DCI Offers Survey On ESPN2 Broadcast...

I’ve hired guys who have Emmys for news or talk shows and you put them in a live, fast moving environment (like sports) and they don’t know squat. Have you ever heard the term “fish out of water”? These guys may be great in their own arena and the short pieces were very well done. On the other hand the performance segments were the worst ever. Terrible shots, terrible pacing and terrible audio equal a terrible production.

05c1f0cd00.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

05c1f0cd00.jpg

Funniest Post of the day, ty for the laugh... b**bs :wink:

I’ve hired guys who have Emmys for news or talk shows and you put them in a live, fast moving environment (like sports) and they don’t know squat. Have you ever heard the term “fish out of water”? These guys may be great in their own arena and the short pieces were very well done. On the other hand the performance segments were the worst ever. Terrible shots, terrible pacing and terrible audio equal a terrible production.

Tom Blair's Emmys are for Sports. Mike Mabbot also works alot of sports. Both are at the US Open now working for CBS.

Tom Blair's Emmys are for Sports. Mike Mabbot also works alot of sports. Both are at the US Open now working for CBS.

Then I can only assume they called this one in, because the performance segments were terrible.

Sigh. Do you try to miss the point? :P

Nope...it's different to be using the precious 2 hours of the show to provide young people with a history lesson they do not need...or want...versus a show dedicated to just that for those who LIKE historical stuff.

There was a bit of history on the show...enough of it too....IMO.

I think the whole thing is one big commercial, or more like a Drum Corps Informercial! I didn't watch it or tape it or TIVO it because I figured it would be just like last year's broadcast. DCI doesn't want to give us whole corps shows, not even one, or even a sense of what finals felt like - they want us to buy the DVD. In fact, I think DCI believes it can market Finals DVDs to people who are tuing into drum corps for the first time. Too bad - I miss PBS! Last year it felt like they were busy interviewing corps members and "selling" the idea of what it is like to be in a top 12 corps rather than showing us the result. I think the ESPN broadcast as it it produced today fails to stir up interest in the activity.

How many commercials do I remember?

Thanks to Tivo, none. :P

Probably not the answer DCI's looking for, but it's the truth.

lol!!! funny story: my father-in-law, who knows absolutely nothing about drum corps and had not been filled in beforehand about who we liked/didn't like, turned to me during the Cadets show and said "Are we still watching drum corps? Because this doesn't look anything like the ones that came on before them." And then he went to the bathroom, came back after the Cadets clip was finished and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the corps.

Funny, My roommates girlfriend who had never seen Drum corps before thought Cadets was the best because of the singing and the story...to each his own. My fav was BD's guard and Phantom overall.