The 2006 Cavaliers.

dominate

One entry found for dominate.

Main Entry: dom·i·nate

Pronunciation: 'dä-m&-"nAt

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing

Etymology: Latin dominatus, past participle of dominari, from dominus master; akin to Latin domus house -- more at DOME

transitive verb

1 : RULE, CONTROL <an empire that dominated the world>

2 : to exert the supreme determining or guiding influence on <the ambition that has dominated his life>

3 : to overlook from a superior elevation or command because of superior height or position <a hill that dominates the town>

4 a : to be predominant in <sugar maples dominate the forest> b : to have a commanding or preeminent place or position in <name brands dominate the market>

intransitive verb

1 : to have or exert mastery, control, or preeminence

2 : to occupy a more elevated or superior position

- dom·i·na·tive /-"nA-tiv/ adjective

- dom·i·na·tor /-"nA-t&r/ noun

Cavaliers waltzed into Madison and Dominated the competition, battling their closest competitors three nights in a row and staying in control and in charge all three nights. They did their thing and were rewarded superiority all three nights,. They dominated the competition finals week.

Man, before you call Cavies .3 win and 3 loss season dominant, you need to take a look at stats.....the Blue Devils (and I am from the East, so don't call me bias....) had seasons where they not only won EVERY show, but nobody came within a point of them.....not once......The 1983 Cadets won DCI East by OVER 10 POINTS over the 2nd place corps, and 23-pointed a finalist!!! We have had champions who swept every caption....if it weren't for the 19.9's shelled out in visual (yes they deserved to win that caption, but.....) Cavaliers lose the show.... I would agree they have been dominant competitively since 2000 in terms of winning percentage and titles, but this was not a dominant season by any stretch in comparisons to corps who were far more dominating in championship seasons past.......GB

~G~

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GB wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<Man, before you call Cavies .3 win and 3 loss season dominant, you need to take a look at stats.....the Blue Devils (and I am from the East, so don't call me bias....) had seasons where they not only won EVERY show, but nobody came within a point of them.....not once......The 1983 Cadets won DCI East by OVER 10 POINTS over the 2nd place corps, and 23-pointed a finalist!!! We have had champions who swept every caption....if it weren't for the 19.9's shelled out in visual (yes they deserved to win that caption, but.....) Cavaliers lose the show.... I would agree they have been dominant competitively since 2000 in terms of winning percentage and titles, but this was not a dominant season by any stretch in comparisons to corps who were far more dominating in championship seasons past.......GB

>>>>>>>>>

What are you people not getting that is causing you to ring the alarm here ?? Bringing things into this thread that do not have any bearing on my congratulations to the Cavaliers and their wonderful season.

What on Earth does the 83 Garfield Cadets have to do with 2006 Cavaliers ?? (By the way, I live for stats, was at that show and can you tell me who was second without cheating ?? )

There have been plenty of corps and seasons that were dominant and full of dominating corps, much more dominating than Cavaliers. I mean my God, I mention in passing how they dominated the competition in finals and all he** breaks lose ?? and always by anti-Cavie fans. (by the way, as dominating as Garfield was all season, they didnt even remain solely on top come finals week, they were caught and tied.....not as diminat as 06 Cavaliers...but I digress)

Move on people, the text of my statement is this: To me, after wittnessing these shows many times since Atlanta, in my view PR and BD (my favorite corps and the one I want to win every year) didnt stand a chance against the outstanding designa nd performance of Cavaliers and "machine" They went to Madison, and dominated the competition all three nights, a hard fought battle and walked away with a championship. The competition was stiff and PR displayed emotion and finesse and power almost unlike anything they have done in a long time, and the Blue Devils gave us another typical run for the title, but in the end, it wasnt even close, TO ME !!!! get it? to ME .........as good as PR and BD were, Cavaliers blew them away in my mind and entertained me.

Now get over yourselves, learn a little humility and move on for cripes sake, whining about captions and what could have been and hypothetical this, and if only this and this judge that, and this judge this blah, blah blah....Its absolutely ridiculous and silly.

~G~

GB wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<Man, before you call Cavies .3 win and 3 loss season dominant, you need to take a look at stats.....the Blue Devils (and I am from the East, so don't call me bias....) had seasons where they not only won EVERY show, but nobody came within a point of them.....not once......The 1983 Cadets won DCI East by OVER 10 POINTS over the 2nd place corps, and 23-pointed a finalist!!! We have had champions who swept every caption....if it weren't for the 19.9's shelled out in visual (yes they deserved to win that caption, but.....) Cavaliers lose the show.... I would agree they have been dominant competitively since 2000 in terms of winning percentage and titles, but this was not a dominant season by any stretch in comparisons to corps who were far more dominating in championship seasons past.......GB

>>>>>>>>>

What are you people not getting that is causing you to ring the alarm here ?? Bringing things into this thread that do not have any bearing on my congratulations to the Cavaliers and their wonderful season.

