Floods damage Phantom Regiment offices

The Phantom Regiment offices were a part of the casualties of the storm that hit Rockford on Labor Day. The storm caused flooding throughout the city and knocked power out to at least 5,000 homes and businesses. Fortunately no one was at the offices at the time of the flooding. The Regiment offices are located on the basement floor of the Burpee Center at Rockford College. The 4-5 inches of water brought by the storm caused the drainage system to fail. Water entered the main entrance of the Burpee Center and seeped through the foundation and into the basement through the ceiling. The ceiling tiles gave way to the weight of the water as they fell to the floor allowing more water into the basement.

Rockford College security notified Regiment management at 5pm on Monday night. "The damage could have been much worse, but was still very disheartening", says Rick Valenzuela Executive Director. Valenzuela along with his wife Lori and Dan Farrell, Program Coordinator and Board Member, spent 5 hours cleaning up the damage. According to Valenzuela, the main damage was done to the corps' souvenir merchandise which is one of their main fundraising opportunities. Damage estimates have yet to be determined as the College was without power on Tuesday leaving the Regiment offices in complete darkness. The college hopes to have power restored by Wednesday.

For more about the storm, go to www.rrstar.com. Click on the photo galleries to see the extensive flooding in Rockford.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully insurance will cover the losses.

Hopefully insurance will cover the losses.

Hopefully. But it's never a good thing to lose that much, even if it's insured. Insurance won't cover things like all the souvies that would be sold between now and when they can be replaced.

And if insurance gives us a hundred bucks for an old computer (one that we could still use), that won't buy us a new one.

Geez.

What exactly was lost. Is there any possibility you could sell some of the damaged souvies ata reduced cost to recoop some of the losses. Perhaps you could take the clothing that was caught and wash them. If a shirt was hit by the flood, I certainly wouldn't mind paying for one.

This is a very sad thing to occur. I hope the corps can bounce back quickly from this. I can sympathize with cleaning flood damage.

Even with most insurance claims, there is still a deductible. Now would be a very nice time to make a donation to PR. I wish I lived close enough that I could go and volunteer to help them clean up some of the mess.

Me too!

I like that flood sale idea. Get certificiates of authenticity "This shirt is number ___ of 400 that went through the Rockford Flood of 2006."

People would buy that! b**bs