2007 Staff & Director moves

...but then again, Cavaliers and Bluecoats have auditions there, there's a lot of staffing from TX programs in the instructional ranks of corps, and so on.

Of course, this presumes a lot of things...but one wonders what this will mean for the Crossmen's legacy.

trying to imagine Bones in a Stetson...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get, is IF this is true why buy Crossmen? Why not start your own corps if you have all that money to buy one.... :ph34r:

This is somewhat disturbing to me, it could be good and it could be very bad for the activity, if people start buying drum corps that is... and I am beginning to see a picture forming here that no one really wants to discuss....

trying to imagine Bones in a Stetson...

:spit: Bones with a cowboy hat on.... :worthy::ph34r:

Edited by Lancerlady

What I don't get, is IF this is true why buy Crossmen? Why not start your own corps if you have all that money to buy one.... :ph34r:

This is somewhat disturbing to me, it could be good and it could be very bad for the activity, if people start buying drum corps that is... and I am beginning to see a picture forming here that no one really wants to discuss....

Why not? If you want to run your own corps, having the Crossmen gives you brand name recognition right off the bat. The corps has been in the top twelve for almost all of DCI's history, making them one of the names that most fans of the acitvity would recognize right away as a quality, stable organization.

Why not? If you want to run your own corps, having the Crossmen gives you brand name recognition right off the bat. The corps has been in the top twelve for almost all of DCI's history, making them one of the names that most fans of the acitvity would recognize right away as a quality, stable organization.

I guess I don't get into the commodity aspect of buying drum corps, why not just start up one of your own...that's what I'm asking.

This was supposed to go in the thread that "drumcat" started, but aince apparently we can't talk about it without having threads locked, I guess I'll post this here until it gets locked too. :P

Positives: more access to Texas kids, UNT staff, etc...not having the feeling (at least by some) that the X-Men are second fiddle to Cadets in YEA! More identity for the X-Men,as they become truly self-sufficent.

Negatives: Unknowns such as camp locations, staff, kid retention so close to audition camps. Major upheaval is never pretty. If X-Men lost money at YEA!, how will they fare fiscally as a singular unit?

Prediction: The first year of this, if its indeed true, will prove rough. If enough people sign on, and keep the corps in the 14-17 range, then I think it may end up taking root, and being a good thing for the corps.

If X-Men lose a lot of kids, and the corps finds itself ending its season on Thursday, though...then, well, I guess you cross that bridge when you get to it.

I guess I don't get into the commodity aspect of buying drum corps, why not just start up one of your own...that's what I'm asking.

Like it or not, Running a Drum Corps is the same as running a business. When companies buy out other companies, often times if the company they buy has a better name in the industry they will rename themselves. In the case of the Crossmen, if you are trying to build up souvie sales, what better way then to have 35+ years of tradition and history to sell to? If you were in the souvie alley and you had to decide between the Crossmen through the years DVD or the one year of Joe's Drum Corps from Texas, which do you choose? ......we'll pretend the Cavies aren't at the show so you can't buy their stuff :)

Buying a corps is easy to understand:

1. You get the name brand and history, which adds a whole lot to the startup. The influence in the community of the name of an existing corps goes a long way toward getting you in the door.

2. You potentially get all or at least part of the existing staff and org structure, so you have less to build from the ground up.

The bad thing about this:

1. The history and connection to the old community and alumni could be lost. Spirit is a success story in this regard - Spirit alumni still exist and are connected emotionally to the currently relocated Spirit. Most mergers, for example, are probably the negative side -- you end up leaving behind part of the past.

2. A significant move across country can really lose the connection to the past. Spirit only moved across a state line. Sky Ryders moved two states away, and have no idea if that lost connection with others or not.

I can't image seeing the 27th Lancers name bought and moved out of Mass. It would not be the same, I think. Same for any corps that has strong roots in an existing location. That's where it becomes difficult.

Like it or not, Running a Drum Corps is the same as running a business. When companies buy out other companies, often times if the company they buy has a better name in the industry they will rename themselves. In the case of the Crossmen, if you are trying to build up souvie sales, what better way then to have 35+ years of tradition and history to sell to? If you were in the souvie alley and you had to decide between the Crossmen through the years DVD or the one year of Joe's Drum Corps from Texas, which do you choose? ......we'll pretend the Cavies aren't at the show so you can't buy their stuff :)

Well then if it's the same as running a business why do the "kids' have to fork out thousands to keep being involved in that business...IF that is the road drum corps wants to take...see my Point? :)

Are they gonna start paying the kids to march now?

Just curious about this dangerous territory it's going on...imo.