1979 North Star - Awesome!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to make things a little easier--I've changed this recap so its not 5 miles long across the page. This version is only 2.5 miles across the page. All the recaps on the site will be going thru this adjustment. I just happened to see this one now and had to change it immediately.

1979 Finals Recap

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Jerry Noonan.....my hero.

:laugh::laugh::music:

and my Brass instructor 1978 and 1979!

You got it Dave! I was right with you! Soloist Jerry Noonan and writer Danny Lutz were my first drum corps brass instructors. Not bad, eh? B)

Cool! Thanks for the link to that recap! I guess I should have rephrased - they DID tie SCV in percussion execution. SCV edged them out overall. Still, pretty impressive especially considering they were 9th place...

They were shooting for 5th. They were in contention for it too, seeing as they beat Madison and 27th Lancers at the CYO Nationals.

They were shooting for 5th. They were in contention for it too, seeing as they beat Madison and 27th Lancers at the CYO Nationals.

IMHO.. (and I'm biased)

North Star was a quality drum corps. It played well with it's time.. It tried to be competitive.. and was innovative while still keeping within the rules.

BTW? For the most part? The corps were local. Meaning - one didn't have to drive hours or fly in a plane to get to practice. There's something to be said about a 9th place corps that had ALL of that.

And it's no wonder the corps isn't around anymore.

The biased part? I'll be attending the corps reunion in October. We've had one every 5 years since the corps departed after the 1982 season. I've attended every single one.

It's our 30th reunion.

IMHO.. Amazing group of people.

Sharon (Cashin) Castigliego

North Star

1978 - 1980

You got it Dave! I was right with you! Soloist Jerry Noonan and writer Danny Lutz were my first drum corps brass instructors. Not bad, eh? B)

Man...is that you in your avatar? you don't look anything like you used to...(hehehe)

1983-DavidBassan.jpg

Consider this regarding the things North Star had working against them:

1. They practiced within a 10 mile or so radius of 27th Lancers

2. Their drum major left to march in 27th

3. They had a very good color guard despite the fact that 27th had won top guard for the last few years.

4. None of the corps that merged to form North Star had ever made DCI finals (although the St. Mary's/Beverly Cardinals had some kick-### years)

5. They had few (or no) out of state members.

The fact that two finalist corps could exist so close to each other is amazing. Remember that at the time the Boston Crusaders & Rockland Defenders were also top 25 DCI corps, and they were also within a 25 mile or so radius. (I think Alliance came a little later).

This is a testimony to the talent of both marching members and instructors in the Greater Boston area at the time. The winter guards of the area were WELL represented at WGI in the mid to late seventies - Quasar, St. Patrick's, St. Anthony's Everett, Blessed Sac, and many more. If either North Star or 27th never existed, the one remaining corps could very well have recruited enough talent to win a DCI title before 1980.

Man...is that you in your avatar? you don't look anything like you used to...(hehehe)

1983-DavidBassan.jpg

Actually, that is the actor playing the role of Eraser Head, a nickname I was dubbed when I first went to the Scouts. I had long bushy hair.

Actually, that is the actor playing the role of Eraser Head, a nickname I was dubbed when I first went to the Scouts. I had long bushy hair.

I know... it was just an excuse to post this screen shot i have of you.