Where was the ovations?

topsops

Yes, it was cold (especially for those of us from the south). That may have had an effect on those at the show. I think the venue is too small. It needs more seating a little higher. It is hard to get the impact from hornlines and visual effects if you are in the endzone or worse...

By the way... how does a corps score 2 points higher in a driving rain storm with gust that seemed up to 40 MPH in prelims than finals?! Something seems very wrong to me with asystem that allows something like that to happen. It is obvious that the show in nearly perfect conditions should be better .

Edited by tpt43

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was cold (especially for those of us from the south). That may have had an effect on those at the show. I think the venue is too small. It needs more seating a little higher. It is hard to get the impact from hornlines and visual effects if you are in the endzone or worse...

By the way... how does a corps score 2 points higher in a driving rain storm with gust that seemed up to 40 MPH in prelims than finals?! Something seems very wrong to me with asystem that allows something like that to happen. It is obvious that the show in nearly perfect conditions should be better .

As I understand it (and this is NOT the "official" expaination) the Renegades got penalized 2 points for soloists stepping out of bounds twice. But their show rocked!

Edited by MCL_Contra

A point about the low stands for impact was well taken. When CV finished and I looked up in the stands the UPPER deck was on their feet..same with the Bridgemen performance,

while the lower level was mostly sitting...or actully those sitting in the upper half of the lower level were on their feet. // so it mey be the angle of the stands, etc.

(but it WAS louder ovations in the Alumni portion!!)

just my 2 cents.. Thank you very much !!

A point about the low stands for impact was well taken. When CV finished and I looked up in the stands the UPPER deck was on their feet..same with the Bridgemen performance,

while the lower level was mostly sitting...or actully those sitting in the upper half of the lower level were on their feet. // so it mey be the angle of the stands, etc.

(but it WAS louder ovations in the Alumni portion!!)

just my 2 cents.. Thank you very much !!

ELVIS LIVES!!!

Ace

The only thing I regretted was that the weather prevented so many people from coming out to see the shows. Especially at prelims, since all the corps worked very hard and put on great shows. All the Class A corps really looked forward to this show and performed their butts off, only to see that there weren't very many people in the stands. (It didn't help that Tropical Storm Ernesto was dumping rain and wind on us.) In any event, I think some of the early shows could be dubbed "the greatest shows NEVER seen." All in all, I had a great time and can't wait to perform again at DCA next year!

Edited by DNgo

As I understand it (and this is NOT the "official" expaination) the Renegades got penalized 2 points for soloists stepping out of bounds twice. But their show rocked!

I wasn't talking about Renegades (I enjoyed their show).

:worthy:

Curious, with such a HUGE crowd at DCA Finals, there was only standing ovations at the end of the shows.

No standing "O"s at prelims. Need not go in to that. WEATHER is all that needs to be said.

No standing "O"s at finals. ( Get the Flame Throwers out)

Now here is where I will get in trouble.

The Direction DCA is headed. The Direction judging is going.

The DCA Crowd is Different from a DCI Crowd. I feel that many were disappointed in what they saw. They wanted Drum Corps.

DCA now has at least 3 Totally DCI corps, in Style and presentation. Three more leaning heavily that way. and more are coming. That is NOT what a DCA Crowd wants.

But as The "Voting" membership fills with the DCI types, so goes DCA. No matter what Fans want or think.

(Note to all you DCA fans. It will ONLY take 8 votes to do away with DCA Score sheets, replaced with the DCI Score sheets. Remember they probably have at least SIX Votes now !!! Judges will be giving the Directors the push needed to get that done. NOT FANS!!!)

The Alumni show had STANDING "O" after Standing "O". Both during each show and after. The Alumni Crowd is growing each year. Might want to take note of that. The main thing slowing the Alumni Shows Crowd growth is the time of day (10am start time).

But so be it. If DCA wants to be a SR/All age DCI unit fine. Have a ball. I wish you nothing but Happiness. ( It will just be Another part of "Evolved" Drum Corps I will skip )

Now that Star and their DCI Style won Mini Corps. I can see where that is going also. (Mass Brass You were my choice)

Fine "Go DCA Brass Band Field Theater" Enjoy yourself. I knew it was coming. No big shock to me.

(Just sooner than I thought).

I just HOPE that the Alumni / Old Style of Drum and BUGLE Corps can last until I am no longer around. I see now, with the Success of the Madison Reunion Corps. That the DCI types are NOW talking about "What is. What is Not. What we should be calling OURSELVES" now.

But Three Cheers to the BRIDGEMEN. AND I QUOTE from DCI area on DCP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well to those out there who have a problem what we call ourselves...."WHO CARES???" I know we don't!!

I can say, that as the President of the Bridgemen Organization, it is my responsibility to ensure the integrity and reputation of our fine Junior Corps and it's alumni.

When we, the Board of Directors, approved the idea of our "alumni Corps" we had concerns as to how it would all go. We gave our director George Lavelle very specific requirements that he must adhere to in order for the drum corps to exist and continue.

They were...1) don't ever do anything to embarrass the name, and 2) always put out a product that is worthy of the name Bridgemen. That's it. No more really..but certainly no less. and to this point I have to say the corps has been a great idea. We have a nice mix of Junior corps alums and new faces, and we like it this way! We have all grown from the experience. Could we field a corps of just alumni? of course we could.. but we would much rather act as true Bridgemen and open our arms to those that truly want to be a part of our special little piece of the activity. In other words we choose to be an "inclusive organization" not and "exclusive organization". So, if some people don't like that? who cares... we like it that way. and if we want to call ourselves alumni instead of some other title we will do as we please...

