The Titan Shows of DCI

Good topic.

In all honesty, I don't believe there are that many "titan" shows in DCI history. Maybe my definition is not the same as everyone else's...I feel a "titan" show is the show that should either spring immediately to your mind when you think about that particular year, or that particular corps. Or both in combination.

1987 Garfield Cadets is my first choice for "titan" status. It was one of the first DCI shows I ever heard, and to this day it brings back a ton of memories about the early incarnation of myself.

1986 Blue Devils. Out of order chronologically, but that is because I was introduced to this show later than 87 Gah-feeld. I wore out my VHS tape of the PBS broadcast. Sophistication and utter cool. This show made me want to march Blue Devils.

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard. To me, the vry definition of showmanship in a way that -regardless of the advances in show design- has not been touched to this day. Simple, yet elegant; powerful, yet subtle...it brought tears to my eyes, literally. Possibly my favourite SCV show.

1989 Phantom Regiment. One word: WOW. Power, precision, class, and a baritone line that made grown men weep softly.

1993 Star of Indiana. It pretty much ushered in a whole new era, and fairly speaks for itself.

Ok...now...I'm going to catch some grief here, but...I can't really think of one for the Cavaliers. I mean...there are tons of shows that I have really enjoyed over the years...loved 1988 and 1989, thought 1995 was fantastic, really enjoyed 2000 and 2001, and think 2004 is an underrated show, even though it won. But none of those strike me as "titanic," which basically means that the Cavaliers still have a "titanic" show up their sleeves that they will pull out any one of these years...

The closest I come for them is -and people will disagree- the 2000 show. For me, visually, it was more creatively written than the 2001-2003 shows (even though the drill may have been harder for those years). Musically speaking, in my opinion, it has more meat in it than any show since then. And the whole marriage of the visuals and the music do it for me...it's perhaps my favourite show from the Cavaliers...but I am not sure if I would call it "titanic" yet. I feel that the Cavaliers still have that one titanic show to do, and that it's coming soon. Feel free to disagree.

Also missing is the Madison Scouts (well, a host of others are missing, but oh well...) I feel the closest they came was that 1988 show, and it can be considered fairly titanic...but it was so danged dirty, I have trouble calling it titanic.

Oh well, it's all subjective opinion anyhow, and I doubt my list matches anyone else's.

How's everyone enjoying the offseason?

P.S. If there are any Georgia or Alabama high school kids on here who want to do the FSU Tri-State Honor Bands, tell your director to go to the website (http://www.music.fsu.edu/band-tristate.htm) and fill out the Nomination form. The printing department is taking extra long with the mailed-out brochure, and I want to make sure people are able to get their forms in on time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

89 SCV

89 Phantom

91 Star

93 STAR

96 Phantom

98 SCV

99 SCV

00 Cadets

02 Cavies

04 SCV

Just my opinion...

Recent ones:

1999 SCV

2000 Cavaliers

2001 Glassmen (still can't figure out how that show isn't ranked much higher in people's minds. it's fantastic. my favorite show that year).

2002 Cavaliers

2005 Cadets

2006 Regiment. Blown...completely...away. Brain...still...melted. Titan? Heck yes.

If the O.P. meant "Clash of the Titans," then I'd say that one Crown show with the togas. :)

[runs away]

MSARP!!!

People very quickly skewed the line between "define themselves in another league" and "great shows" or "shows I personally like a lot."

Great job with the initial list. I would add BD '94 and '97 though. Both shows were machines executing at quite possibly the highest level possible at their respective times. They definitely both had that aura to it.