we like it that way. and if we want to call ourselves alumni instead of some other title we will do as we please...

BTW I believe the corps will simply be titled "The Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps" starting next year... No alumni, no reunion, no Junior, no nothing. we are not exclusive to anyone else's idea of what pigeon hole we belong in. We will perform where we feel like and at whatever venue we choose!

Who knows... maybe we will actually just do what we feel like doing..playing great music, in cool uniforms, having a ton of fun and doing it pretty good!

whether anyone else in the activity agrees with that or not.... Now if that ain't the Bridgemen then tell me... what is??

The point is everyone had to work just as hard as the next person - at varying degrees depending on where you came from - at first I was a little sad that there would be males in our rifle line. After the first or second practice I couldn't have been happier.

Some 27 horn players originally wanted to march rifle/guard in the 70s did get to fulfill that dream so I was very happy that they got to do what they originally wanted to.

Anywho, it's great to have only alumni. It's only certain blood, etc. It's fabulous really. I commend any corps that does that.

We didn't do it, I don't know why, but mine is not to question why. It turned out fine and that's what I cared about.

Charlie Poole and his wife would have been shut out had we only had alumni. There were people that marched that had taught the corps or directed the corps but never marched.......that was a fabulous thing also!

I don't have a problem with asking people to come live a dream and march an alumni corps...and from what George B. and Terry told me the reason why it was extended was because they didn't have access to the internet like they do now. They couldn't get in touch with everybody and make it as known.

Heck,They couldn't find my husband and some other out of Staters who marched 27 from what I was told.

I don't care about whether an alumni corps includes "true alumni" or asking those to fullfill their dreams. I think it's pretty cool and would've done Bridgemen with blessings had I not had Ryan. :) And John and everybody at Bridgemen alumni welcomed us with such open arms we were ready to do it...oh well maybe another time. I was just glad to be invited.

But...anyway..that's the reason why it was extended. They couldn't find everybody.

You know Patti actually marched with Boston? She drove me crazy at the last reunion going around singing the Crusaders song..lol.. :worthy:

Edited by Lancerlady

BTW I believe the corps will simply be titled "The Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps" starting next year... No alumni, no reunion, no Junior, no nothing. we are not exclusive to anyone else's idea of what pigeon hole we belong in. We will perform where we feel like and at whatever venue we choose!

My guess is within 5 years "Alumni" will be dropped from most "non-competative" (my term) corps titles as it's just too confusing and harmful to recruiting. Same idea as changing "Senior" to "All Age". Thunderbirds and (Boston) Crusaders have also dropped "Alumni".

There are only 2 true alumni corps on the list...SCV and Madison. I'm sure the Cavies could also pull it off. The rest are more like the Royal Aires... reunion corps. This is not to detract from anyone's effort, but it is a fact with corps that no longer exist and use non-alumni. I could see this getting out of hand. Maybe DCI should limit alumni performances to past champions or founding members.

"Maybe DCI should limit..." You did mean that as satire, right?

DCI has nothing to do with it, except for inviting us to an occasional show. That's the beauty of it. No amps or band instruments to stay competitive, no DQ for overage (!) members. Complete artistic freedom, and freedom to thrill a crowd.

As for those (and I've heard it from the mouths of DCI directors) who believe that senior/all-age/alumni corps are old farts trying to relive old glories, my responses are two:

1) So?

2) It's not all "reliving." I can assure you that '94 Foxboro and '06 Allentown were CREATING new glory.

If the word "alumni" gets you hung up on who is and isn't an alum, then you miss the point of what we're doing. But my 120 fellow Bridgemen and thousands of fans this summer definitely got it.

No rules. Let a thousand flowers bloom, and the activity will be stronger for everyone.

"Maybe DCI should limit..." You did mean that as satire, right?

DCI has nothing to do with it, except for inviting us to an occasional show. That's the beauty of it. No amps or band instruments to stay competitive, no DQ for overage (!) members. Complete artistic freedom, and freedom to thrill a crowd.

As for those (and I've heard it from the mouths of DCI directors) who believe that senior/all-age/alumni corps are old farts trying to relive old glories, my responses are two:

1) So?

2) It's not all "reliving." I can assure you that '94 Foxboro and '06 Allentown were CREATING new glory.

If the word "alumni" gets you hung up on who is and isn't an alum, then you miss the point of what we're doing. But my 120 fellow Bridgemen and thousands of fans this summer definitely got it.

No rules. Let a thousand flowers bloom, and the activity will be stronger for everyone.

:)

Exactly - - I always dreamed of being a Bridgemen and I am going to fullfill my dream this year.

Can't wait.

Here is to the show that never ends -- for all of the corps organizations taking the field this year.