What on Earth does the 83 Garfield Cadets have to do with 2006 Cavaliers ?? (By the way, I live for stats, was at that show and can you tell me who was second without cheating ?? )

I simply was defining that an 11 point win at a major regional can certainly be labeled as an example of what dominant is compared to what isn't....Yes, 83 Cadets did lose championship prelims, due to a questionable 7th place percussion number (won all other captions)...otherwise they are 42-0....yes, that is dominant......Spirit was 2nd at 83 East, but I did cheat, as Cadets DOMINATED, and I remember marveling at an 11 point spread....unheard of in a regional, and truly DOMINANT........in regards to your comparison of 06 Cavaliers, when did Cavs (or ANYONE) win a regional by that margin over major competitors?????

There have been plenty of corps and seasons that were dominant and full of dominating corps, much more dominating than Cavaliers. I mean my God, I mention in passing how they dominated the competition in finals and all he** breaks lose ?? and always by anti-Cavie fans. (by the way, as dominating as Garfield was all season, they didnt even remain solely on top come finals week, they were caught and tied.....not as diminat as 06 Cavaliers...but I digress)

I am not anti ANY corps....the Cavies are a MACHINE when it comes to visual and that is why they win, and I respect their visual design and excellence....it's the musical product that I question and the adjudication of such..........I actually thought they were better musically in some of the years that they didn't win, and have acknowledged that........I'm not alone in my opinion, and neither are you........

Move on people, the text of my statement is this: To me, after wittnessing these shows many times since Atlanta, in my view PR and BD (my favorite corps and the one I want to win every year) didnt stand a chance against the outstanding designa nd performance of Cavaliers and "machine" They went to Madison, and dominated the competition all three nights, a hard fought battle and walked away with a championship. The competition was stiff and PR displayed emotion and finesse and power almost unlike anything they have done in a long time, and the Blue Devils gave us another typical run for the title, but in the end, it wasnt even close, TO ME !!!! get it? to ME .........as good as PR and BD were, Cavaliers blew them away in my mind and entertained me.

Now get over yourselves, learn a little humility and move on for cripes sake, whining about captions and what could have been and hypothetical this, and if only this and this judge that, and this judge this blah, blah blah....Its absolutely ridiculous and silly.

Didn't stand a chance??? Three tenths....are YOU kidding me???

The Reason you continue to get replies is your use (or I should say misuse) of the word dominant....three tenths, and losing captions is not "dominating" under any definition of the word in this arena.....it's ok to praise the Cavs and show how much you liked their show, but you are stretching too far when you state that they dominated the competition after a three tenths win, and that is where many disagree with you...........last year, the Cadets broke 99 and won every caption at finals and "pulled away" during the week, but I wouldn't call their SEASON dominant, as they lost several shows majorly while struggling big-time early and had to make many changes and tweeks to become competitive...Cavs won the show this year, but did not dominate...it's that simple......

GB

~G~

Bob 984 wrote:

"Didn't stand a chance??? Three tenths....are YOU kidding me???

The Reason you continue to get replies is your use (or I should say misuse) of the word dominant....three tenths, and losing captions is not "dominating" under any definition of the word in this arena.....it's ok to praise the Cavs and show how much you liked their show, but you are stretching too far when you state that they dominated the competition after a three tenths win, and that is where many disagree with you...........last year, the Cadets broke 99 and won every caption at finals and "pulled away" during the week, but I wouldn't call their SEASON dominant, as they lost several shows majorly while struggling big-time early and had to make many changes and tweeks to become competitive...Cavs won the show this year, but did not dominate...it's that simple......

GB

~G~"

I'm sorry, but are you not quite reading everything that you're actually quoting? The keys words to the post you're replying to, I think, come here in GMichael1230's post:

"The competition was stiff and PR displayed emotion and finesse and power almost unlike anything they have done in a long time, and the Blue Devils gave us another typical run for the title, but in the end, it wasnt even close, TO ME !!!! get it? to ME .........as good as PR and BD were, Cavaliers blew them away in my mind and entertained me."

Please note the words "TO ME," "ME," "in my mind" and "entertained me."

The key pronouns there are 'me' and 'my.' An opnion is being stated. You are debating opinion, but minus the "in my opnion" type of thing.

GB wrote:Now get over yourselves, learn a little humility and move on for cripes sake, whining about captions and what could have been and hypothetical this, and if only this and this judge that, and this judge this blah, blah blah....Its absolutely ridiculous and silly.

~G~

You are wrong. Get over it. Learn a little blah, blah, blah...

Once one knows how judging/captions really work, one tends to care less about score

Cavies were the best package out there. Phantom, to me, the most expressive and emotional. Since i like to be moved, Phantom was my favorite hands down. I can't complain about the results as based on the current criteria, Cavies deserved to win. Still, the Machine was performed exactly like one, very unemotional.

As always...my 2 cents.