Hmmm something I noticed about 2006

While 2006 is one of my favorite years of DCI, I i've begun to conclude that possibly this was an excellent year with Guard Books, well written, and very eye catchy. However, in terms of execution these guards don't seem to live up to 2003, 2004, and especially 2005.

Great books, but pretty noticable phasing happening left and right more so than other years.

Anyone see anything similar?

While 2006 is one of my favorite years of DCI, I i've begun to conclude that possibly this was an excellent year with Guard Books, well written, and very eye catchy. However, in terms of execution these guards don't seem to live up to 2003, 2004, and especially 2005.

Great books, but pretty noticable phasing happening left and right more so than other years.

You talking all year or Finals week? I was only in Mad-town Fri & Sat, but it was pretty windy at times.

I'm inclined to agree. Even some of the top corps and gaurds were not as clean as ussual at the end of the season. (Saw everyone at Allentown.)

It was especially noticable with almost all the weapons lines. Lots of reaching, grabbing, and barely hanging onto equipment rather than an accurate catch with good form.

I believe the written books have taken a leap forward. The triad was being explored to a great extent than even last year. More body with EQ, higher tosses, where a 5 or 6 was good now it has to be a 7 or 8 in ensemble. There is greater chance for error. The reaching for catches and not dropping them is showing that the release was slightly off, but the performer is so well trained they could compensate.

Part of it is with many of the CG judges being WGI, they probably now expect the same type of work done inside with no light or wind variables and reward the vocabulary thusly. Technique outside is so different than indoor and most drum corps do have a tendency to let things slide a little. Inside the same work if done as messy would not be competative, but individual technique has to be more defined with an EQ and MV judge sometimes less than 5 feet away. Maybe a little rambling, but you get the idea.

I agree,

I think to some extent it is the WGI influence. we are expected to toss 7's or 8's in world class now while adding body work under the toss - this is difficult enough in optimal conditions (inside with no wind) - but the same vocabulary is now being brought to DCI and can make for very messy shows on windy days.

While sabers cut the wind, rigles (especially anything over a 5) will just get blown way off course - and have you ever tried doing flag work when the wind ics coming t you!!!!!

Which is why Indianapolis is a great solution in my book - I don't think wind will be a factor there. There's nothing worse than having to perform your last show with a major gale force. It can destroy the whole guard show.

Anyone remember Crossmen in '93 at semi's - a wind storm came up for the duration of their show!!!!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

I agree about having to perform in heavy wind! Just ask the DCA Corps that performed in NY during the remains of a tropical storm! :)

After watching some of the corps on the ESPN2 special I thought that the marching was also a bit more ragged in 2006 than the last couple of seasons........

Triple Forte

Monster Guard Years = 2000 + 2003 + 2005. WHOOO

The Cavaliers 2000

The Cadets 2000

Blue Devils 2003

The Cadets 2003

Phantom Regiment 2005

The Cadets 2005 ********** OH MY GOD........... < One of the best EVER