1979 North Star - Awesome!

You got it! I believe they tied SCV for high drums that year. I could be wrong though..... Anyone?

I think you could be right. As I recall they laid it down whereas SCV were about control and finesse. An awesome year all round. :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they were too close to us scoring wise for me to be unbiased at the time. I really liked the drumline, although they seemed overall a little to "gimmicky" for my taste (in fact, the whole corps did). At the time, I also had issues with the Bridgemen. In hindsight, I apreciate both group alot more now.

Well there's always someone here to pee in the cheerios! <**>

I thought we were done talking about Capital Regment's food problems this season.... :P

Jerry Noonan.....my hero.

:wub::wub::tic:

and my Brass instructor 1978 and 1979!

Edited by audiodave

Those little, fun gimmicky things were the Eastern way.

My buddies sister marched in the guard and hated the lips but they did fit with the concept.

As for Sir Duke, one of my favorite Rick Connors charts and very much in keeping with the North Star style.

It took guts to put that on the field.

"Sir Duke" and the lips were used in 1978.

1979-Beach Boys, etc., and a clean, throw-down drumline that did tie SCV in execution. Fantastic. And the Dave Vose book? Split everything.

Sorry, I mushed 78 and 79 together in my mushball head. Got out the DVD cuz it's been a while. Still not what I'd think of as a model show for the future, but again, that snare line... sheesh... and you can drive a truck between the notes of the quint solo too.

I'm going to have to order some DVDs from that era myself. I have been listening to mp3s of North Star, Crossmen, Madison and BD the last week or so and boy has it brought back memories! I was introduced to Drum Corps in 78 so to me these were the most exciting years.

You got it! I believe they tied SCV for high drums that year. I could be wrong though..... Anyone?

No, but they were close. At the 1979 DCI finals, SCV placed first with a total score of 18.70, North Star second with 18.50. Here's the recap.

No, but they were close. At the 1979 DCI finals, SCV placed first with a total score of 18.70, North Star second with 18.50. Here's the recap.

Cool! Thanks for the link to that recap! I guess I should have rephrased - they DID tie SCV in percussion execution. SCV edged them out overall. Still, pretty impressive especially considering they were 9th place...