1979 North Star - Awesome!

Consider this regarding the things North Star had working against them:

1. They practiced within a 10 mile or so radius of 27th Lancers

2. Their drum major left to march in 27th

3. They had a very good color guard despite the fact that 27th had won top guard for the last few years.

4. None of the corps that merged to form North Star had ever made DCI finals (although the St. Mary's/Beverly Cardinals had some kick-### years)

5. They had few (or no) out of state members.

The fact that two finalist corps could exist so close to each other is amazing. Remember that at the time the Boston Crusaders & Rockland Defenders were also top 25 DCI corps, and they were also within a 25 mile or so radius. (I think Alliance came a little later).

This is a testimony to the talent of both marching members and instructors in the Greater Boston area at the time. The winter guards of the area were WELL represented at WGI in the mid to late seventies - Quasar, St. Patrick's, St. Anthony's Everett, Blessed Sac, and many more. If either North Star or 27th never existed, the one remaining corps could very well have recruited enough talent to win a DCI title before 1980.

J, I've been saying it for the past 30 years, had it been up to many of the kids that did not go to 2-7 for whatever reasons they had, I have no doubt we would be the BD of the East.

Adults can be very hateful for no apparent reason. Still in 1994, some marched in 94 and their parents wouldn't speak to them, how's that? :sshh:

What would have happened to BD, well, no one will ever know!!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the argument that if only there had been this one main corps, not another competing corps in the area, how much better the main corps would have been by drawing from that same talent pool. Lord knows, I heard it enough times with Oakland and Seneca. But the flip side of that argument is to think of all the memories we would have lost without those corps. Each corps had its own unique identity, so in the end I think it's better for the activity, as a whole, that they existed and gave us those memories . . . even if sometimes it appears to have happened at the expense of other corps, and ultimately maybe even at their own expense. There are some things that you can't measure strictly in dollars and cents.

J, I've been saying it for the past 30 years, had it been up to many of the kids that did not go to 2-7 for whatever reasons they had, I have no doubt we would be the BD of the East.

Adults can be very hateful for no apparent reason. Still in 1994, some marched in 94 and their parents wouldn't speak to them, how's that? :sshh:

When I put together the corps yearbook in 1994, George and Terry K. gave me free rein to include whatever I wanted (yikes!) I had considered a spread of photos showing 94 members "then and now" - in the uniform of the original corps they marched in, and next to it a photo of them in their Lancer uniforms. Then I realized that the 94 corps was a perfect "melting pot" of Greater Boston drum corps, and my idea would serve no purpose. I mean, potentially, we could have had a lot of conflicts among the membership that year (27 vs. North Star, 27 vs. BAC, old 27 vs. newer 27, etc. etc.). Instead, the past was never an issue. Everybody played well together, and rather than just being a 27 reunion, it was a total blast to meet a huge spectrum (pun intended) of people who had marched through the years no matter what corps they came from. (And wasn't it amazing how much talent came from corps that we never considered "rivals?) I'm talking about the Jeannettes, Socialites, Surfers, etc.

As to the "BD of the East" - I agree. Sure, Canada might have done it, and definitely New Jersey (Bridgemen and Muchachos - HOLY CRIPE!!!). My point about the 27/North Star merger was that they were not two totally different corps in the sense that I had lots of friends from the Reveries that made a different decision than I did and it was almost like a "Civil War" brother against brother type of thing. (And please, I know that the Civil War was a horrible tragedy and 100's of thousand Americans died fighting each other, and this is only drum corps, but it's an analogy about how a family splits in two - amicably in this case - and become rivals).

Ramblin' on again,

Jimmy :worthy:

I'm sorry.. What does your #####ING have to do with North Star?

Sharon

Sharon

Ahhh, the classy, charismatic Sharon has done it again ! Thankfully, nothing about LancerFi has anything to do with North Star. She has a lot to do however with the 27th Lancers, Drum corps legacy, New England drum corps legacy, and precedent in colorguard and leadership.....care to elaborate on any of those qualities you might fit in ??

~G~

Sharon

Well, for cryin' out loud, who woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning? <**>

Ahhh, the classy, charismatic Sharon has done it again ! Thankfully, nothing about LancerFi has anything to do with North Star. She has a lot to do however with the 27th Lancers, Drum corps legacy, New England drum corps legacy, and precedent in colorguard and leadership.....care to elaborate on any of those qualities you might fit in ??

~G~

Hi Geoff..

I will. Because I follow through on my promises. I follow through on what I write.. And I mean it. Unlike YOU.

I believe that Lancerfi's intention was to (even in responding to someone else) dismiss North Star's quality as a drum and bugle corps.

She wrote that if ALL of the corps that were competing when her corps was.. had combined to become a superpower like BD.. 27th would have been a superpower. I've said before.. and I'll say it again. Not EVERYONE on the east coast was interested in being a 27th Lancer.

Me in particular.. And I've said why.. many times.

Geoffrey.. this thread is about North Star. I marched in North Star. I WILL protect it's name. Lancerfi described why the 27th Lancers didn't get their due. On THIS thread. And told another poster WHY she thought that HER corps didn't win.

You want to reprimand someone for their comments? And it's ME?

WOW!

DCP at it's best.. Geoffrey.. no WONDER you weren't made for RAMD. And left in a huff.. and now think you can hassle me. Here.

You've totally got to be kidding with legacy, New England and leadership.

Talk about jumping on a band wagon! LOL!

As far as colorguard? North Star competed.

Sharon

Everyone shut up.

Talk about the corps.

Not your spectacularly thankless role within the corps.

27 rocked.

North Star rocked.

Thanks for playing. Here's a copy of the home game.

Everyone shut up.

too funny... said the Defender.

Edited by audiodave