MiniCorps' vs. Mixed Ensemble

O.K. Flame suit is on.....Fire Dept. is on speed dial so here goes.

First of all I just want to say that my purpose here is not to take away from the superb talent level of the participants in both venues (which just gets better every year) but rather to ask the intent of each catagory. Personally I am starting to see little difference between the two with the exception of the number of participants permitted.

I'm just sayin'.........Any expertise out there....?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No firesuit needed. Minicorps has max of 21 performers. Mixed HAS to be smaller...about 10??

Maybe this definition needs to be on the DCA website.

I believe mixed is max. at 11. Anyway....I guess my point is that it all seems to run together except for the numbers. I see little difference. (Flame suit is still on......) :P

I believe mixed is max. at 11. Anyway....I guess my point is that it all seems to run together except for the numbers. I see little difference. (Flame suit is still on......) :P

Man, I tell you what- playing in the "little room" as opposed to the "big room" across the street was much more fun. This is just a personal preference. DCA, please don't change this arrangement up in 2007. It was awesome playing to our buddies and comrades in mixed E in those smaller confines.

Somehow I don't think Top Gun would have been as much fun as in the big room, but who knows?

B)

The difference between Brass Ensemble and Mini Corps besides size is percusiion. No percussion allowed in Brass Ensembles. The Brass ensemble rule states only approved DCA Brass instruments no others. Can't see how I could make it easier to interprete.

But all rules will be redone this year. Possibly hand instruments will be allowed.

Thanks

Mixed Ensemble = DCI

Minicorps = DCA

Mixed Ensemble = DCI

Minicorps = DCA

Yeah.... I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is a Mixed Ensemble category at DCA I&E.

Fran

But all rules will be redone this year. Possibly hand instruments will be allowed.

Thanks

Any thought to upping the cap on Minis a tad? Having maybe 30 spots would allow for a more fleshed out percussion set-up. That and a few decibels in the room from the additional brass. Seems like a win-win.