1979 North Star - Awesome!

Yes, it is definitely 1981. I had the privilege of marching North Star in 81 and 82. We wore these uniforms both years. However, in 82 we added silver sequins over the black stripe on the cross sash and cummberbund to give it more of a North Star look. I'm not sure the audience really enjoyed the new unis in 81. A bit too serious for North Star and certainly not as flashy as the prior years.

By the way, not to make this about 27th...but, although I marched in North Star I had nothing but respect for them. We generally followed the same tour schedule so I had many opportunities to watch them perform and enjoyed them every time. How can you really compare North Star and 27th? Both had very different styles and both were crowd pleasers. All in all, great kids in both corps that worked #### hard to put out great shows... and that was long before the days of rehearsing every day starting in Memorial Day.

My two cents.

Hear hear!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I only got to see that NS 81 show once, at Whitewater. I still thought they should have made finals that night. Man, Frannie Coughlin was an awesome timpani god.

We weren't mad enough. When the corps performed ticked off, we did well. When we didn't have that edge, we were off.

Yes, it is definitely 1981. I had the privilege of marching North Star in 81 and 82. We wore these uniforms both years. However, in 82 we added silver sequins over the black stripe on the cross sash and cummberbund to give it more of a North Star look. I'm not sure the audience really enjoyed the new unis in 81. A bit too serious for North Star and certainly not as flashy as the prior years.

By the way, not to make this about 27th...but, although I marched in North Star I had nothing but respect for them. We generally followed the same tour schedule so I had many opportunities to watch them perform and enjoyed them every time. How can you really compare North Star and 27th? Both had very different styles and both were crowd pleasers. All in all, great kids in both corps that worked #### hard to put out great shows... and that was long before the days of rehearsing every day starting in Memorial Day.

My two cents.

Hi! I aged out with North Star in 1981, so I should know you. In case you don't remember, I'm the contra who flew in from California.