Casella and the tilt......

LSU GRAD 82

Yeah it kinda does - is HYPE tilting their snares?

:drool:

For the person who said Yamaha is messy, it took me about 5 minutes to tilt 4 drums.

Maybe your drums were outfitted with a different carrier. (Ours aren't even a year old yet)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim was never the snare tech for SCV. He has been the caption head or arranger for them.

exactly. in fact, he's a bass guy.

he marched bass at SCV in the early 90s

Edited by Gbassman5

It still cracks me up how many people out there (not talking about this thread, but in general) think that anything is done to make playing "Easier".

At the end of the day, its about the aesthetic appearance....

Actually, at the end of the day, it's about the music. Taking physics into mind, and under the right instruction, the 'tilt' has been known to yeild great accomplishments if the 'traditional' is your grip of choice. But, if how they look is more important to you than how they sound, then perhaps you are more the 'visual designer'-type, and not as much of a musician as you might have previously thought. If you would like to know more about my thoughts on the traditional grip, you can PM me.

And for those that think the 'tilt' could affect the 'consistency' of the line, I say:

Consistency will never exist. Always, you are either getting better, or getting worse...

-Austin Osterhout

Hey LSUGRAD,

I don't know if you have checked out the LSU Drumline this year but we are tilting our snares. It was a choice I made after marching this summer with The Cavaliers and just learning more about it and getting a feel for it. I think the general consensus of the line is they like it (except when the flip folders slide of the drum hehe) and the technique that I wanted the snare line to play with this season is more indicative to tilting the drums. Come by warm up sometime and check us out, I'm sure you will be pleasantly suprised at the sound coming from the line this year. Geaux Tigers!

Actually, at the end of the day, it's about the music. Taking physics into mind, and under the right instruction, the 'tilt' has been known to yeild great accomplishments if the 'traditional' is your grip of choice. But, if how they look is more important to you than how they sound, then perhaps you are more the 'visual designer'-type, and not as much of a musician as you might have previously thought. If you would like to know more about my thoughts on the traditional grip, you can PM me.

And for those that think the 'tilt' could affect the 'consistency' of the line, I say:

Consistency will never exist. Always, you are either getting better, or getting worse...

-Austin Osterhout

Hey Bro,

you selectively quoted me.

I said its about aesthetic appearance in terms of the visual look that the head person wants.

But i went on to say that you have to have solid fundamentals regardless of the angle of the approach. Some prefer the tilt, some prefer flat.

Having drummed on both, i prefer the tilt.

But if you know how to turn your wrist, you can still achieve the same level of sound from a flat drum. Ive heard all of the physics lessons on it and i agree. But at the end of the day for me, its about comfort.

A dirty line with flat snares will still be dirty when you tilt. Worry about technique first!

Yes in the early 70’s there were no snare harnesses. Just good old straps and drums with a slight tilt. My story if you care: By the time I marched Valley Fever 84; most corps had the really cool fiberglass harnesses. No more straps…..except for Valley Fever in 84! I was so looking forward to marching with a harnesses seeing that at East Union High in Manteca were I marched in the band snare line (3 of us), we marched with straps. You could understand my total disbelief when our instructor at VF, Dale Lofgren who marched with Vanguard snare line in 75 stated

” We are going back to straps it’s going to be really cool” Except I was so looking forward to finally marching with a harness. My right shoulder is still screwed up!! Dale was a traditionalist and that rubbed off on me. Anyway, I think that there is nothing more Beautiful or Perfect then a snare line playing traditional with a huge tilt! No cowbells please!

we went to tilt this year at UNC as well.

We were holding auditions and during a break I walked up to one of the snare drums and quickly 'tilted' it.

I sat down and asked Savage 'what do ya think' and he was of the midset that if you're going to tilt you'd better be pretty smoking to break out the 'mental image' of SCV. I kinda agree with this mindset.

We kept them the same during drum camp but then one day during a break at band camp Matt walks up to one of the snares and quickly 'tilted' one of them and told me to make it so for the rest of the line.

I'm more a visual guy these days so I like how it looks but even with that said, all my high schools play flat for now.

And like somebody else said, abs no problem with the May/Yamaha carrier/drum combo.

Edited by UNCGQ

• 3 weeks later...
Hey LSUGRAD,

I don't know if you have checked out the LSU Drumline this year but we are tilting our snares. It was a choice I made after marching this summer with The Cavaliers and just learning more about it and getting a feel for it. I think the general consensus of the line is they like it (except when the flip folders slide of the drum hehe) and the technique that I wanted the snare line to play with this season is more indicative to tilting the drums. Come by warm up sometime and check us out, I'm sure you will be pleasantly suprised at the sound coming from the line this year. Geaux Tigers!

Hey Jeremy, I talked with your mom several times earlier in the year. Just read this post. I'm glad now that I will not be able to go to the LSU alumni band reunion. ( I'm in Houston )If I would have seen the current LSU snareline with " The Tilt " I would have gone off on all yall. Phi Boota Roota's aren't t allowed to tilt their snares. And hey, where's the scoops?

( Sound Projectors ) Send me an e-mail through the site when you get a chance. Geaux Tigers.........

exactly. in fact, he's a bass guy.

he marched bass at SCV in the early 90s

Casella10-7-05_000.jpg

Yes, Giancarlos..you're correct............. B)

• 3 months later...
Guest watergoat

I maintain that the only advantage [such as it is] to carrier-tilted snares is that you can somewhat more easily do left stick/rim shots and, conversely, somewhat less easily with the right stick... but nothing else.

Having started on snare with slings and leg rests in 1965 [adding Ludwig’s “Angle Reduction Bar” in 1968] and eventually switching to carriers, to me the recent carrier-tilted head phenomenon is little more than a visual effect. Tilted snares look slightly different than non-tilted snares. That's all.

See, at the center of the head where we play 99% of the time, the effect of the carrier-tilted drum head's angle [10-15 degrees, I’ll guess] on the “vertical difference” where our stick tips contact the head, is essentially non-existent. And even when we play at or near the rim [far from or close to the waist, along the “diametric tilt line” of the head: this imaginary line more or less centered and coming from the waist] the head angle still doesn't change.

In this same discussion elsewhere, I read "Human anatomy and physiology demand it."

They do not. The difference between how a carrier-held drumhead [tilted or not] affects the positions of the arms and hands, is all but insignificant. Except that the left hand [and left forearm, pivotally from its elbow] is raised a scant few inches, and the right hand/forearm combo lowered by the same amount, otherwise there’s no appreciable difference in the physiological/anatomical movements, stresses, or any so-called "advantageous range of motion" between the tilted/non-tilted head and the hands/arms, to speak of.

Consequently, whatever benefit that carrier-tilted heads supposedly offer, completely escapes me.