BTW I believe the corps will simply be titled "The Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps" starting next year... No alumni, no reunion, no Junior, no nothing. we are not exclusive to anyone else's idea of what pigeon hole we belong in. We will perform where we feel like and at whatever venue we choose!

Who knows... maybe we will actually just do what we feel like doing..playing great music, in cool uniforms, having a ton of fun and doing it pretty good!

whether anyone else in the activity agrees with that or not.... Now if that ain't the Bridgemen then tell me... what is??

--------------------

www.Bridgemen.com

John Riccardi

President, the Bridgemen Organization Inc.

81 LI Kingsmen

82,83,84,85 Bridgemen

83,84,85 Bushwackers

2005- Bridgemen Alumni

my stinky blog!

un QUOTE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So go ahead and Flame and Bash me all you want. I know what I like. I will stick with that. DCI and DCA can do what ever they want. Evolve, Be Proud, and enjoy yourselves

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

One last thing.....the whole DCA venue was terrific this year. What an extremely well run weekend....hats off to the people who helped run this years DCA . We know next year will be just as great! Thank you all, from all of us.

Thank you for your kind words. It was fun..... very long weekend but fun. Glad we did something right!

Allen Buell and the people that run shows up their are very good at what they do.

Thanks Keith... Sorry you had to miss the show. Hope you can come up next year!

:worthy:

No standing "O"s at prelims. Need not go in to that. WEATHER is all that needs to be said.

No standing "O"s at finals. ( Get the Flame Throwers out)

Now here is where I will get in trouble.

The Direction DCA is headed. The Direction judging is going.

The DCA Crowd is Different from a DCI Crowd. I feel that many were disappointed in what they saw. They wanted Drum Corps.

DCA now has at least 3 Totally DCI corps, in Style and presentation. Three more leaning heavily that way. and more are coming. That is NOT what a DCA Crowd wants.

But as The "Voting" membership fills with the DCI types, so goes DCA. No matter what Fans want or think.

(Note to all you DCA fans. It will ONLY take 8 votes to do away with DCA Score sheets, replaced with the DCI Score sheets. Remember they probably have at least SIX Votes now !!! Judges will be giving the Directors the push needed to get that done. NOT FANS!!!)

The Alumni show had STANDING "O" after Standing "O". Both during each show and after. The Alumni Crowd is growing each year. Might want to take note of that. The main thing slowing the Alumni Shows Crowd growth is the time of day (10am start time).

But so be it. If DCA wants to be a SR/All age DCI unit fine. Have a ball. I wish you nothing but Happiness. ( It will just be Another part of "Evolved" Drum Corps I will skip )

Now that Star and their DCI Style won Mini Corps. I can see where that is going also. (Mass Brass You were my choice)

Fine "Go DCA Brass Band Field Theater" Enjoy yourself. I knew it was coming. No big shock to me.

(Just sooner than I thought).

I just HOPE that the Alumni / Old Style of Drum and BUGLE Corps can last until I am no longer around. I see now, with the Success of the Madison Reunion Corps. That the DCI types are NOW talking about "What is. What is Not. What we should be calling OURSELVES" now.

But Three Cheers to the BRIDGEMEN. AND I QUOTE from DCI area on DCP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well to those out there who have a problem what we call ourselves...."WHO CARES???" I know we don't!!

I can say, that as the President of the Bridgemen Organization, it is my responsibility to ensure the integrity and reputation of our fine Junior Corps and it's alumni.

When we, the Board of Directors, approved the idea of our "alumni Corps" we had concerns as to how it would all go. We gave our director George Lavelle very specific requirements that he must adhere to in order for the drum corps to exist and continue.

They were...1) don't ever do anything to embarrass the name, and 2) always put out a product that is worthy of the name Bridgemen. That's it. No more really..but certainly no less. and to this point I have to say the corps has been a great idea. We have a nice mix of Junior corps alums and new faces, and we like it this way! We have all grown from the experience. Could we field a corps of just alumni? of course we could.. but we would much rather act as true Bridgemen and open our arms to those that truly want to be a part of our special little piece of the activity. In other words we choose to be an "inclusive organization" not and "exclusive organization". So, if some people don't like that? who cares... we like it that way. and if we want to call ourselves alumni instead of some other title we will do as we please...

BTW I believe the corps will simply be titled "The Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps" starting next year... No alumni, no reunion, no Junior, no nothing. we are not exclusive to anyone else's idea of what pigeon hole we belong in. We will perform where we feel like and at whatever venue we choose!

Who knows... maybe we will actually just do what we feel like doing..playing great music, in cool uniforms, having a ton of fun and doing it pretty good!

whether anyone else in the activity agrees with that or not.... Now if that ain't the Bridgemen then tell me... what is??

--------------------

www.Bridgemen.com

John Riccardi

President, the Bridgemen Organization Inc.

81 LI Kingsmen

82,83,84,85 Bridgemen

83,84,85 Bushwackers

2005- Bridgemen Alumni

my stinky blog!

un QUOTE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So go ahead and Flame and Bash me all you want. I know what I like. I will stick with that. DCI and DCA can do what ever they want. Evolve, Be Proud, and enjoy yourselves

My daughter was there and she cheered and ballyhooed. Is it possible that a good percentage of the corps are so similar that there is no reason for cheering during the show? Just an opinion. Note: Outside of the 2 DCA-Central shows and the Racine Kiltie show, I have not attended any DCA shows.

Annie