Throwing Down

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not always good to praise a kid too highly. If it goes to their head, they can run into trouble down the road. I've seen it happen before and it isn't pretty. It can really mess up their mind. So I won't give the kid praise, but I WILL give him credit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not always good to praise a kid too highly. If it goes to their head, they can run into trouble down the road. I've seen it happen before and it isn't pretty. It can really mess up their mind. So I won't give the kid praise, but I WILL give him credit.

Yeah...god forgive we praise somebody anymore. <**>

Oh well, I guess some folks just don't believe in positive reinforcement. :sshh:

Man, some of you guys are overly critical. I can hear you dehypes now, "Yeah, his left hand on that diddle combo was really rugged"...get over it and lighten up! That is some serious playing for a 10 year old. Remember-he's 10, not 20. If any of you could play like him at that age break out your video when you were 10 so we can see it and compare (and I don't mean your beginning band video playing from your method book either). :music:

Edited by socalcontra

Man, some of you guys are overly critical. I can hear you dehypes now, "Yeah, his left hand on that diddle combo was really rugged"...get over it and lighten up! That is some serious playing for a 10 year old. Remember-he's 10, not 20. If any of you could play like him at that age break out your video when you were 10 so we can see it and compare (and I don't mean your beginning band video playing from your method book either). :lol:

We had a child prodigy in our corps one time (not marching) who WAS 10 years old. The kid was great (for his age). Then our perc instructor made a BIG mistake......he TOLD him that. By the time he was 16 he turned out to be just like his instructor.....a total jerk. None of the guys in the line would give him the time of day, and the instructor was forced out by popular demand. The kid eventually quit. THAT'S what can happen.

Dude! Whoa!

One thing about learning that young is that kids don't let their heads get in the way of their hands. They just do it. That and a whopping big dose of God given talent, and the instruction/encouragement/support to do it.

Well done!

kids play the darndest things.