The Titan Shows of DCI

My very minimalistic list of corps that (in retrospect) were on a completely different level than anyone else, regardless of placement.

Cadets 87

Phantom 89

Star 93

BD 94

SCV 99

Cadets 00

Cavies 02 (as much as I hate this show, I have to give credit where credit is due)

BD 03

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone already posted it, but i think SCV '04 should DEFINATELY be up there

Believe it or not, corps/shows that DIDN'T win still sometimes had "titan" shows.....some of them were:

(feel free to add to the list)

1979, 1980, 1984, 1986 Spirit of Atlanta

1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988 Suncoast Sound

1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 27th Lancers

1989, 1990, 1992, 1993 Star of Indiana

1983, 1984, 1991 Freelancers

1984, 1988, 1992 Velvet Knights

1979, 1981, 1982, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997 Crossmen

1979, 1980 Bridgemen

1972, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, Troopers

1982, 1987, 1988 SkyRyders

1988, 1989, 1990 Dutchboy

~G~

Believe it or not, corps/shows that DIDN'T win still sometimes had "titan" shows.....some of them were:

(feel free to add to the list)

1979, 1980, 1984, 1986 Spirit of Atlanta

1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988 Suncoast Sound

1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 27th Lancers

1989, 1990, 1992, 1993 Star of Indiana

1983, 1984, 1991 Freelancers

1984, 1988, 1992 Velvet Knights

1979, 1981, 1982, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997 Crossmen

1979, 1980 Bridgemen

1972, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, Troopers

1982, 1987, 1988 SkyRyders

1988, 1989, 1990 Dutchboy

~G~

for me, the most "titan" show, is 03 Phantom, that show, brought me into drum corps. big loud, musical, lyrical, beautiful. If you classify "titanic" as something that leaves you feeling, wow, that's the most amazing thing I've ever heard, then that is it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Blue Devils fan but a lot of times I don't see them to really level themselves with a lot of these other shows.

The shows we're talking about are shows that come off the field, leaving the green on fire.

If there's a top 3 that does this job more than any other year that I've watched, it's definitely 1993. They were in Division 0.5. Phantom Regiment, Star of Indiana, and The Cadets of Bergen County were absolute gods and devils on wheels.

Edited by ApocalypseTissue

To me there aren't many.

1983 Garfield Cadets - A good friend of mine who marched in a lower top 12 corps that year said that the first time he saw this show live, he said "what is going on? what is this?".

1993 Star of Indiana - Should have won? Maybe. Lost to another great corps doing "drum corps" at an extremely high level.

2002 Cavaliers - Noone has ever acheived a brass sound like this (except 2006 Cavaliers, but without the subdued moments).

I list these three shows because, in my opinion, they changed the activity forever when they did them. 1983 Cadets got rid of the concert tune, symetrical drill, and basically showed us how to acheive "art" on the field. 1993 Star of Indiana changed the approach corps took in regard to the marching member and his/her contribution to the visual package. 2002 Cavaliers raised the bar when it comes to complete integration of music and visual.

These lists are always fun, and I probably change my mind each time I do one. But heck, after a nice long day of school, this makes for some good fun.

Here are some shows that I truly feel are TITANIC. Not all of them have won, but they were exceptionally well performed, and they have stood the test of time.

1975 Madison Scouts - Big time presence, about as big as it gets in terms of reputation, and the performance was incredible.

1979 Blue Devils - One of the classic shows of all time, amazing solos, great charts, and one heck of a great brass line

1980 27th Lancers - This show will always stand out as a truly titanic show. It was perhaps their best show ever, the show almost won, and the design concepts were way ahead of their time.

1980 Spirit of Atlanta - although this show did not win, it tends to live on in the minds of many, the show is legendary for its powerful, powerful brass, and the charts were phenominal.

1984 Garfield Cadets - The best WSS ever, and perhaps one of the best Cadets ever. Classic in every way imaginable

1986 Blue Devils - Almost perfect performance levels, great solos, and what a drumline

1987 Garfield Cadets and SCV - Both of these shows deserve mention here, because both changed the activity big time. Both were performed very well, and both put the crowd on its feet BIG TIME!!! 1987 was truly the year of the BIG 2 and the little 10, and certainly no disrespect is meant. To this day these are two of the best shows ever.

1989 Phantom Regiment - The cleanest show I have ever seen in June. One of the best performances I have seen at finals. One of the most powerful horn lines, and never did I imagine that classical music could be this much fun on the field. Total Classic!

1993 Star of Indiana - Although you can easily nominate 1990 and 1991 Star, for me 1993 set drum corps on the path it is on today. The show is still legendary and will remain so for years to come. It may be the best singular show any of us have ever seen from all angles. We were challenged beyond what we thought was possible. While not classic drum corps, this show educated all of us, even if we denied that we received the education. The bottom line is that we did. And whether we liked this show or not, no person can deny its significance to what goes on today, to the new standards in horn performance, show design, body movement, and artistry in percussion writing.

Although Nick may not have nominated 1993 Phantom, I will. To me, Phantom 1993 was the most popular show of the summer of 1993. This show was downright magical on finals night, and the horn line was to die for. Although the show went through its stages during the season, come finals week this puppy was truly classic drum corps, and its status with many, many fans is certainly embedded in their minds as perhaps the best show of the summer (fully understanding that Star was not liked by many).

1994 Blue Devils - WOW, where to begin. A new look, new feel to the music, new style, and the same amazing Blue Devils polish. Perhaps their best show ever.

1995 Madison Scouts - A Classic drum corps show in all respects, and perhaps the MOST ENTERTAINING SHOW OF ALL TIME. It did not win, but 4th place is nothing to moan about. From start to finish, this show sells every little nuance, powerful hit, and visual impact like none other. The finals night performance will live in the minds of many for years to come...and then some. If you bury me with a CD of Madison 1995 I will be very happy in heaven. Amen!!!!

2000 Cadets - We Are The Future is not only one of those rare shows that sells in a flashy, yet musical way, the show had a spit and polish to it that helped the Cadets win their 8th title. From the show and tell to the very end, this show hits you over the head with power and excitement...and what a drumline!

2002 Cavaliers - In terms of the Cavies greats, for which there are many, this one stands out. 2002's Frameworks gives us the rare glimpse at one of the most effective and most demanding visual programs of all time, and all of this is strengthened by one of the most balanced and musical horn lines to hit the field in many years. Almost perfection at finals, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't bring up this show when top 10 lists are given for best shows of all time.

My final TITANIC show is: (at least for now)

2005 Phantom Regiment - Here we have a show that sells every nuance, it brings Gershwin to the field in a way never before seen, much more like a Broadway production, with brilliant choreography and play-acting that would make Steven Spielberg proud. The timing of everything in this show, the amazing arrangements, the great brass and drums, and the fact that this show was the undisputed fan favorite makes this Phantom production one of the Titanic shows of all time. Although many are still wowed by what Phantom did this past summer, as they should be, I do believe that this will be this show that stands the test of time while earning its place in legened and lore.

Jonathan

Edited by jwillis35

A titan show....the 1965 Chicago Royal Aires, who came out of nowhere -- nowhere, I tell ya! -- and swept the CYO, American Legion and VFW Championships. No one saw 'em coming. That was titan!! And yeah, there was titan before there was DCI..........*G*