Impact on DCI

Is this like the sillies topic ever posted?

Who thinks like this?

9/11 happened because two separate administrations failed to follow up on serious threats posed by al qaeda even after the WTC was bombed in 1993.

Stop thinking like a fatalist. Democracy is still live and well. Don't give into the scare tactics of the right-wing conservative media and this administration.

uh ya know there are natural disasters included in here. a hurricane started this thread

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expense depends on a number of actuarial factors, so not EVERY event policy is outrageously expensive (and the amount of the premium, of course, is dependent on the level of coverage). I've negotiated event coverage for festivals, and the expense was a minor consideration when placed against the projected losses if the event had fallen victim of bad luck (a leased venue burning down the night before a performance, for example).

Finals week is a significant portion of DCI's annual income. If they failed to have the week covered and something went wrong, it would take a looooong time to make up that lost income.

BTW, I've only known one event producer who ever had to file a claim on their policy (a major international ski event in Colorado that had to cancel the event due to lack of quality snow). The Board of the producing org. had to think a long time whether they could eat the loss and NOT file a claim, but in the end, decided to accept the increased premium expense the following year rather than writing off their whole investment in the event.

What do you think an all inclusive event coverage for DCI would cost?

Wow - and it's the biased, liberal media that keeps saying, "we aren't any safer now." Seems to me that they're the ones using scare tactics.

The "liberal media" is a myth. Right wingers own all the major media companies (those that aren't owned by foreigners. (think Rupert Murdock). The most common sense news reporting today occurs on the Daily Show.

And the fact is...we were never safe to begin with...I suggest you watch, oh, let's just say "Tora Tora Tora" for starters.

By the way...the "let's fight 'em over there so we don't have to fight 'em over here nonsense. The last time we were invaded by a foriegn army on US soil...reminding everyone that Hawaii was not a US state in 1941 was?

Come on US History fans? Could it be 1812?

We are no more or no less safe now than we have ever been. Heck, we've had basically open borders for over 60 years with both Mexico and Canada. By the way, the 9-11 hijckers came in from Canada, but no one's erecting a fence up there.

But in the words of the immortal FD Roosevelt, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Is this like the sillies topic ever posted?

Who thinks like this?

9/11 happened because two separate administrations failed to follow up on serious threats posed by al qaeda even after the WTC was bombed in 1993.

Stop thinking like a fatalist. Democracy is still live and well. Don't give into the scare tactics of the right-wing conservative media and this administration.

Nothing like throwing insults when you know nothing about the person. <**>

For the record I work for the US Navy as a civilian and part of my job is planning ahead. If I wait for the #### to hit the fan before I act, I ain't doing my job.

For the record I didn't cast any blame for 9/11 or talk about democracy dying. YOU DID!!! I only throw out 9/11 as a possible reason for cancellation.

Judging by weather reports in the early and middle parts of the week, DCA was very lucky that Ernesto fueled rains turned east over DCA weekend. Cancellation, or impact because of safety concerns both on the field and on the roads did look like a real thing early on.

So the question remains, if cancellation of Championships occurs for what ever reason what would be the impact. I'd be very surprised if the people in charge of DCI/DCA haven't discussed this in their meetings.

Or is planing ahead being too much of a "fatalist"? :music:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Mods - if this turns into a "Who's to blame for 9/11" thread instead of a discussion on the impact to Drm Corps Internation AS WAS ORIGINALLY STATED please close this thread.

What do you think an all inclusive event coverage for DCI would cost?

I'm wondering what would be the increase (percentage wise) the year after a claim would be filed.

Never thought about event insurance, thanks for the ideas on this.