DB Meter readings for finals

torn8o

1) dB is a log measurement. Increasing a dB value by 10 doubles the level. So for example 50 dB is twice as loud as 40 dB and 85 dB is twice as loud as 75 dB.

2) A change of 2-3 dB is considered insignificant and a typical person can not distinguish between two sound sources that close together. For example, if two sound sources were 78 and 75 dB, it is unlikely that the typical person could tell which one was louder.

3) I saw several posts which mentioned that 3 dB was "doubling" or "twice" the sound. I think what they meant (whether they knew it or not) is that if you have two IDENTICAL sound sources, the resulting perceived overall sound level is only 3 dB higher than one of the sources by itself. So if you had one source that was 75 db and another identical sound source at 75 dB, you would perceive a sound level of 78 dB, or as noted above, barely any different from the single source by itself.

I think that might be incorrect:

From Wikipedia:

An increase of 3 dB corresponds to an approximate doubling of power. (In exact terms, the factor is 103/10, or 1.9953, about 0.24% different from exactly 2.) Since in many electrical applications power is proportional to the square of voltage, an increase of 3 dB implies an increase in voltage by a factor of approximately ?2, or about 1.41. Similarly, an increase of 6 dB corresponds to approximately four times the power and twice the voltage, and so on. (In exact terms the power factor is 106/10, or about 3.9811, a relative error of about 0.5%.) See the formulas below for further details.

More info:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html

The measurment of SPLs (sound pressure levels) indicates that 3db is an approximate doubling of volume. This is NOT analagous to decibels in electrical power since psychoacoustics comes into play as well, and can be affected by atmosphereic conditions at the listening point.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot - we dropped the ball...I don't know that anyone in Kingsmen Alumni Corps thought about measuring our wall of sound...

I think that might be incorrect:

From Wikipedia:

More info:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html

The measurment of SPLs (sound pressure levels) indicates that 3db is an approximate doubling of volume. This is NOT analagous to decibels in electrical power since psychoacoustics comes into play as well, and can be affected by atmosphereic conditions at the listening point.

I may not have stated it clearly enough which lead to some confusion. Scenarios #1 and #2 are discussing a SINGLE sound source. Point #3 is discussing TWO identical sound sources. So in #1 I was refering to a single sound source becoming twice as loud, which is 10 dB change.

Point #3 is more along the lines of the article you referenced where they had two identical sound sources (speakers). So yes, in their example you have twice the sound power, but it is coming from TWO sources, thus the change in their summed sound power is only 3 dB. If you take it one step further and have THREE identical sources, the total log sum is the original value +6 (3+3). Point #3 is dealing with log addition where as points #1 and #2 are only examples on how a single log scale value changes.

Sorry for any confusion, and needless to say nearly all drum corps are loud when the want to be...

Ryan J

Back to topic... Any readings at finals???

What was the location of the corps in their drill when reading was taken? Were some closer to the front sideline then others.

I realize this is NOT an exact science when drill is involved, so its NOT an exact science...........

Valid question. When the CorpsVets had the most DBs last year, I recall that Torn80s location then was directly in front of where Bill Wear, myself, also many other CVs were congregated in the pit and nearby in the closer of the Vegas ending.

Back to topic... Any readings at finals???

Chirs, you just won yourself an atomic super-wedgie.

See ya at the exhibition!

:ph34r:

Valid question. When the CorpsVets had the most DBs last year, I recall that Torn80s location then was directly in front of where Bill Wear, myself, also many other CVs were congregated in the pit and nearby in the closer of the Vegas ending.

I thought he said when you were in tune you were louder...

(ducks and runs)

B) b**bs

As was requested the last time I was on this board. Here are my DB readings for finals night.

NOTE: I was on the 40 yard line (maybe a step or two outside)...side one ON THE TOP level. Still pretty close to center.

From Loudest to softest

CorpsVets - 104

Buccaneers - 102.

Renegades - 101 (tie)

Cabs - 101 (tie)

Bushwackers - 100

Minesota Brass - 99 (tie)

Empire Statesmen - 99 (tie)

Brigs - 97

Carolina Gold - 96

Hurricanes - 95

Honorable Mention (reading taken by one of MCL's visual instructors from the 45 yard line side one, top level)

Music City Legend - 96 :)

And by the way, these are ALL "extreme" volume levels. One book that I have on "sound" says..."anything above 90 DBs can cause serious hearing damage"....and then later in the paragraph says that "anyone in the midst of 90+ DBs over an extended period of time should wear ear plugs"! :)

It's easy to win overall loudest when your show is follow-the-leader. :sshh:

Did the Intonation Placements ever get posted. :sshh:

Cool thread ... bump!

1. Jim McFarland's name gets dropped - very cool.

2. Frank D. comes out of the wood-work to put in his two cents (which are worth their weight in gold and then some) ... super cool!!!

3. We get to reminisce (sp?) about log functions - ah the good ol days! ;)

4. Brasssop throws another drum corps under the bus for no apparent reason. NOT COOL AT ALL.

What is your problem, dude? I can see from your sig that you marched MBI - there is no way in heck that you bashing other corps is acceptable to them.

im sorry i wanted to keep this post positive but i saw above post and had to respond: OT and bad taste IMO.