1979 North Star - Awesome!

All I have to say is.. to YOU and anyone else?

This thread is about North Star.

And now.. "I" will LECTURE..

My lecture is this..

My opinion is that North Star should be given it's due.

And those that need to shore up themselves?

Isn't right.

Sharon

PS: Lancerfi?

PPS? You - as well?

Well . . . it's interesting that you'd presume anybody was lecturing, or that you needed that as an excuse to lecture, yourself. After all, I'm trying to see where anybody in this thread is not giving North Star their due. Sorry, just not finding it.

But do carry on.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not quite sure where Sharon is coming from. LancerFi has as much history with many of the kids from North Star as anyone.

What is amazing - is that North Star was perhaps the greatest merger of corps that truly succeeded. How many people know that the Reveries from Revere merged with the Danvers Blue Angels in 1975 - and renamed themselves the Blueveries? Tommy Upton, former Reverie snare marched with them prior to joining 27th for the 1976 season.

The fact that the Blueveries again merged with remnants of the Beverly Cardinals, to become North Star in 1976 is of greater importance.

Corps in greater Boston all exhibited an enormous sense of pride. The base for membership in Boston Crusaders, North Star, and the 27th Lancers was dependent upon the survival of many, many Class A drum corps - and CYO bands - that were scattered throughout Massachusetts. Other corps like the Rockland Defenders were able to grab those kids from the south shore that might not be able to get to the inner city or the north shore. As those four corps continued to compete in the DCI arena, and as local corps were starting to diminish, we all become dependent upon "outsiders" - from out of state - to survive.

In many cases - it was true friendships that brought members to one corps or another. For kids that left smaller corps and wanted to "move to the big time" - it was an "allure" to go to one corps or another. For me - although the Boston Crusaders practiced 5 minutes from my parents home, but it was the 27th Lancers that took my breathe away in 1969. The rest, is history.

I am personal friends with Jim O'Brien - a class act for all time. He ran North Star like the business that it was - and he would not, could not, afford to run the corps without having the necessary funds. I am also very close to Rick Connor and taught with him for many years. Rick and 27th's Jim Wedge were former competitors and I would be the "messenger" going from one rehersal with Rick, to a rehearsal with Wedge - and the two would share old war stories with me.

Yes - North Star absolutely earned the respect of drum corps fans near and far. If you were not there to see North Star win the 1979 CYO Nationals - you missed one of the most emotional and GE packed performances of all time.

So Sharon - please - lighten up. You and me - neither of us has our former corps around any longer, but it was great while it lasted. And as LancerFi said - it was a great honor for me as well, to march with so many great North Star, BAC, Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, Amvet Brigaders, and so many others in 1994.

So Sharon - please - lighten up. You and me - neither of us has our former corps around any longer, but it was great while it lasted. And as LancerFi said - it was a great honor for me as well, to march with so many great North Star, BAC, Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, Amvet Brigaders, and so many others in 1994.

Great post! ^OO^

If you were not there to see North Star win the 1979 CYO Nationals - you missed one of the most emotional and GE packed performances of all time.

THAT was an incredible show. We could not believe the outcome. My friends and I being in

"B" Class corps that year were in awe of 27th, Bridgemen, Madison, and couldn't believe

when they were announcing the scores that it could be possible for North Star to beat those three corps.

We were hysterical. Everyone was. The stands sounded like they were going to come down.

It was definitely one of the most memorable shows I ever attended, and I cherish the recording I have of that night,

including the scores announcement.

1979CYONatsStub.jpg

79 North Star for 07 Classic Countdown

I'll second and third that!

THAT was an incredible show. We could not believe the outcome. My friends and I being in

"B" Class corps that year were in awe of 27th, Bridgemen, Madison, and couldn't believe

when they were announcing the scores that it could be possible for North Star to beat those three corps.

Yet, a week later in Birmingham 27th finished 5th, Bridgemen 6th, and Madison 8th while North Star wound up in 9th. I miss that kind of competitiveness where, from one night to the next, the results could change drastically. It made shows so much more exciting.

I am not quite sure where Sharon is coming from. LancerFi has as much history with many of the kids from North Star as anyone.

What is amazing - is that North Star was perhaps the greatest merger of corps that truly succeeded. How many people know that the Reveries from Revere merged with the Danvers Blue Angels in 1975 - and renamed themselves the Blueveries? Tommy Upton, former Reverie snare marched with them prior to joining 27th for the 1976 season.

The fact that the Blueveries again merged with remnants of the Beverly Cardinals, to become North Star in 1976 is of greater importance.

Corps in greater Boston all exhibited an enormous sense of pride. The base for membership in Boston Crusaders, North Star, and the 27th Lancers was dependent upon the survival of many, many Class A drum corps - and CYO bands - that were scattered throughout Massachusetts. Other corps like the Rockland Defenders were able to grab those kids from the south shore that might not be able to get to the inner city or the north shore. As those four corps continued to compete in the DCI arena, and as local corps were starting to diminish, we all become dependent upon "outsiders" - from out of state - to survive.

In many cases - it was true friendships that brought members to one corps or another. For kids that left smaller corps and wanted to "move to the big time" - it was an "allure" to go to one corps or another. For me - although the Boston Crusaders practiced 5 minutes from my parents home, but it was the 27th Lancers that took my breathe away in 1969. The rest, is history.

I am personal friends with Jim O'Brien - a class act for all time. He ran North Star like the business that it was - and he would not, could not, afford to run the corps without having the necessary funds. I am also very close to Rick Connor and taught with him for many years. Rick and 27th's Jim Wedge were former competitors and I would be the "messenger" going from one rehersal with Rick, to a rehearsal with Wedge - and the two would share old war stories with me.

Yes - North Star absolutely earned the respect of drum corps fans near and far. If you were not there to see North Star win the 1979 CYO Nationals - you missed one of the most emotional and GE packed performances of all time.

No problem.

I look forward to meeting anyone here that will be at the North Star Reunion on October 21st.

Sharon

Sharon

• 4 weeks later...

79 was a special year for me, Ageing out as a Crusader. The 79 show was very special, different from any other year for Boston but still the same. small corps, quality not quantity. 25 man kick ### hornline that held its own against 50 man hornlines all year. We made all the DCI finals shows but the nats. CYO Beat Madison in execution m+m. Finishing near the top in brass execution and ge in lots of shows.I startedin drumcorp age in 67 with the Norwood continentals, from there 21st lancers started. The petersons were the manages marched with Gary for a number of years. 21st lasted till the end of 77 for financial reasons, disbanded. Myself and 2 others went to Boston, most went to spectra.

79 was filled with many great shows from the east. Was a great year. Highlite memories, lining up ont the 45 at CYO Nats. turning to the crowd waving and shouting Hi Mom as we moved to the 50. Finishing 7th to a standing ovation. Conquest for the finale and seeing all just explode in the stands.

DCI Whitewater. Finishing 11th in the finals coming into retreat, between phantom and madison, getting a stand o from both corps. Seeing SCV with our tshirts on and best of all getting rid of the old stories from the past and show the people how we really were, all about presenting the show to the fans, not the judges. and believin g in yourself that you were the best out there no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my Gawd -- I haven't been on in a while.

*That's a typical reply. We're used to it.*

I think that what's "typical" about this thread is that, like most threads on this site, it starts out as one thing and then ends up being about the 27th Lancers. I've never seen such consistently myopic allegiance from any other corps alumni. It really is kind of irritating.