Impact on DCI

Trust me Tom Brace, the highly touted "security" of bag checks doesn't apply to those of us that wear "Friends of DCI" tags around our necks. Want to talk about a hole in security? There it is right there. IF DCI was a target--which it very certainly CAN be, but probably would never be--it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that hole out.

I'm with Jim--I'm in public safety and have been for a long time. You never wait for the #### to hit the fan. You pre plan, pre plan, think of the worst case, then pre plan again. And then hopefully, you don't forget the pre plan when you have 14 gallons of adrenalin running through your body when the #### DOES hit the fan.

Scare tactics?? You're GOD ###### RIGHT!! We SHOULD be scared. If not scared, at least vigilant.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me Tom Brace, the highly touted "security" of bag checks doesn't apply to those of us that wear "Friends of DCI" tags around our necks. Want to talk about a hole in security? There it is right there. IF DCI was a target--which it very certainly CAN be, but probably would never be--it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that hole out.

I'm with Jim--I'm in public safety and have been for a long time. You never wait for the #### to hit the fan. You pre plan, pre plan, think of the worst case, then pre plan again. And then hopefully, you don't forget the pre plan when you have 14 gallons of adrenalin running through your body when the #### DOES hit the fan.

Scare tactics?? You're GOD ###### RIGHT!! We SHOULD be scared. If not scared, at least vigilant.

Yes, because having everyone scared to go outside their house isn't what the terrorists want :lol:

It is EXTREMELY doubtful that a terrorist would want to target a DCI show. They don't seem to go for attacks on low profile events, and even if they were, what makes a DCI show more appealing to attack than say a high school or college football game?

I would be surprised if any terrorists had even heard of drum corps.

Never even thought of security at shows when I started the thread but glad at least something is in place. Can't remember what was done at DCA when we went last year.

But yeah, wearing a magic tag that gives you a "bring your bag in for free" (rip off of Monopolys "Get Out Of Jail Free" card) is a security hole as they could be stolen or copied over the course of a few days. I have a Department of Defense badge with my ugly mug on it. Still means I have to haul my butt out of the car when I get stopped for a security spot check.

Edit: db03 posted while I was typing. Anywhere with a crapload of people is a potential target. And if there is little or no security, the target is more inviting. Of course the #1 problem is we never know until something either happens or gets stopped in time. Bottom line for me is I live my life but have a better than average idea of what to watch out for.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Please give me the episode of West Wing where they told the 9/11 story. I don't ever recall a WTC bombing ever portrayed on West Wing unless it was in this last season. I didn't get to see much of the last season. But, again I don't ever recall them re-enacting the 9/11 tragedy.

Isaac and Ishmael aired Oct. 3, 2001.

Edited by byline

I am pretty sure that DCI does not have "event cancellation insurance".

As to the original question, the cancellation of DCI World Championship week would have a huge impact on the organization. Looking at DCI as a non-profit with a series of fundraisers (everything from ticket sales to t-shirts to corporate sponsorships), by far their #1 fundraiser is Championship week. In a typical year, that one week-long event accounts for more than 20% of all revenue generated from all sources year round.

Good question OP.

I think if something catastrophic happened to the finals venue, let's say a week before finals, DCI might be able to hold the shows for judging only. They could hold the event at a high school stadium with staffs and judges, in order to crown a champion.

If there was a national emergency, the importance of finals pales in comparison. Maybe after the shock of some event was over, DCI could crown a champion based on the last regional. DCI may even consider letting age-outs march one more year.

I don't think something like a bad accident with a corps or a president dying would stop finals, but the proper dignity and perspective would have to be shown during the event.

As far as weather goes, the retractable roof is a hedge against a rain out. That is the one bright spot I see in having finals in one city for so long a period.

I do think DCI would financially survive having to cancel finals week. The drumcorps communtity is a tight group and would pump needed monies into the coffers to keep it alive. Hopefully we will never have to face the situation the OP suggests, but I am sure of one thing, once the finals date is past the season is over. There is just no way finals could be post poned to a future date.

I don't think anyone knows if DCI actually has event insurance.

I don't know myself, but has anyone asked someone from the office or even someone on the board?

Edited by Michael Boo

Isaac and Ishmael aired Oct. 3, 2001.

Sue: I thought you'd answer that. I'm a WW fan. The episode you mentioned used the climate to create a separate fictional terrorist attack but the focus of the show was a discussion between the WW cast and a group of high school students and a slam against a Middle Eastern worker by Leo McGary.

Again, it was not a interpretation of 9-11...like Flight 93, etc. It was a different type terrorist attack.

Now as far as the issue of Canadian entry...I did some research over the weekend and I apologize publicly in this forum to Canadians everywhere within reading of this post. It was not a Canadian point of entry as I wrote earlier. I'm sorry and I apologize to all Canadians because I wrote without fully researching. All 19 terrorists received visas from other countries and passed through American customs and security several times without detection from various points of entry.

Again, sorry.

Good question OP.

I think if something catastrophic happened to the finals venue, let's say a week before finals, DCI might be able to hold the shows for judging only. They could hold the event at a high school stadium with staffs and judges, in order to crown a champion.

You mean with no audience? What would be the point? I can't imagine the performers would enjoy that at all. Performing live in front of an audience is kind of the whole point. It would probably be better just to cancel if that was the only alternative option, IMO.