Impact on DCI

By the way, the 9-11 hijckers came in from Canada, but no one's erecting a fence up there.

Um, no they didn't. Just because they made that claim on a "West Wing" episode doesn't make it true (especially since there's no such thing as an "Ontario-Vermont border"). <**>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not complaining about coming up with a plasible scenerio, but so far appears no one has an idea how the $$$$ hit would affect DCI.

If you've read the 'event cancellation insurance" related posts, the answer to your question is there.

That answer being "it wouldn't hit them except when it came time to purchase the next year's premiums", by which time they could build the increased expense into the ticket prices. Granted, not as sexy as looking for a doomsday spectacular situation in which DCI ceases to exist because of a lightning storm or a national emergency, but reality does have a tendency toward the prosaic. B)

If you've read the 'event cancellation insurance" related posts, the answer to your question is there.

No offense but if anyone has posted that DCI actually has cancellation insurance I missed it. If DCI does have it, that would answer the question.

And byline, sure there's a Vt/Ont border. But it's patrolled by Lake Champlains version of the Loch Ness Monster. (Champ?).. :P

Oh yeah in case anyone thinks I'm picking on DCI or I hope that DCI goes *POOF*, I posted the same question on the All Age/Alumni board.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Um, no they didn't. Just because they made that claim on a "West Wing" episode doesn't make it true (especially since there's no such thing as an "Ontario-Vermont border"). <**>

Please give me the episode of West Wing where they told the 9/11 story. I don't ever recall a WTC bombing ever portrayed on West Wing unless it was in this last season. I didn't get to see much of the last season. But, again I don't ever recall them re-enacting the 9/11 tragedy.

You might be confusing WW with the stupid ABC crapudrama they put out last night. Talk about fiction. It is, in short, an abomination to the victims' families and the country. I would request that people do not watch it.

Now getting back on topic...I am guessing earthquake would be the biggest threat to a DCI championship. Typically, tornadoes are earlier in the season... April, May, June. Severe thunderstorms and flooding might be the next threat. I don't believe there is much threat of fire based on the Lucas Oil plans I've seen online. DCA has much more concern given location, with event cancellation than does DCI.

As far as terror threats, DCI employed, and has for many years, the same entry bag checks and screening procedures employed at major outdoor events. They hire a security company to perform these duties. I'm sure they also monitor entrances, etc. It's about all you can do at a large outdoor event for security protection.

No offense but if anyone has posted that DCI actually has cancellation insurance I missed it. If DCI does have it, that would answer the question.

And byline, sure there's a Vt/Ont border. But it's patrolled by Lake Champlains version of the Loch Ness Monster. (Champ?).. :P

Oh yeah in case anyone thinks I'm picking on DCI or I hope that DCI goes *POOF*, I posted the same question on the All Age/Alumni board.

I don't think anyone knows if DCI actually has event insurance.

I don't think anyone knows if DCI actually has event insurance.

Yeah, I doubt it too. But at least I learned a lot about this kind of insurance.

Off the top of my head, DCA and DCA have had a total of 75+ shows (all outside) with only four times where the weather was a major concern. DCA at Hershey had Prelims postponed a day and standstill Finals at Allentown in the 80s. Then of course Ernesto this year. Only DCI probrlem I remember was rain at Miami but I don't follow DCI as closely.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

By the way, the 9-11 hijckers came in from Canada, but no one's erecting a fence up there.

Single most ignorant post on DCP. Ever.

Even if they did come in from Canada that means they passed through U.S. CUSTOMS.

I'm sure if DCI had to cancel the entire finals week, they could make up the lost revenue by charging people to view their photos in the DCP thread relating to "historic photos." :P

As far as terror threats, DCI employed, and has for many years, the same entry bag checks and screening procedures employed at major outdoor events. They hire a security company to perform these duties. I'm sure they also monitor entrances, etc. It's about all you can do at a large outdoor event for security protection.

Then how did I get inside in Indy, wearing my backpack, without it being searched? Or is that just regionals and finals?