DCI Offers Survey On ESPN2 Broadcast...

2) The message I got from the broadcast was "drum corps is hard." Yeah, OK, now once you get over your need to justify being on ESPN, let's think about a better message to send to viewers. How about "drum corps is unique" "drum corps is educational" "drum corps is fun" "drum corps is exciting" I think telling potential members "drum corps is hard" does not entice them to do it

4) They need to sell the fact that there are drum corps in your own backyard. Bring up map of US and Canada. "Here is the location of DCI Div I corps" overlays with "and here are the location of Division II/III corps" overlays with "and the location of DCA's senoir corps" For more information about joining a corps go to.....

5) Also, I got nooooooo sense of the following of the activity. We need some social proof here. Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide that follow this activity. Yes, there are scores of shows, some of which mights have been in your hometown. Let people know there is a fan experience beyond this ESPN show

My final comment is this. DCI needs to get past justifying itself. If people are staying on the channel, that means there is something they like, and you dont have to prove your worthiness. We dont need to keep saying "its hard" or "were athletic" or trying to sell it as a sport. Guess what? It's already on ESPN2. If you show people the shows, they can make the connection. Besides, we are wasting valuable message time (which should be "You can do it" or "You can see it live" or "You can learn more about it") on making a point that goes nowhere. It's athletic. So what? How does that make us any closer to achieving the long-term goals of the growth of this activity. Pick a productive message and make it stick!

Very much agreed!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thought from a random mind..... :lol:

Lot of talk on the telecast about "elite" and "best of the best". Wondering how many potential members hear the talk, watch the corps and think "No ####### way I could make a corps like that". Then they totally put marching DC out of their minds, no checking dci.org, etc, etc. Still think if Div II/III was introduced with "Think we're not ready yet for what you see tonight, there is still a way to march" it would help DCI and potential members.

Random thought from a random mind..... :lol:

Lot of talk on the telecast about "elite" and "best of the best". Wondering how many potential members hear the talk, watch the corps and think "No ####### way I could make a corps like that". Then they totally put marching DC out of their minds, no checking dci.org, etc, etc. Still think if Div II/III was introduced with "Think we're not ready yet for what you see tonight, there is still a way to march" it would help DCI and potential members.

I agree 100%. That is why i thought that mentioning the Academy, would have really been one of the best parts of the broadcast, because, here you have a corps, which is only in it's 3rd year of competition, first time at Finals, only been around since 2001, etc...and they win it all. To me, it shows that you can do this, anyone can, because look at what this corps accomplished, where they don't have the picks from the cream of the crop...(yet) I think Academy and also not to mention SCV and BD's feeder corps, to show how you can grow in this activity and eventually make it to the top, really was missed.

For a thought of my own:

I really think they could have focused less on members telling us how hard it is, and more on how members could join. With little actual information and actual members telling us how hard they worked, I can see the broadcast actually keeping people from marching, making them think "I could never do that". That was the same attitude I had for too long, and probably kept me from marching.

More information on the rest of the season, and how to be involved as a fan would be nice. Maybe next year DCP can purchase some ad time. ^0^

For a thought of my own:

I really think they could have focused less on members telling us how hard it is, and more on how members could join. With little actual information and actual members telling us how hard they worked, I can see the broadcast actually keeping people from marching, making them think "I could never do that". That was the same attitude I had for too long, and probably kept me from marching.

More information on the rest of the season, and how to be involved as a fan would be nice. Maybe next year DCP can purchase some ad time. ^0^

I think DCI did a good job of making sure their site was ready for viewers that wanted to learn more about what they saw on Tues night. The show can only do so much and only tell so much of the story. There is info about joining a jr. corps and how to get involved at all levels (div 1,2,3)

I tend to agree.

If DCI continues to disrespect us (alumni), then they might find out what happens when we stop shelling out the money to help support them. Granted, what the telecast is now, is a supposed great recruiting tool, but not showing a full performance is not a fair representation of drum corps as a whole (performance wise), and a slap in the face of alumni, IMO.

How is creating a targeted event like the ESPN show a slap at alumni?

I hope it happens. I love the Quarterfinal Telecast, but am reluctant to buy the DVD's. The last time I saw a fantastic top four, or five was 2004.

How about showing FINALS at the theatre, and charge around 20, or 25 dollars. It would be great. I know it's a Saturday, but you could get the people, and then the TV telecast could be for recruiting. Because it sure isn't for Alumni.

The theater agreeing would be an issue...weekends are their big nights.

And...I prefer to see 1/4 finals where I can watch as many corps as possible at their very best.

Perhaps a "Road to the Finals" bit, where you could show miniclips from major regionals, or at least the placements from those regionals.

...Perhaps... "On the Road Again"?

:)

I agree 100%. That is why i thought that mentioning the Academy, would have really been one of the best parts of the broadcast, because, here you have a corps, which is only in it's 3rd year of competition, first time at Finals, only been around since 2001, etc...and they win it all. To me, it shows that you can do this, anyone can, because look at what this corps accomplished, where they don't have the picks from the cream of the crop...(yet) I think Academy and also not to mention SCV and BD's feeder corps, to show how you can grow in this activity and eventually make it to the top, really was missed.

Yes, I agree. That would have made a great storyline. Can not believe they did not even put up the Div II / III scores. Let alone mention them as an entry point.

I do not watch anything but the groups. I have a TV in what we call "our computer room". So, I would turn and watch each group. I did not get to see all of them because of other things I had to do that night. I am not (as most of you know) a big DCI fan.

BUT

I see why the Cavaliers won. I did enjoy their show. They seemed to have that little something extra. To put them on top. The Phantom Regiment could have won also, in my Opinion. Both were terrific. SC Vanguard should have been over the Cadets (which I hated, yuucckk). Blue Devils, while they did an excelent job, seemed to have something missing. I missed the Bluecoats. Darn it. Wanted to see them. Same for Madison.

Over all,

ALL the Groups were Excelent, High Quality Entertainment. But God I hate the "Infomercial" style of the of the broadcast.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I can see the broadcast actually keeping people from marching, making them think "I could never do that". That was the same attitude I had for too long, and probably kept me from marching.

Kinda know the feeling, my MB didn't compete and wasn't too hard on teaching good marching techniques. If you were in step that's all that mattered. Only way I could break into corps was to join a Sr corps that had been inactive and was begging for new members. Was like doing Div II/III with adults.

How is creating a targeted event like the ESPN show a slap at alumni?

You're kidding right??

The theater agreeing would be an issue...weekends are their big nights.

Just charge more, and have it only at a couple of theatres. It can be done