Was a good and bad day

It absolutely breaks my heart to hear it when a school...because of budget especially... has to cut the music program. Cutting ANY program is bad, but losing a music program is especially bad to me, because I just don't know what my life would have been without music. My grade school started kids in the cadet band in third grade, and that's when I went in. I still have my quarter note/quarter rest music and Haskell Harr drum books from way back then.

It's painful to think of the number of kids who won't pick up a drum stick, play a flute or a trumpet or learn the joy of musicianship because the program isn't there.

:(

Music advocacy site

Anyone who even suggests cutting fine arts, especially music education, should be banned from education.

The really sad part is that instead of depending on such things as "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND", maybe they should look at the advantages of fine arts.

Music advocacy site

Anyone who even suggests cutting fine arts, especially music education, should be banned from education.

The really sad part is that instead of depending on such things as "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND", maybe they should look at the advantages of fine arts.

Another failed program in this current administration's arsenal of failed programs and policies. There is no time better than this November to "throw the bums out." "No Child" has benefitted no one. It has placed needless paperwork on teachers and adminsitrators and caused real educators to vacate the system.

An illustration of this...a eighth grade history teacher in a district I am quite familiar with was reprimanded for not changing his lesson plans to gear more toward the standardized testing. His lesson plans (as they had been for countless years) were to teach history backward. The first day of class, he assigns readings from yesterday's news and works backward, given these eighth graders the context and relationships that are a real part of history. He ends his US History classes with the founding of our country and how we settled here from England. Because of the testing in March, the ditrict was finding that many of his students couldn't adequately answer certain questions because they hadn't covered that material yet. It is really silly, because his students were engaged in learning and they all reported how this method and this teacher made history more alive for them.

I have also heard of many art, drama and music classes being slashed because of a school's underperformance on the standardized tests. Also, notice how in this story how the athletic progams still continue. So, where's the upside to No Child we were all promised? It sounds like children are being left behind all over the country.

Maybe this is where drum corps can fit in. As part of a music and drama afterschool program offered by churches, community centers, etc. Hey, a return to neighborhood drum and bugle corps again!

A sad day for music in Baton Rouge....

http://wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5380024&nav=menu57_2

A great day for music in New Orleans.....

WAFB in Baton Rouge reported that Opelika High School band in Alabama donated their used uniforms to McMains Magnet School in New Orleans.

As long as federal funding is based on Scholastic Statistical Aptitude of things like Math and Science, things like The Arts will always always always always always always always always always always always always always always take a back seat.

:(

This is of course just a pipe dream, but if I had MY way, only those schools, school systems, colleges, universities with a satisfactory rating in academics AND the arts....would be allowed to have an athletic program. Period. It's simply a matter of priorities. B)

This is of course just a pipe dream, but if I had MY way, only those schools, school systems, colleges, universities with a satisfactory rating in academics AND the arts....would be allowed to have an athletic program. Period. It's simply a matter of priorities. B)

:worthy::worthy: w/Stp:

Music advocacy site

And politics.

They just want kids who do well on tests, it seems. :(

Unfortunately, give them something where they aren't just doing the same thing over and over again, well, they fall.

They just want kids who do well on tests, it seems. :(

Unfortunately, give them something where they aren't just doing the same thing over and over again, well, they fall.

I think I heard somewhere that kids who play a musical instrument, especially a difficult one like a violin or viola or french horn, actually do better in other academics ...