1979 North Star - Awesome!

:lol: I just got done listening to North Star's 1979 show. Man, what an entertaining rep thay had that year! A little Chuck, a little Maynard, topped off with the Beach Boys. And what a smokin' drumline thay had! Imagine if one of today's corps decided to break with the current trend of artsy-fartsy and actually blew us out of the stands with music like that. :lol::lol:

OK - I'll wake up now..............

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhhhhhhh the Chrome Wall

You got it! I believe they tied SCV for high drums that year. I could be wrong though..... Anyone?

Imagine if one of today's corps decided to break with the current trend of artsy-fartsy and actually blew us out of the stands with music like that.

In '79, no doubt there was some 50 or 60 year old sitting in the stands that year wishing that corps still played shows like '52 Blessed Sac. :lol:

Having marched in that era, I'm glad that the kids aren't just doing updated versions of what we did in the 70s. I'd rather see something that's looking forward (just as the corps in the late 70s were looking forward - notice that North Star IS using keyboards, which were then on the cutting edge of percussion scoring). Retro shows are fun, but (imho) that's what alumni corps are for.

Edited by mobrien

:lol: I just got done listening to North Star's 1979 show. Man, what an entertaining rep thay had that year! A little Chuck, a little Maynard, topped off with the Beach Boys. And what a smokin' drumline thay had! Imagine if one of today's corps decided to break with the current trend of artsy-fartsy and actually blew us out of the stands with music like that. :lol::lol:

OK - I'll wake up now..............

79 North Star for 07 Classic Countdown

In '79, no doubt there was some 50 or 60 year old sitting in the stands that year wishing that corps still played shows like '52 Blessed Sac. :lol:

Having marched in that era, I'm glad that the kids aren't just doing updated versions of what we did in the 70s. I'd rather see something that's looking forward (just as the corps in the late 70s were looking forward - notice that North Star IS using keyboards, which were then on the cutting edge of percussion scoring). Retro shows are fun, but (imho) that's what alumni corps are for.

My point, although I really didn't state it before is that I'd like to see a happy medium between today's drill design, pit, and talent combined with music that actually entertains.

My point, although I really didn't state it before is that I'd like to see a happy medium between today's drill design, pit, and talent combined with music that actually entertains.

That is what you have today...incredible talent performing entertaining shows.

One person's entertainment is another person's trite and lame. I couldn't stand that 79 NS show, and not just because they beat us every night. The drum line played great, of course, but I was never a beach boys fan and the whole pie in the face thing was dumb, and was that the year they used the BIG LIPS? Puleez. I'm not drinking the koolaid on today's corps either, but that's not a show I want to see again.

One person's entertainment is another person's trite and lame. I couldn't stand that 79 NS show, and not just because they beat us every night. The drum line played great, of course, but I was never a beach boys fan and the whole pie in the face thing was dumb, and was that the year they used the BIG LIPS? Puleez. I'm not drinking the koolaid on today's corps either, but that's not a show I want to see again.

Well there's always someone here to pee in the cheerios! <**>