DCI Offers Survey On ESPN2 Broadcast...

My final comment is this. DCI needs to get past justifying itself. If people are staying on the channel, that means there is something they like, and you dont have to prove your worthiness. We dont need to keep saying "its hard" or "were athletic" or trying to sell it as a sport. Guess what? It's already on ESPN2. If you show people the shows, they can make the connection. Besides, we are wasting valuable message time (which should be "You can do it" or "You can see it live" or "You can learn more about it") on making a point that goes nowhere. It's athletic. So what? How does that make us any closer to achieving the long-term goals of the growth of this activity. Pick a productive message and make it stick!

I nominate this for the unofficial best-post-in-thread award. Send this to DCI in its entirety, stxmoose32! Great suggestions top to bottom.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is creating a targeted event like the ESPN show a slap at alumni?

You're kidding right??

No, I'm not. As an alum myself going back to 64, I fail to see how the ESPN show is a slap at alums.

The theater agreeing would be an issue...weekends are their big nights.

Just charge more, and have it only at a couple of theatres. It can be done

Setting aside the unlikely event of a theater chain agreeing to something like this...

You want to make the event available to FEWER people and then charge them MORE to watch? If it is only in a 'few theaters' I can only IMAGINE the cost when you factor in the production expenses plus Regal's cut.

My turn for a "You're kidding right??" :)

No, I'm not. As an alum myself going back to 64, I fail to see how the ESPN show is a slap at alums.

My turn for a "You're kidding right??" :)

Well, mike, I am a corps alumni and I thought that the show was great! :)

I'm just glad to see that we are on mainstream TV. Though i am "in the know", I found the show to be informative and well done. :)

I guess that one just got shot down..Imagine people on DCP making outlandish generalizations that have no basis in truth..perish the thought! :sshh: <**> b**bs

Well, mike, I am a corps alumni and I thought that the show was great! :)

I'm just glad to see that we are on mainstream TV. Though i am "in the know", I found the show to be informative and well done. :)

I guess that one just got shot down..Imagine people on DCP making outlandish generalizations that have no basis in truth..perish the thought! :sshh: <**> b**bs

Well, it sounds like you guys are in the minority. Alumni want to see the performances. DCI wants to sell DVD's and recruit. Hopefully something will come out of this. For alumni, (not you two), it's becoming a joke.

And you don't think that people would see FINALS at a theatre? (Even on a Saturday.) Just select the same theatres as they would for Quarterfinals. And by charging more, it's not breaking the bank.

Watching what's on TV now, is a couple of hours some people can't get back.

Sorry, not into infomercials.

I'd love to see Finals on the big screen; thing is, Thursday night isn't a big night for most movie theaters...but weekends are.

I dunno that theaters are going to be eager to give up a screen on a Saturday for something that many not even promise them a full house.

Again, it all comes down to the almighty dollar.

Well, it sounds like you guys are in the minority. Alumni want to see the performances. DCI wants to sell DVD's and recruit. Hopefully something will come out of this. For alumni, (not you two), it's becoming a joke.

Where do you get the data to make a wide-ranging statement about 'alumni' in general?

Most of the commentary I have read here in DCP seems to be very positive about the show.

And you don't think that people would see FINALS at a theatre? (Even on a Saturday.) Just select the same theatres as they would for Quarterfinals. And by charging more, it's not breaking the bank.

I still don't think the "Just select the same theatres as they would for Quarterfinals" reflects reality from Regal's perspective. 1/4's are mid-week, at a down time for the theaters. Finals occur during their "prime time"...weekends.

I would still rather have the chance to see more than less corps, myself. But...that is just me.

Watching what's on TV now, is a couple of hours some people can't get back.

Sorry, not into infomercials.

Well, you don't HAVE to watch it, after all. If it is not your cup of tea, that's OK.

Mike

The fact of the matter is (and it's been said before) is that the whole point of the broadcast is to attract new fans and convert the on the bubble fans... If you want full finals performances, zero "fluff" vignettes, etc., buy the DVDs.

As for DCI justifying the activity being on ESPN2, I actually think that they do have to, at least for the first few seasons. Even though this very select group of people on this message board know how great and challenging this activity is, the mainstream viewer most likely has some preconceptions on our "marching band stuff," and the testimonials as to the athletic and mental challenges very well could resonate with sports fans in a way that could open their appreciation for what the performers are doing. Maybe once this thing gets some momentum and a repeat viewership, they can start phasing it out and start including more of the shows and less of the messaging... but I really think DCI has to warm up that crowd first.

Is it an infomercial? You bet, but I think it's a pretty effective one in terms of converting a group of people who are passionate about entertainment and competition who don't know a thing about our activity yet. Why wouldn't DCI want to attract as much of that crowd as possible? I can't think of a better model for doing that.

As for us hardcore fans, think of it as a nice way to tide ourselves over until November when we can get the DVDs. If you look at the big picture, I don't know understand how anyone can fault DCI for the path that they're taking on this.

lol!!! funny story: my father-in-law, who knows absolutely nothing about drum corps and had not been filled in beforehand about who we liked/didn't like, turned to me during the Cadets show and said "Are we still watching drum corps? Because this doesn't look anything like the ones that came on before them." And then he went to the bathroom, came back after the Cadets clip was finished and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the corps.

One of the people I was watching it with went outside to smoke a cigarette once their show came on.

On a positive note, I felt that the parts of their show that featured "old-school" marching and playing, gimmicks aside, were pretty #### sweet.

What's the joke? I don't get it? You old ######## want to see 1970's style mirrored drill and pistons and snares on slings. Even if DCI showed every second of finals, you'd be pissy about "alumni" mistreatings.

Well I'm an alum. As one alum to another, wake up. If you don't want things to change, go buy the legacy series, or pop in your 8-tracks. That era of DCI is frickin' over. It's not the frickin' 1970's any more. It's not even the 1980's anymore. Get over it. The drum corps stone age was good, even brilliant for its time, but that time is no more.

If you think the ESPN broadcast is for you, your britches are too big. High school kids join drum corps, not alumni. If you want to be productive, help today's corps get today's kids. If you want to revel in your own youth, fine. But don't complain about progress because it alters your childhood memories. It is not DCI's responsibility to be your ever-updated yearbook and trip down memory lane -- not in primetime. At the moment that drum corps is at its pinnacle of media exposure, you "alums" act like corps owes you something. Why don't you take a moment, remember back to why you loved it so dearly, and recall that it was about doing better as a team, advancing, and not getting caught up in petty, self-inflating look-at-me performances. It was about moving people, and having the entertaining opportunity of a lifetime, and being involved in a YOUTH activity.

Your #####ing and moaning about what "alums" want is tatamount to taking away the shining moment of the kids on the field today. Shame on you.